Tour Suggestions for Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We will be in Sydney for the first time for a week.
We are doing a tour with Sydney Greeters Our 2nd day in Sydney. The greeter has asked what we might like to see. Any suggestions of areas to tour or special things we might want to go? We like architecture, interesting neighborhoods, culture and good food and are open to seeing just about anything. I'm sure the greeter will have ideas but has asked if there is anything in particular we'd like. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A typical guided walking tour of Sydney would include a visit to the Rocks, which is the city's oldest neighborhood. The area has become very touristy these days, but it may be worthwhile with a guide as he or she would be able to point out the history behind some of the historic buildings.

Paddington may be a good place to wander, especially on a Saturday when the market is running.

Chippendale seems to be the "it" neighborhood to be in Sydney these days, but I have not ventured there yet.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 04:55 PM

The Rocks is just around the corner from Circular Quay which is just around the corner from the Sydney Opera House - these three locations form the three sides of Sydney Cove, a part of Sydney Harbour.

All ferries start and end at Circular Quay (it is also a bus and train hub), and I recommend taking a few ferry rides just for the heck of it, they may become your most lasting memories! (Take the traditional open ones, not the enclosed ones, you want the breeze in your face!)

If you read the hefty but incredibly worthwhile book The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes (most libraries have it), you will be on familiar ground in historic places like The Rocks, and if your guide is any good, you'll make the most of his or her commentary.

Just up from the Rocks is a lookout from the only bridge pylon that's accessible to the public - see www.pylonlookout.com.au

Make sure to take the time to do that - it's an easy walk up, a few stairs to the traffic-level of the bridge, then more stairs to the top of the pylon.

(This is not the same as the expensive and very involved Harbour Bridge Climb that goes over the top - you may or may not want to do that separately).

This youtube video show the walk up to and 360 degree views from the pylon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnrLVZ_Xmhw

Less than one minute into it the guy is on top and shows the views. He rambles on - in German - about the construction of the bridge, you can leave the sound off and just watch the imagery.

Another great walk starts behind the Opera House. First go to Mrs Macquarie's Chair, then walk south through the Botanic Gardens, zigging and zagging, and come out by the art museum called Art Gallery of New South Wales.

From there I recommend that you walk southwest along Art Gallery Road to the northern end of Hyde Park and around to Elizabeth Street past St. James station (it's underground) and a bit going south along Elizabeth, turn right into Market Street, and across from George Street (after you cross Castleragh and Pitt) is the lovingly restored Queen Victoria Building, commonly known as QVB, where there are some fine coffee shops and tea rooms waiting to refresh you in style, on more than one level. Nice photo ops, too.

Another good walk starts at the iconic Bondi Beach (you get there by train to Bondi Junction and then by bus). You walk from the southern end to Tamarama Beach and on to Bronte Beach. If you're game you can keep going, to Clovelly and Coogee.

There are buses leaving from all those to take you back to the city (which is known as the CBD, Central Business District, roughly from Central Railway station to the South to Circular Quay).

Enjoy!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 06:30 PM

yes travel - how do you access the greeters?
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Northie, Went thru their website and now have email of the woman taking us around. I just googled Sydney Greeters.

Tp- thanks, very helpful.

Michel- fabulous information. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There are so many good walks in & around Sydney, that you could so one a day for th n st 20 years & not exhaust the supply.

Have a look here http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/e...g/sydney-walks

And then Google Sydney Harbour walks

There are Aboriginsl guided walks at th Royal Botanic Garden & Barrangaroo that I think you would enjoy. Google them, I think you may have to book.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM

My suggestion is not a walk but a wander through the Queen Victoria building. Left empty and derelict for many years, it has been refurbished and is quite spectacular. Some very nice shops and cafes.
The Chinese garden near Darling Harbour is another suggestion.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 03:15 PM

I second Marg's suggestion of the Chinese Gardens. It feels like an oasis even though it sits in the middle of the city surrounded by skyscrapers. Other things you may like:

- The Aboriginal exhibit at the Australian Museum just off Hyde Park
- Hyde Park Barracks Museum
- Ferry to neighborhoods around the harbor such as Balmain and Woolrich for a look at the architecture (I do love the homes with the wrought iron balconies); Rose Bay, Vaucluse, and Cremorne Point are good places to wander as well
- Check out what is playing at the Opera House while you are there
- Ferry to Watsons Bay for fish and chips on the water at Doyle's
- Golden Century for Cantonese-style seafood (I know you are going to HK, but the seafood in Sydney is better IMO)

And if you are renting a car and driving to the Blue Mountains you may want to check out Featherdale Wildlife Park with all the animals native to Australia. It's worth a good 2-3 hours.

Whatever you wind up doing you will easily fill up the week you have and leave wanting to come back for more. I know I always do.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 07:13 PM

Ferry to Manly, last stop is on the harbour side, walk along the pedestrianized Corso to the open-ocean side, just before the end on the right there is a hole-in-the-wall seafood place for take-out ("to go"). Yummy.