Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Silly Questions. What side is the stering wheel on a car in Australia? trying to figure out if you drive like Britian or North America.

Silly Questions. What side is the stering wheel on a car in Australia? trying to figure out if you drive like Britian or North America.

Jan 30th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Help trying to figure out if you drive like Britian or North America. Wondering about New Zeland as well. Thanks
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:38 PM

In both NZ and Australia, it's left hand side of the road driving, like Britain.
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM

And the control stalks for lights, wipers etc. are reversed, except on some European cars. The good news is that the pedals are where you'd expect to find them - accelerator right, brake left; on manuals, clutch further left.
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

ugh. Thanks. I better make sure my husband is the only driver.
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM

jas67, check some previous threads (and one current one) on driving on the left, via the search box above.

Hundreds of thousands of LH drivers (at least) have made the switch when visiting North America, Europe and other RH-drive countries and many, many North Americans have done the same in reverse. I can understand why initially it might spook people - my wife and I approached the reverse situation with a little trepidation, although not much, but had very few adjustment problems, possibly because we saw it as a challenge rather than a threat. Ask yourself, if all these people can manage it, why shouldn't I? Not sure if you're North American or European, but if the former - come on, where's that good old pioneering spirit, eh? Up and at 'em, tiger.
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:11 AM

The steering wheel is on the right side of the car.
Jan 31st, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hey actually I am from Canada. Hubby is from Scotland. He left before driving age. I will try driving once we are out of the city.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM

Yes, what you asked was which side is the steering wheel on..it is on the right hand side.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:22 PM

In Sydney as a tourist, a car is a bit of a handicap. Pretty much everything you'd want to see is easily accessible by public transport. Things are fairly clear. On the roads, not so clear!

You almost speak the lingo - but why put extra pressure on yourself!

Mind you - you may be driving outside Sydney - Melbourne was a nightmare last week!
Feb 1st, 2006, 12:59 AM

While at home, why not have a few practice drives on the other side before you come over
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:31 AM

We're fresh back from Australia and had the fun experience of driving on the "wrong" side of the road and car. My poor bf had to endure my relentless laughter and giggles every time he turned on the windshield wipers when he meant to turn on the TURN SIGNAL. Lucky for me he is easily humored too.
Feb 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hey Margo Oz, I can't believe you were allowed on the roads in Melbourne.......did the cops know??

;-)

Muck