Search

Sydney Walking Tour

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Walking Tour

I have one day on my own while my husband is tending to business. Can someone recommend a terrific walking tour, guide, etc.?<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:10 AM

I have heard people mention on this board the walk from Spit to Manly ( beach ) is a good one and then you can take a ferry back to the Rocks/Harbor area. I can't say I know anything else about it ( how long, what to see )I just know that its something I might do since I have heard so much about it!<BR><BR>Dawn
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM

Hi jandb and DawnF!<BR>DawnF, your post was music to my ears... I will die a happy man if I know that I have had some small part in publicising on Fodor's this most magnificent of Sydney walks. I do it twice a year, and, in fact, this summer I did it twice in the same week. Here is a cut-and-paste of an old post I made which gives instructions on what to see and how to find it:<BR>There is a one-day walk which not only takes in rock art and an aboriginal midden, but goes past some of Sydney's best views and some great beaches, too, and is always within sight of water! What's more, there are no admission fees, and the only cost for the day is public transport, totalling around $AUD 8. Further, it seems hardly any Sydneysiders know about this walk, so you will stroll for miles and see only a handful of people. <BR>In Sydney, go to Wynyard Railway Station and find the bus stands in Carrington St. From Stand C take regular bus 180 (about half-hourly, but go before 9 a.m., as this is a full day's walk.) Ask the driver to let you off at the Sydney side of the Spit Bridge. Across the street from the bus stop is a group of shops... anyone there will direct you to cross the bridge and walk down the track to the foreshores on your right. This is the entrance to one of Sydney's best walks. Take drinks, as there are few shops until you get to Manly Beach. It's all signposted, but the rock carvings are a few metres off the path about midway into the walk... right around the time when you'll think it's a good idea to stop for a rest and gaze at the view of the harbour (the aboriginal people knew enough to do their art work where the view, and the sea breeze, is at its very best). <BR>Once you get to Manly, after about four hours of easy walking (a few steps, but our daughters have been doing this walk since they were four years old), you have a choice of transport back to Sydney: a long bus ride, or the terrific Manly Ferry trip (about half-hour, regular departures all day), or the more-expensive hydrofoil which takes only a few minutes (but is not nearly as scenic as the ferry, as you're confined to indoors). Manly is a real tourist trap, but there are some great salt-water swimming pools around the area (you will pass several), so you may want to have an afternoon swim. There's even a nude beach slightly off the track three quarters of the way through the walk (there will be a sign to warn you). <BR>Bet this turns out to be one of the best days you spend in Sydney! <BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:21 AM

While I agree that the Spit to Manly walk is great - here are a couple of other suggestions:<BR>some historical places around Sydney<BR><BR>http://www.sydney.citysearch.com.au/profile/20705306<BR><BR>http://www.rockswalkingtours.com.au/about.html<BR><BR>Link to National Parks and Wildlife Service tours:<BR>http://www.npws.nsw.gov.au/news/discovery/metro_harbour.html<BR><BR>I was looking for a link to Maureen Fry's guided walking tours, which are always well reported. I coudn't find a link - but here is the Sydney phone number: Sydney Guided Tours (9660 7157; fax 9660 0805) area code for Sydney, from overseas, is +612<BR><BR>Have fun in Sydney - an ideal place for walking!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Hi Alan, About how many kilometres is the Spit to Manly walk and how many hours does it take?
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Hi, Helenp!<BR>About four hours, including a stop for a packed lunch at the site of the rock carvings (best place to stop, best views.... it's between 8 and 11 km, depending on whether you go by the most direct route or take the detours which hug the foreshores (highly recommended).
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Thanks! It sounds great!