Cairns/Port Douglas/Daintree/Palm Cove

Mar 30th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Cairns/Port Douglas/Daintree/Palm Cove

The people on this site are absolutely wonderful. Thanks for all of your help!

I am trying to plan the third leg of my trip in mid May. The first part will be in Sydney for 4 nights followed by 3 nights in Hayman. I have 6 additional nights to plan before flying out of Sydney. The 6th night we'll be staying in Sydney.

A few questions:

What is the best way to get from Hayman or Hamilton island to Cairns or Port Douglas?

How would you split up 5 days in Cairns/Port Douglas/Daintree/Palm Cove? I thought we might like to spend 2 or 3 nights at Silky Oaks. It also sounds like David Armbrust's tour is wonderful. Any suggestions on other places to stay? Is it best to have a car in this area?

Thanks so much,
Amy
Mar 31st, 2004, 03:45 AM

Hi amyw,
Regarding Cairns/Port Douglas/Daintree/Palm Cove?
Pesonally I would just choose one resort and stay there for the 5 days.
They are all within an hour or two by bus, why waste time swapping hotels.
If you have a car it makes it easy to see most things in the area.

Muck
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:09 AM

I think you need to stay in Cairns. I can recommend a good place to stay there, if you'd like.

Let's get a couple of things out of the way first. If the thought of encountering a gecko on the way to the pool fills you with terror, this is not the place for you. If you are horrified at the thought of flocks of tropical birds flying overhead, this is not the place for you. If the smell of tropical flowers is going to upset your appreciation of breakfast, this is not the place for you. If you recoil in horror at the thought of having to walk a couple hundred feet to some of the best restaurants in Cairns, this is not the place for you. If all those sound like a benefit instead of a hindrance, you need to check Lilybank B&B ( http://www.lilybank.com.au ).

It is in a beautifully restored historic Queenslander, about a 5 minute drive from the airport. (And that is if the cabby takes his time.) Being that close, I can't say I recall ever being disturbed the the sound of planes taking off or landing ... but it did make it very convenient.

Your choice of continental or cooked breakfast comes with your accommodation price, and the food is very good. When I was there the menu included lamb and salmon as well as the more traditional bacon and eggs. Because it's small, it's quiet, if you don't count the occasional vocal bird flying by. The size also means you get to meet fellow guests and share your experiences.

Your hosts (Pat and Mike) are very helpful, and will be glad to help you select from among the things to do in and around Cairns. They'll make bookings for you, help you find what you want to eat, and generally do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable. I almost felt like I was visiting with old friends rather than staying in a guest accommodation.
Mar 31st, 2004, 03:21 PM

With Qantas (codeshare) you can fly directly daily from Hamilton Island to Cairns. From Cairns, Port Douglas is 1 hr drive north. There are airport transfers for abt $25 pp one way, or you could oick your rental car from the airport.
I think you're better off basing yourself in 1 place and a car is very handy for getting about.
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:08 AM

I would suggest spending the full 5 days in Port Douglas. I spent 6 nights there a few years ago and loved it. There's so much to do from Port Douglas, including reef trips and rainforest adventures. I went on the full day David Ambrust trip and really loved it. He will pick you up from your accommodations in Port Douglas. Silky Oaks is a fair distance from Port Douglas, out by itself, and looked very nice, although I didn't stay there. David Ambrust picked up another couple there for the day tour.
Martha