Search

Get to Adelaide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Lorena

Get to Adelaide

Does anyone have an idea which are the best ways to reach Adelaide (train, bus or plane) from Melbourne or Sydney.<BR>Thanks a lot for responding!<BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Debbie

Hi Lorena,<BR>I flew there from Sydney and it wasn't that expensive. Check out qantas.com and virginblue.com.au Some of the other posters could tell you how long a drive it would be from Sydney. I met a family who drove from Melbourne to Adelaide and THINK they said it was something like a 9-10hr drive.<BR><BR>Debbie<BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:59 PM
marg

Flying is the easiest and probably the cheapest if you are travelling alone. The drive from Melbourne to Adelaide is about 9 hours.<BR>Another alternative is to take the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Adelaide. The route is through western NSW so will give you some glimpses of the outback. I believe it leaves Sydney late in the afternoon and arrives in Adelaide the following morning.<BR>There is also a train from Melbourne to Adelaide.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Alan

Hi, Lorena!<BR>There are also (in addition to the ways already mentioned) long-distance coaches connecting all these cities. Probably the best way is to take it in two stages: Sydney to Melbourne (by day or overnight), and then Melbourne to Adelaide (overnight) with a night in a comfortable bed in Melbourne to break the semi-comfortable bus sleeps. These coaches -- run by McCafferty's and Firefly (and there may be others) are quite cheap, and reliable... it's not a bad way to see the country and meet the local people.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 04:28 PM
Christina

We just got back from OZ & flew Virgin Blue from Sydney to Adelaide. It was inexpensive. <BR><BR>From talking to other travelers, the train is really nice, but is bumpy & expensive. If it leaves at night, you really won't see much. <BR><BR>I was told the drive was beautiful.<BR><BR>It just depends on your time contraints and what you are looking for.