4 days in Sydney. What should we do?

Jan 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

4 days in Sydney. What should we do?

Hi, My husband and I will be in Sydney for 4 days at the end of March. We have rented a car and are wondering what should we not miss. We enjoy driving, beaches and sightseeing. Any suggestions? Thanks
Jan 29th, 2006, 11:57 PM

First thing - if you are only going to see Sydney then a car is more a handicap than a help! Unless, of course, you're staying far out of town, and even then..........

Beaches and all the main sights are easily accessible by public transport - and driving in Sydney is far from enjoyable - except between about 2am and 4am! I've tried it at all hours!

I'd buy a 1-day public transport pass, ($15) and do the harbour by ferries, rather than the tourist cruises which apparently concentrate greatly on real estate.

One day walking around the Rocks, Gardens and Opera House - do a tour of the Opera House, and/or attend a performance.

One day - Get bus to the Spit, walk to Manly, have lunch at Manly and walk along the beach, get ferry back to town.

Other days - depends on your interests - museums, galleries, shopping, restaurants, ambling about (always my favourite). Bondi coastal walk - and there are several others.

Tell us your interests and we may make specific suggestions. Look out for posts from Alan, out Sydney guru.
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Go to the zoo, Manly beach, ride the ferries, climb the bridge, go to the opera house tour. Walk through the gardens from the opera house. We also went to the Sydney Fish market for lunch. It was very different. Wish I were going again.
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:09 AM

If you want to get out of Sydney there are plenty of day trips. The Blue Mountains, if you like arts/crafts historic Berrima is about 2 hrs south west of Sydney, beautiful beaches up and down the coast. I wouldn't put Manly on my to-do list, it's gone downhill in recent years and there really isn't much there. There's more other beautiful beaches to visit in Sydney. Can you give us more interests.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM

I would do the coastal walk from Coggee to Bondi (and back), and soak in the beach culture.
Then spend another day walking through the Botanical Garden to the Opera House all the way to the Rocks. The same day, catch a ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. The real attraction is you get to see Sydney from the harbour, rather than seeing the harbour from land. If you had enough of beach from the Coggee to Bondi walk, catch the ferry from the Quay to the Zoo instead.
Then I would spend a third day walking through the city - Pitt Street Mall for wall to wall shopping and Queen Victoria Building, etc..Perhaps combine that day with a bridge climb.
Then on a fourth day - a trip to the Blue Mountains. I am a keen canyoner; I tend to think the best way to appreciate the Blue Mountains is to go canyoning in a group with a qualified guide - there are a number of operators if you google. If canyoning is not your cup of tea - then the normal sights at Echo Point and a bush walk on a route called 'Valley of the Waters'. Again if trekking for 4 hours is not what you wish to do, continue from Leura, Katoomba to Jenolan Caves for interesting caves. But do set off early to cover all those.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM

Had second thought about the 'back' bit about the Bondi to Coggee walk. A return trip over the route might be too much for a visitor wishing to see as much as possible. Perhaps combine that day with a performance later in the day at the Capitol or the Opera House, or even do the bridge climb that day - the best time for the climb is around dusk.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info