Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Ohmygosh, how could I forget the Big Trout!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we left Jenolan Caves, we headed out the less direct (to Sydney) winding road because the more direct road is closed to out-going traffic from 1145 to 1345 to let the tour busses come down. So we headed towards Oberon through truly beautiful countryside. Then we saw the big trout, YEA! took the obligatory picture, and headed east.
Sally and Randy
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:27 PM

First fodorite to see the big trout!
what did the motel look like?
can u post the pic?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:39 PM

I thought the Big Trout was in the Snowy Mountains - must have swum north a bit.

The get around, thnese big things. My favourite is still the Big Prawn, at Ballina.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:51 AM

What big things do we have?

Big Banana,
Big Guitar
Big Prawn
Big Wine Bottle

Why do we do this? Can anyone name all our big things?
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:51 AM

I saw a big VB can pic somewhere in the outback lol
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM

Jane47, the list could be almost endless. There is the big oyster, big pineapple (soon to close unfortunately), big potatoe, big pavlova, big lobster, big trout (one at Oberon and the other down near Lake Eucembene), big guitar, etc, etc,
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:55 PM

and there's a big gumboot at Tully, near where AndrewDavid had his adventure with the flood.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

John, any hints on how to post the picture? I could email it to you, if you want. The motel was sort of plain looking, in a residential area, but the people were happy to have us take the picture (we asked.) I didn't see any trout streams around, but the signs sure indicated that this area was the place to catch them.
Pat--what's a gumboot? Big or otherwise.
Sally
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:00 PM

A gumboot is useful footwear for slogging through the small lakes created by the floods at the Tully River Crossing.

A/D
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Some libellous Australians still believe that gumboots are used in New Zealand for immobilising sheep. They're waterproof rubber boots that reach about halfway up the calf. I'd better make it clear that when I say "calf" I'm talking about the lower leg, otherwise the Kiwis will have a story they can use on us.

I think the Snowy Mountains Big Trout is at Adaminaby, NSW. It's not in itself a very good reason to go there. But then, what Big Thing is?

Bowen in Queensland has a Big Mango which I believe was the cause of some local embarrasment after it was erected and found to be upside down. Although why either end of a mango should be regarded as the top, or the bottom, I don't know. I read that in order to attract Japanese tourists a local wrote a song called "Konichiwa Big Mango". Whether this has created the anticipated tourist boom I couldn't say, but I doubt it.

Goulburn, New South Wales, has a Big Merino (sheep) known as "Rambo". This was the highlight of a failed campaign to attract New Zealand tourists.

A campaign to erect a Big Cane Toad in the town where these beasts were first released failed miserably, and rumour has it that the proponent was lynched. The cane toads were introduced to wipe out the cane beetle, an assignment they failed miserably in, preferring to wipe out almost everything else that got in their way.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:21 PM

When we passed the giant Mango in Bowen, there was nary a tourist in sight, Japanese or otherwise. It was difficult to tell in the gloamin' as to its orientation, sexual ,or topological. However I thought I heard someone whistling Toru Takemitsu's "Air for Solo Flute". but that might have been a classically trained dingo.

A/D
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM

Has anyone seen Gumeracha's giant rocking horse? What's it like?

A/D
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Reassuringly, it looks just like you would expect a giant Rocking Horse to look! Great handmade wooden toys available from the attached shop tho.