Help with Hotel Choice in Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to New Zealand next month, and will spend the first five days in Sydney. We had a very hard time getting a hotel, because of the World Cup. These are the two we now have secured.

Stellar Suites
4 Wentworth Ave.

North Sydney Harbourview Hotel
17 Blue St.

Which would be our better choice. We are going to a play at the Opera house, planning on doing the Bridge Climb, ride ferry to Manly Beach, etc.

We like to walk, but my husband is not into distances. Want it to be in an area you can walk out of hotel and be able to walk to areas if possible.

The Lord Nelson is booked by a tour.

Help from anyone would be appreciated. I have to cancel one of these reservations.

Thanks,
Kathy
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM

There are so many Sydney hotels discussed on this forum try a search.

We have booked the Waldorf apartments on Liverpool st for December. It appears to be little known and quite reasonably priced.
Give it a try.
or wait for Alan to come along if he can't help...then no one can.
http://www.waldorf-apartments-hotel-sydney.com.au/
Good luck
Muck
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:48 PM

North Sydney is across the Harbour from the rest of the city. To get anywhere, you'd have to get the train into the city, or walk across the Harbour Bridge.

Wentworth Street is away from the things you'd want to see, but at least is in the city proper, but not a great area.

Alan usually recommends trying North Sydney, if you can't get a hotel in the city, and the World Cup is taking up the hotel rooms.

I think I'd go with the North Sydney - there's plenty of trains to the city, or you can walk down to the ferry.

Have fun!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Janese

The North Sydney Harbourview Hotel is so often overlooked because people want to stay very close to Circular Quay. However the train and bus is only across the road and take only minutes to get to Circular Quay and what you get for the "inconvenience" if you can call it that, of not being exactly in the CBD, is a fantastic view of the harbour and surrounds. The same type of view across the harbour would cost three times the cost of this particular hotel and you are actually more convenient and closer than many other hotels say in and around Darling Harbour and even the Lord Nelson would be neally as far and not as convenient either as the one in N. Sydney. You are able to get the ferry from close to where you will be too but if you get a combination day ticket you can ride them all for the same price and the location will make up for any other little inconvenience.
I have always suggested that people book that particular hotel for New Years as it is a fantastic location for the view of fireworks etc.
BUT make sure that you can get a room with a view as that will make or break your stay there.

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Hi, ksteuer!
If you're not much for walking, then, really, neither of these two hotels is going to make you jump for joy; Wentworth Avenue is a run-down part of town on the opposite end of the CBD from the harbour, and North Sydney is over the bridge. Either way, you will be looking at public transport or a taxi to go to the best places, so, in that case, I would take the nicest of the two hotels (assuming there's not a great deal of price difference): that would be, for area only, the Harbourview, especially if you actually do get a harbour view! Actually, the walk to Sydney across the Bridge is so pleasant that you might decide that you ARE into walking after all (a feeling you wouldn't get in the streets around Wentworth Avenue).
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Ksteur, check out the Harbour Rocks at the Rocks. Great boutique hotel, great location. We loved it.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 07:49 PM

I don't know how recently you checked for hotel availability or if it is the peak period of the World Cup you are coming - ie. Nov 15 - 22 - if not then quite a few rooms are showing up now on Hotel sites. So it might be worth a further check. Unfortunately the period Nov 15 - 22 is hopeless and any rooms that are available are way overpriced.