Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Smile House, Bophut - JamesA or anyone else?

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking of staying at Smile House in Bophut next August in one of their 3 bed teak villas with another family. I did a search on here for Smile House and saw that you had previously recommended it JamesA. Can you confirm something for me - I think it is not on beachfront land but across the road from the beachfront. Is that right? If so, is the walk to the beach very far (we are with toddlers)?

Any views generally on Smile House or its location also welcomed. The other place we are considering in Bophut is Peace Resort but we like the look of Smile House as we can get this 3 bed villa and the reviews are consistently good on sawadee.com.

Also, it looks as though it is very close to the centre of the fishermans' village - we were thinking of this as a plus but does anyone think that could be a minus?

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I've seen Smile House on Bophut and it's a very clean place with a fine pool surrounded by palm trees. There's a narrow one-lane road between Smile and the beach, but it's not the main drag and so has very little traffic. So you're probably just 20 meters from the beach, which isn't much here. Nice for sunsets but you'll probably spend more time around the pool.

And Smile is on the edge of small town of Bophut, so convienent for quick shopping, cafes, etc. I'd recommend the place.

Peace Bungalows are popular and the beach is superior, but it's somewhat isolated out in the middle of the Samui north coast.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 09:57 AM

As Friskodude says, Yup, not on the beach, you have to watch description warnings very carefully!

Samui actually has a lot of places for groups and familes together but rarely are these absolute beachfront unless you are paying a fortune, it is often a trade-off, if you don't mind being right on the beach you can find more spacious accommodation often, but you have to balance that against say peace resort where you are on the beach. Samui has quite a lot of 'vacation rentals', probably more than most islands/beach areas but beachfront land seing 'so' expensive ( as it would be anywhere in the world ) you need more rooms to equal more bucks to cover that cost.

Corto Maltese Resort also has connecting rooms and a range of rooms for families.

I don't know what your budget is and I have never stayed in this place but it has good write-ups in local Thai magazines and that is Rocky resort, though I think the name comes from rocks in the sea(! Maybe )

http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/samui/rocky/pictures/

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks friskodude and JamesA - I think we will stay at Smile House. It sounds like the road is not a busy one and I've checked sawadee again and there are some more recent reviews which are also very postive. It is well within our price range also.

JamesA - we are getting married at Rocky Resort on 9 August next year, so pleased to hear it gets good write ups in local magazines! We booked the wedding directly with them on the recommendation of a friend who stayed there and, to date, nothing has been too much trouble so we are really pleased we chose that resort. I think the beach may a little rocky - it is not a great swimming beach I have heard reported - but the great plus for us is that it is relatively private as compared to Chaweng etc. I think the 'rocky' bit refers to the giant rocks that are on the beach - similar to grandfather and grandmother rock.

We have a lovely suite on the beachfront whilst we are there and also a beachfront cottage at Ko Tao Resort. Having stayed in two beachfront rooms, we are happy to be next to the pool at Smile House as we really want to stay in Bophut and this looks good for the kids.

thanks all
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:01 PM

peace resort is not far away as stated above....it is less than a 10-15 minute walk along the beach or the beach and road combo....it is very close...