Search

Port Douglas Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port Douglas Help

We stayed at the Sheraton mirage a few years back, and don't need to do that again. This time, we're considering staying at Thala in the rainforest. It's about 10 miles south of town. Has anyone stayed recently? Did you shuttle into town, or just spend the whole time at Thala? If we don't stay there, we'll stay right in town. Any recommendations for a relaxing, quiet place for adults? We did backpacking yrs ago, and now that middle age is here, we can afford a different experience. thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:30 PM

most the cat - Thala is near Oak Beach which is more eucalyptus forest than rainforest with glorious views over Coral Sea, as you say about 15 minutes drive south of PD. A more rainforesty experience is nearby Silky Oaks near Mossman, a little north of PD. Bloomfield Wilderness Lodge is more remote than either, only accessible by seaplane - on the coast in rainforest north of Cape Tribulation.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pat. I have read your advice to others, and you really seem to know your stuff! Thala does sound nice (as do the others). I just wonder if we might feel too isolated away from town. I like the idea of being out there, but have never been to keen on having to do all meals at the resort or hotel. In town, we had recommendations on Verandahs, Boathouse, and Villa San Michele. If we opt to stay in town, has anyone been to these?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Hello-

We just returned and we stayed in town. It was on the end of the main street facing the beach. Very nice, very quiet and good food. It is adults only, so no kids at the pool and right across from the beach. We had a gorgeous view from our balcony. The room also included a living, dining, and small kitchen space.

We were able to walk to all the shops and eateries in town.

We stayed at the Peninsula Boutique Hotel. Breakfast was included each morning by the pool and they have free transfer to and from the airport.

-Amanda

Good luck with your trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Amanda. I'm going to look at the website right now. It sounds really nice. We really like the town. So laid back and easy to do nothing. I'm in Chicago too, and it's in the 70s, but come February, I will be so happy to be there!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Yes, you are limited with restaurant choices at Thala, unless you drive into PD and that would limit any wine consumption! I don't know if it has a shuttle into PD. Being up on a hill, it does have gorgeous views. You might also have a look at Palm Cove, very pretty place, not as developed as PD but has plenty of restaurants. Angsana Resort is actually on beach at PC and mostly everying else is just across esplanade from beach.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Pat,

Thank you. Angsana looks wonderful. Perhaps Palm Cove is the way to go. I have gone from few choices to too many. Not a bad change at all.

Yes, wine is very important.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Hi Mosthecat,
Just to confuse you even more there is a new resort opening in Palm Cove On August 13 called The Sea Temple Resort and Spa.Like The Angsana it is right On the beach.Although of course it has not been reviewed yet it looks stunning on its website.Also worth taking a look at is The Outrigger In Palm Cove which while not right on the beach is just over the road.
Website for Sea Temple:www.juniper.com.au
Website for ourrigger:www.outrigger.com
We will be in Palm Cove in 2 weeks and will check these places out.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 09:22 PM

hi just back from port douglas and a horrendous (but free) stay at the sherton mirage the depths of which were only wiped away by the absolute blissful experience of outriggers ocean beach club in palm cove. worth every penny and i would not hesitate to suggest it to you for r and r. stunning, new spacious and excellent breakfasts at husk and wide choice of dining.
the sea temple is not walkable to town. you would have to either wade across the break in the beach or take a very long dark walk just to get to the section that is near to the angsana, which is already on the last inch of town. it is an apartment style place and not opened yet at all, and no restuarants at all (stopped into the selling office). the web site does not convey the very business park like exterior.
anyway, if you can get a room, the outrigger is the best place to be.
and if i hadn't made the point loud and clear folks, my stay was free at the sheraton and it was still the worst value for the money ever. a totally bus station ambiance with no service and complete and uttrer non responsiveness from the staff. i've been lucky enough to stay at more than a few really deluxe places in my life and this "aint" one of them. don't be fooled by their web site photos, either, only a small fraction of the rooms have been renovated the rest look like merv griffin's show set from the 1970's. landscaping given zero thought, every room faces a lounge chair, every lounge chair faces a room. ick ick ick. and they are slugging people over 400 AUD a night. it's not worth the memory even if you can stay there for free!
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:39 PM

kerikeri,
Thanks for the lowdown on The Outrigger in Palm Cove.We have booked our first two nights there,thinking we might then move over to the Sea Temple after it opens but after your comments I think we will just stay put!
Shooshy
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:20 AM

hi shooshy-
it will be really easy to "inspect" sea temple from the outrigger...if you can tear yourself away! (it will be really hard to do that).

