SD to SB to Big Sur, need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a last minute labor day driving trip to some places we've never been. Here's what we're thinking: We'll drive from San Diego to Santa Barbara Thursday, spend two nights in SB wine tasting and sight seeing, then drive to Big Sur, stopping at the Heast Castle on the way. Can anyone explain Big Sur to me? It seems like hotels are quite sparse and expensive. Should we just drive all the way to Monterey where there is more activity? I was picturing a quiet cabin with crashing ocean beneath us, hiking and wildlife watching. We also like to eat at restaurants. Where is the best place to stay in Big Sur that's not off the charts expensive but close to beautiful scenery and nice restaurants? We were hoping to spend around 180 a night.
Any recommendations from folks familiar with these areas is much appreciated!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Don't skip Big Sur! It is one of the most beautiful places in America. I did a similar trip, driving up the PCH (though I started in LA) and stopping at Hearst Castle. The hiking is wonderful. Lodging is tricky, though. Some of the finest hotels in the world are there (notably The Post Ranch Inn and Ventana)- a "crashing ocean beneath" may not be in your budget (I know it wasn't in mine.) Still, check out the websites, you may be so tantalized, you decide to reallocate funds! I wound up going the more rustic route- staying at the Big Sur Lodge (privacy, no phones, TV, etc.) As I was there in winter, I appreciated the wood fireplace in the room. The accommodations were comfortable and the people were friendly. We spent one night, and set out early a.m. for a spectacular morning hike and lunch at Nepenthe (the Ventana restaurant overlooking the Pacific.) Then, hit the road to Monterey. I'd recommend you consider the Lodge...and make reservations at the restaurants at Ventana and the Post Ranch. Again, Big Sur is not to be missed- settle for modest accommodations and spend your time outside!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Big Sur is definitely sparse. It is a pretty remote area of the coast with very little access other than Hwy 1. There are some roads that go over the mountain, but I think most of them are private roads.

I don't know of any place in Big Sur like you are thinking. The Big Sur Lodge is reasonably priced. It is in a nice spot along the river and there is a restaurant there. Lots of opportunities for hiking nearby.

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:57 PM

doodlebugg:

Most of that 'crashing waves' stuff is located at the southern end of Big Sur.
Check out the following website:

bigsurcalfiornia.org

it'll give you all kinds of suggestions for staying near the ocean. Ragged Point, Gorda, Lucia are the places that you are looking for. Suggest that you spend one night in Santa Barbara and the second night in one of those small "towns".

For hiking, check out

pelicannetwork.com

Listing more hikes than you (or I) could ever want to do! The best short and easy hikes are the ones to McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and the numerous small hikes at Point Lobos (which is just 2 miles south of Carmel and not properly part of Big Sur). Gorgeous views will reward you at both these places.

As others have mentioned, Big Sur is a beautiful place to visit. The owners of the properties in Big Sur want to keep it pristine. I'd say they have succeeded immensely well.

Have a safe trip!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Big Sur is Amazing! When I went I did go the camping route, so no hotel experience, but here's what I can tell you:
*The Ventana Inn- probably too expensive, but awesome
*Some of the campsites also have private cabins, (look up Big Sur Camping on the web) but nothing secluded or overlooking the ocean. Most of the breathtaking scenery is found either on HWY 1 or in any of Big Sur's beautiful state parks. I recommend Andrew Molena State Park. If you are a hiker, do the entire 8 mile loop- there's something different and wonderful at every turn.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM

We stayed at Lucia Lodge on a whim once -- charming cottages, with the crashing ocean right below. Lucia is one of those "blink and you'll miss it" places along Highway One...just one little restaurant, with grocery store/gas station, and cottages down the path.

Check this site for info about the entire Central Coast drive -- lodging, dining, recommended sightseeing, etc.:
http://www.centralcoasttourist.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:44 PM

If you don't already have reservations, you may not have a lot of choices in lodging, no matter where you decide to stay.

Good luck!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:00 PM

Sorry for the typo

That was

bigsurcalifornia.org
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Consider this: with all the high praise Big Sur has received online, in books, and by authors of other books (Hemingway, etc.) with the history of the area - wherever you want to be, so do 3500 other people any given weekend. Add to that cocktail a 3day wknd for many people + the last hurrah of the summer before school starts for the kids...

Most of the nice places in Big Sur (and Napa, BTW) require 2night minimum on the weekends.

Cabin and other reservations are made 3 months in advance.

You might stay in Monterey and day trip very easily to Big Sur - but anyone traveling w/in a 100-mile radius really needs to spend some time in Big Sur.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 06:14 AM

You have got some great suggestions -- unfortunately most are probably useless to you. You are talking about Labor Day Weekend -- and just 3 weeks from now. Finding a place in Big Sur for that Sunday night would be about as easy as finding one at Yosemite Lodge.

TripleSecDelay is totally right.

Most places worth writing home about anywhere along the coast will have a 2 or 3 night minimum, and will probably already be full. Plus the traffic will be nuts; do you already have reservations at San Simeon? Labor Day Weekend is usually even busier than 4th of July.

Can you schedule your trip for another weekend in the middle of Sept? You would love he whole area -- but IMHO you are about 3 months too late planning for Labor Day.