Reload this Page >

Favorite Port Douglas Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:30 AM
JKA

What is your favorite place to stay in Port Douglas? <BR><BR>We will be there in early Septemeber for 3 nights. We are looking for someplace nice but not extravagant. Location & atmosphere are more important than luxury amenties. We are also looking for a good value.<BR><BR>Any ideas?

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
James

Port Douglas is one of my favorite places on Earth. Nice people, great food, and plentiful accommodations. We have stayed at Beaches and Mandalay Apartments in the last few years and were quite happy. In years past we stayed at the Sheraton Mirage, but it is now very expensive and starting to become a little dated. Worth a visit though! There are lots of good web sites with information and pictures. September is one of the best times to go to the reef. Very good visibility.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:59 PM
s

I stayed at the Best Western in Port Douglas which was within close driving distance to the beach and downtown. It had another name which I don't remember but it is a Best Western branch. The rooms were very comfy and clean and staff were nice. I rate it.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:27 PM
rds

JKA<BR>we just got back from Australia and spent three nights in Port Douglas at the Peninsula hotel. It's the only hotel in the town area I saw with ocean views as it is across the street from the northern end of Four Mile Beach. (some rental apartments have ocean views) Look up their website. They offer a good complimentary buffet breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, toast fresh fruits and other things that will lower your effective cost. The also have a kitchen/refrigerator/microwave in each room and also have a laundry room (with soap) that is free for guests. It seems very isolated yet is within 300 yards of the beginning of town. It is a very modern and somewhat artistic/eclectic place with a great atmosphere and great personal service. You can hear the ocean at night! I highly recommend the Pensisula - my wife left her walking shorts and we found it in the mail at our house when we returned!

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Mina

I vote for where I stayed...Hibiscus gardens. Within 5 minutes or less to the Marina, 4 mile beach, and Macrossan Street (main drag). It's nice, done in Balinese style. Not luxury though. It was a great value. I got a one bedroom for $130AUD.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:03 AM
JKA

Thanks for the suggestions. There seems to be so many options in that area. Any hotels/areas of town we should avoid all together??

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Texas Girl

I vote for Port Douglas Terrace. it is next door to Beaches and I believe, owned by the same people but less expensive. We had 2bed,2bath,and balconies, living, dining, full kitchen with washer dryer and it was less than$100US per night. You walked across the street and were on 4MI.Beach. One balcony and the living porch faced the beach the other overlooked the pool. What a beautiful view we had at sunrise and sunset. 10 min walk to Macrosan main drag thru town, or about$5 by taxi and there are public buses you can hop on too. Highly recommend this place. Staff was quite nice as well and there was a little restuarant on site for a great breakfast or lunch.