hotel recommendations in Port Douglas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in the Port Douglas area. So far looked at Raddion, Comfort Inn and Rydges
thanks for any help
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

are there any???

pleaseeee
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Hi British - if you do a search for accommodation in Port Douglas you'll find loads of recommendations for accommodation. I live in the area so have no experience of hotel rooms, but have a fair idea of where everything is. Radisson and Comfort Inn in Port Douglas are quite some way out of town, sorry, I can't remember where Rydges is. Maybe someone else can help here.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Port Douglas for 2 nights in August. We used my Choice Privileges points for a free stay so I can't comment on value for the price. The room had a kitchen area with mini-fridge, I don't remember a microwave though. There is also a bbq grill outside that guest can use. There is no breakfast included. It is out of town but we had a rental car to go into town to get groceries. Tour companies (Wavelength and Tony's Tropical Tours) picked us up at the hotel. The room had a funny smell but we were only there to sleep. Great water pressure and plenty of hot water in the shower.

We picked up other people on the tour who were staying at the Raddison and it looked nice from the outside.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM

When I first started researching my trip to Port Douglas in 2001, I assumed I would stay in a hotel. But I found that most accommodations are actually full-service apartments, catering to 3-7 night stays. I ended up booking a 2 bedroom apartment (with a friend), which was great. It had a full kitchen, washer and dryer, was 1 block from the beach and walking distance to a grocery store and all the shops and restaurants in PD. There are several websites to help you, including www.pddt.com.au and www.great-barrier-reef.com. PD is a great place to stay for great barrier reef trips, as well as rainforest adventures.
Martha
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:46 PM

Hi British,
Comfort Inn, would be the closest of the three to get to the town centre.
They are old motel style accommodation, but clean.
Rydges are getting a little on the aged side and need a little revamping.
Radisson Treetops have just been refurbished and seems to be quite nice. They have just added a spa room.
The only down side is that Radisson is the furthest from the Town centre, although a shuttle bus picks up from reception area every 20 minutes.