GBR and Sydney advice

Mar 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

GBR and Sydney advice

A friend and I (two ladies in their 50/60's)are traveling to Oz in late April, early May. Our trip starts in Melbourne where we are staying with friends for five days.
We are flying to Sydney for three days and need a good, clean, inexpensive hotel. We are thinking about staying in the Darling Harbor area. Any suggestions?
I thought of climbing the harbor bridge, but will I kick myself if I just walk across it instead? My friend is terrified of heights.
Is the Opera House featuring any shows from May5-8, we would love to catch a show there.
After the 3 days in Syd, we are flying to Cairns and planning to stay in Palm Cove.
Any suggestions on hotels there? We want to stay right on the beach. I heard that the Azure Waters is new and fairly good. Any word on this hotel?
We have booked an overnighter on the Reef Encounter and I just wondered if anyone had any comments on this trip. It looked good and I read that someone on this messageboard tried it and liked it. I must say the gentleman that emailed me my confirmation was very nice, Lyndell Ross I think his name is.
Any comments are welcome.
Suzie
Mar 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Ladies, Greetings !
There is an endless resource for Sydney Hotels just search at the top of the page and you will see loads of stuff.

Your choice of Palm Cove is excellent, its probably my most favourite place in the world to relax.

Have a look at this website, it has pretty much all the hotels and restsurants, which will help you choose.

Our apartments were the Oasis which were great value and gorgeous, but they were set back a little from the front, about 5 min walk so you will be looking for something within seconds from the beach.

www.palmcove.net

Good Luck

Muck
Mar 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Run a search on this forum (see box above) and you'll find plenty of recommendations. Go to www.sydneyoperahouse.com.au and select Box Office to see what's on. Sorry, Haven't done the bridge climb, but if your friend is literally terrified of heights it may not be a good idea. You'll have a very full 3 days in Sydney without it.
Mar 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Muck and Neil. Can't wait to see the beautiful and of Oz.
I'll settle for a leisurely walk across the bridge. LOL.
Thanks again.
Suzie
Mar 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM

If your friend is terrified of heights the Bridge Climb is just about the worst torture you could devise for her, possibly exceeded only by bungee-jumping.

Walking over the bridge is a great way to see it up close. You can cross and take the train back -- there's a station right at the far side. I also strongly recommend, as part of your MANDATORY stroll around The Rocks, crossing back underneath it. The wharves area of The Rocks, on the far side of the bridge from what most people limit themselves to, is a lovely walk. Search these forums for Alan's excellent post on the subject, or just cross under at Argyle Street.

When you're walking around The Rocks, I recommend the Susannah Place Museum on Gloucester Street, for a real slice of 19th- and 20th-century life in Sydney. I think it's the best thing we saw there, every bit as interesting as the Botanical Gardens or the Opera House.
Mar 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Suzie Hi,
The bridge isn't nearly as frightening as you may think, its totaly safe and controlled.
It is a great view from the top and it would be a real shame if you were to miss out on a fabulous experience.
I say do the bridge climb !!....that is both of you !!
Muck
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Hi - I've never done the bridge climb (and I have plenty of opportunity) mainly because I can think of better things to spend the money on!! You can climh to the top of the SE bridge pylon for a fraction of the cost and the view is stunning from there - how much more stunning it is from the top of the arch I don't know. Maybe it's worth the cost and the time, but if I didn't like heights I wouldn't feel diminished by not putting myself through it.

Also, inside the SE pylon is an exhibition about the building of the bridge which I really enjoyed.

Taking a wander through the Argyle Cut (as already mentioned) and into the Upper Rocks area is also a fine thing to do. And Susannah Place is worth dropping into. It's wonderful that it has survived but I suspect whether it makes a big impression will depend on where you come from. If you are over 50 and from the North of England then it will likely jog deep childhood memories.

As for an evening at the SOH. I do hope there is something that appeals. For me it remains one of Sydney's great attractions. The thrill of approaching that building at dusk, and leaving at night, and interval drinks on the balcony, never, ever diminishes.

I know for sure that the Australian Ballet's season of Giselle opens on 3 May. But, as you know, there are many spaces and there will be many different offerings.

Have a great holiday.
Mar 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I am keeping track of all the good ideas and taking them with me.
Just so you know, we are two very peppy ladies from the US who are ready to have a good time.
Cheers!
Suzie