while there, definitely bother to find the "hidden" pool at the back of the resort- and the ultra-modern waterfalls between the buildings. at that other pool you can listen to the birds in the maleleauca trees or just watch the water gurgle...so jealous. and there are beach chairsa right by the lifesavers stand for your use there. i could easily have spent a week at outrigger...and there's a laundry in your apartment suite- so clean clothes for the rest of your trip! definitely get the apartment and not just the spa room. if you can, check into pricing for the rooftop terraces! so jealous! have a great great time!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:23 AM

p.s.
hi pat woolford! the reason i never stopped in to find your b and b to say hi and thanks for your endless great advice in person is that once i checked into outrigger, i was sad to go for a walk, let alone a short drive. next time...(when work's not treating...)
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:21 PM

Hi kerikeri - that's OK, don't blame you not wanting to extract yourself from Outrigger. Glad to hear that your experience there made up for the Sheraton at PD - must admit I haven't been into Sheraton for a few years - it must have really gone off. What was worse - the grounds or the rooms?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:10 PM

so glad you asked as this is my new favorite topic:
both- everything!
my overall impression was: why would anyone want to be here? this was based on the lack of appeal of the entire resort.
there is no beach sitting. they do not provide chairs or even a view of the beach. you must ferret out the hole in the hedge (10 feet tall at least) that allows beach entry and then hope you remember which twig to duck in for the return trip as there is no clear demarcation!
the only "grounds" are the cement pathways that encircle the buildings and the artificial lagoon. there are no charming little courtyards or quiet spots for contemplation.
there was no attempt at atmosphere. at the time i did not realize this place was 18 years old, but now it makes sense. the reputation as the cool latest thing may have worked in the 1980s but no way does this hold a candle to even a modest place in palm cove.
the rooms! at 400AUD a night and up you expect an updated room. it turns out that the majority of rooms have not been updated since the hotel's opening. that means tired furnishings, very 70-s looking club chairs with rounded backs, worn bedspreads with a faded motif. grandma's fussy table lamps.
when a bellman walked me to the room he said something along the lines of everyone having the same exact complaint and that management would likely offer an upgrade for an additional 50AUD a night.
had i paid the money myself i would have been out of there after the first phone call to management whose attitude was tough luck.
on the way to the room at 1pm i passed several clusters of dirty dishes in the breezeways, cracked walkways just an all around feeling of being at a budget property.
there was nothing at all enjoyable about sitting around the lagoons because every chair faced either the hedge blocking the ocean or the buildings.
the fitness center! a 1km "stroll" from the hotel was so old that i expected jack la lane to come out to teach a class or toss me a medicine ball. seriously this place was surprising for being a starwood and for being on any top list at all. if you have to overnight somewhere, fine, but as a destination, no way. i cannot fathom how anyone would enoy this experience over even a simple place in palm cove. there is nothing to it.
and this is without mentioning that they could not provide fax or internet service for the entire first day or our conference!
please please please stay anywhere else! for fun i walked across to the radisson tree tops. i could only see a room through the window- at least they had made it to the 90's there and the grounds were lovely and jungly feeling- with little briudges and a theme. the theme at the sheraton was "we're it and take it or leave it."
whew! you've been warned!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:22 AM

Seeing you have stayed at Port before and want a quiet place for adults then Palm Cove is tailor made for your needs this time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:28 AM

I noticed also a new resort to open at Palm Cove called Mango something. Or something Mango. Anyway it had Mango in it's name somewhere!. I think it opens next year sometime but is about .5km away from beach but looks great.

The resorts along the beach are priority though.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow. I was away for a couple days, and look at all this conversation. Luckilly, I already did my stay at the Mirage, and, while too gigantic for my tastes, it was still kept up, things must have really gone downhill. Anyway, even more places to check out now!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM

If you're traveling with other adults, take a look at:

http://www.portdouglashill.com/index.html

We just left there last week, and it was great to be right in town, have nice privacy, great views and be able to have a luxury kitchen to do morning meals in and such. We even had our own "barbie"!