Reload this Page >

Qantas comfort and service?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:48 AM
judy

I will be taking my first flight on Qantas next week, flying coach class to Melbourne. How does Qantas comfort and roominess compare with Delta? Do they provide anything special (extra movies, food, etc.) to help passengers make it through the 15 hour flight? For example, are there videos for each seat in Coach? <BR><BR>We leave LA at 11 p.m. and arrive in Melbourne about 8 a.m. I'm assuming they encourage sleeping for the first hours, at least.<BR><BR>Can anyone tell me what to expect? I frequently fly to Europe from the US, usually on Delta, and would like a comparison in terms of service, schedule, space, amenities, etc. on Qantas.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Mark

Qantas are good ... but hard to compare with Delta as they dont fly this part of the world that i'm aware of. I frequently float between Australia/New Zealand/USA for work and the service is pretty standard in business class so i'd guess its standard in economy as well. United is a good choice if they are runnin as they have limited flights, and personally i think Air New Zealand do give just a lil bit more to their passengers, but otherwise standard. Usually most flights like this stop in Auckland, New Zealand for a couple of hours and pick up passengers enroute to Melbourne as its a fairly popular route for the airlines and NZers do have this obsession with popping over to australia.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:35 PM
bob roberts

I don't like Qantas any more. Seats are very cramped - servies is arrogant and mediocre. You can be a memebr of their club, but unless you are flying on THEIR airline that day, you cannot use it. That is garbage. Once they were a great airline. Today most of us try to get onto Virgin Blue for domestic travel, or Air NZ or anyone else for overseas.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:10 PM
pat

Was on Qantas twice in the last 8 months, the last time being in Feb. The first time we flew, service was good. This last time, they had done away with a lot of little things, like hot towels, and frequent servings of iced water. Since you are flying economy, try to get rows 70 on back as there are only 2 seats across, (these are the seats near the windows, not the seats in the middle of the plane.) Further forward, there are 3 seats across, so it is more cramped. Last time we went, we did have individual TV screens, so that made it nice. Coming back, we had an older plane so we didn`t even have that. There is an seating chart on the Qantas web site. They showed 5 movies plus some shorts. It is a long flight!

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Judy

Thanks to all of you for this information. I should be prepared for a tedious and rather uncomfortable flight, apparently, so will bring food and water for myself and various entertainment. Five movies...? Hopefully I can sleep through several of them, and here's hoping the rest are worth watching!<BR><BR>I'm sure my visit to Australia will make it all worth it, but was hoping for a little better conditions for the flight.<BR><BR>Thanks again for the info.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:22 AM
pat

I don`t think you need to take food. We had plenty. Water might be good, but if you ask, you can probably get some anyway. Also, they do serve free alcohol on board. I have taken the flight from LAX to Melbourne, and, no you don`t stop in New Zealand. You eat dinner shortly after takeoff. Then they show a couple of movies, then it`s sleep time. Usually, if we have time in LAX, we go over to the restaurant "The Encounter" and sit and have a drink. It is across the street from Air NZ. It is one of those restaurants where you can sit, have a drink and watch the planes taking off and landing. It is on the top floor of the building. Weather should be pretty good in Melbourne. We went in late May and it was a little chilly, but nice. Then we went in Feb, and it was hotter than heck. At least the flight won`t last forever! They do give you a little kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, and a shield for your eyes.

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Judy

Pat, thanks a lot. Your post was very helpful. I was wondering about the timing of the meal and the movie(s). It all sounds quite similar to a European destination flight, only longer, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. We are going to be in row 76, which you suggested earlier. I hope the seats recline!<BR><BR>We're taking fall-ish clothes, light jacket for the evenings, things we can layer. How direct is the sun this time of year? Did you use sunscreen or find you needed a hat?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Mary

Judy,<BR>melbourne is currently having its warmest May for something like 20 years. it's been 24-26 celsius during the day for the last 5 days. Normal May temps are around 20. However it can't last!! You're right with your suggestion of layers - you'll need a jacket for the evenings at least.<BR>The sun is still quite fierce - if you don't want to bring sunscreen - it's available almost everywhere.<BR>I hope you have a fabulous time - welcome to Melbourne!

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Judy

Mary: Thanks so much for the information. Your comments were very helpful. We'll be arriving in Melbourne on the 18th and are prepared for the variable weather.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Mary

If you are comparing Qantas with Delta then you are comparing chalk and cheese. No US Airline comes within spitting distance of Qantas, the seats are better, the service is better, the food is better, the drinks are free and better - the whole plane is better. We avoid American planes whenever possible as they rate very badly against most other aircraft

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Steve

Mary, I agree that most foreign carriers provide much better inflight service than US carriers. But Quantas uses Boeing aircraft, which are American planes. I am pretty confident that Boeing manufactures the best aircraft in the world.

Old May 27th, 2002, 11:30 AM
mary

I won´t go into discussing the merits or otherwise of Boeing because I am not an aircraft engineer, except to say that Rolls Royce engines are not to be sneezed over either. <BR>On the point of service in US and non US aircraft - I am a member of the Qantas club and as such I get to use the Admirals Club when I fly on American airlines. All of the airlines in Oneworld with exec. lounges have special services for their members. In Australia and the rest of the world they have breakfast and lunch etc as well as self service of alcoholic drinks, and just about anything else. At American Airlines Admirals Club they have a sign saying they sell sandwiches!!!!! Need I say any more?