Search

Planning Help Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Kim

Planning Help Needed!!

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Australia this December. We plan to stay for approx 3 weeks. I have no idea how to begin the planning process of where to go,how long to stay, ect... We are both outdoor /adventure buffs. We are also considering NZ- is there time to work that trip in? HELP!!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:35 PM
John in Miami

Kim,<BR><BR>Give a few more details about your interests (hiking, biking, diving, etc.) and your budget and I'm sure you'll get heaps of responses from the board. Also, use the search to look up info from previous posts. <BR><BR>I used this forum to plan our three week trip and the advice I got was excellent. Have a great trip!<BR><BR>John in Miami

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Kim

Thanks John-our main interest are hiking, biking and water sports. We would also love to try hang gliding-we are open to almost anything. Our budget is moderate- we are still researching to find out what the budget needs to be. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:37 AM
kathy

Hi Kim<BR><BR>Once again try www.purenz.com to get ideas on the sightseeing and what will interest you, then plan the times you need for these interests.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:06 PM
liz

OK if you are outdoor types and like hang-gliding, biking, hiking and water sports then the Gold Coast area in Australia has all that and more, particularly if you are on a moderate budget - mainly because it is Australia's top tourist area it caters for all types of budgets and therefore has everything to offer. <BR>The Gold Coast is much more than beaches and water-ways it has a wonderful hinterland which you can explore for hiking and biking ( if you are talking motor biking it has some of the loveliest biking hills and valleys into New South Wales that are absolutely magnificent). If you are talking about push-bikes then there are many, many areas that are easily accessible and very pretty to ride around. <BR>I live on Tamborine Mountain where there is a Weekend hang gliding gathering of people who like to jump/fly off perfectly good mountains. <BR>Again about 3/4 hour drive from the coast is the Lamington Plateau with beautiful rainforests, national parks, waterfalls, wonderful walks ( you can actually walk the entire border ranges if you like - it takes about 5 days. <BR>As for water sports, then the Gold Coast has everything you can hire house boats, b-b-que boats, power boats, fishing boats, water skiis, and everything else that you can think of. You can have water sports on the Ocean, waterways, rivers, lakes etc etc. There are waterways where you can just go and fish and waterways that you can play on. There are islands close by that you can play with Dolphins, get lost in or just ride your bikes around on. <BR>If this sounds like you then let me know and I will suggest a couple of web sites which can help you narrow things down.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Jean

Would like to know the websites. Son and girl friend will be spending three months in Oz Nov/Feb. Loved Tambourine Mountain area myself. Thanks

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:39 PM
liz

Hi again<BR>One of the web sites is:<BR>http://www.wotson.com.au/Index.html<BR>which should give you an overview of the area. However if you consider that the Gold Coast is only the Northern part of the experience you can check out the other spots on a map. Further south is the Tweed Valley and even further you can go through some wonderful country to Byron Bay and from the lookout/lighthouse you will get an idea of the extent of beaches and countryside of eastern Australia. <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 04:09 PM
Christina

Kim,<BR><BR>My hubby & I just got back from 1 week NZ..2 weeks OZ. You sound like the same type of couple as us. <BR><BR>My advice..don't spend much time in Auckland or Sydney. They are just another touristy big city. <BR><BR>In NZ we went repelling into the Lost World cave at Waitomo, snowboarding & Hang Gliding in Queenstown. I heard there is plenty of other adventure activities in December (summer), including hiking,biking & paragliding.<BR><BR>Kangaroo Island, Australia (off of Adelaide) was sooo beautiful. It has a big National Park with tons of animals. You can do plenty there.<BR><BR>Ayers Rock/Kings Canyon we did hiking, but may be really hot in December.<BR><BR>Palm Cove(cairns)...the Great Barrier Reef. I've been diving a couple places but this blows them all away. I suggest an Intro-Dive if you aren't certified. It's really easy!<BR><BR>If you have any questions...ask!<BR><BR>Have fun,<BR><BR>Christina