Sydney - Kings Cross vs. Potts Point vs. the Rock

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide among several accomodations in Sydney for a 5-night stay. We have seen from previous postings on this board that the Kings Cross area is not the safest (maybe a little seedy?) We are considering Victoria Courts (described some places as Kings Cross, others as Potts Point), the Simpsons at Potts Point, and the Lord Nelson and the Sydney Harbour B&B which are both in the Rocks. We leaning toward the Victoria Courts facility, but are concerned if the neighborhood will be comfortable for middle aged tourists. We will not have vehicles, so will need access to public transportation. Anybody have info to help us decide among them?

Karen
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Hi, kstrueh!
This will be an easy decision. For a start, "Potts Point" and "Kings Cross" are virtually interchangeable -- different ends of the same street, and who would know where one began and the other ended? Many businesses advertise themselves as Potts Point or Rushcutter's Bay because they are trying to avoid being tainted by the seedy reputation of the Cross, which, may I say here and now, is richly deserved. It appeals to backpackers and people who want to stay out all night (nothing ever closes), but it doesn't sound like your kind of place at all (though you may enjoy a walk around there one evening). The main point, however, is that Kings Cross and Potts Point are out of the city area.... you would need to catch a bus or train (from Kings Cross Station, not the nicest place to be late at night!)every time you wanted to see anything worthwhile.
On the other hand, the Lord Nelson and Sydney Harbour B&B are right near where the best of Sydney is. The B&B is a great old heritage building (actually a house, originally)right next to the ANA Grand -- a little too close to the Harbour Bridge approaches and tollgates to be quiet and peaceful, but a five minute walk will have you at the water's edge with the Opera House and all of Sydney spread out in front of you. The Lord Nelson is an even older building, like something out of the London of Oscar Wilde, and I think it has one of the best locations in Sydney, although it's so quiet at night you may think it's a little sombre. It's in a part of Sydney (at the back of the historic "Rocks" ) that hasn't been tarted up too much, and there are a lot of houses around. This is really being in Sydney -- whereas the Kings Cross area is exactly the same as the drug-problem area of any big city -- the kind of place where you are likely to see the murky underside of urban living, and where you have to watch where you step. So, my rank order is: (1) Lord Nelson Brewery; (2) Sydney Harbour B&B; (3-98)Anywhere else you have or have not considered; (99) Victoria Court; (100) The Simpsons. Have a great holiday!
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I am not going to talk to you ever again Alan!
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:54 PM

I stayed in Kings Cross for almost a week and couldn't wait to get out. The train station is a pretty dangerous place especially at night. I was in Sydney for 3 months and although I'm not familiar with the accomodation you mention I will say that The Rocks is a lovely area. I stayed in a guesthouse called Glenferrie Lodge in Kirribilli. (Directly accross from the opera house) A beautiful residential area and very accessible. The nearest train station is Milsons Point (about a ten minute walk from the guesthouse) Check it out on the net. Worth a look. Enjoy your trip to Sydney, it's a fantastic city!
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:38 PM

I totally concur with Alan. I would not stay in the Cross for love or money. There are a lot of very unpleasant people around and I don't think it's even worth going for a "look" anymore, which is a real shame for the restaurants and businesses around there.

It's strange, Potts Point is really lovely, with grand old apartments and tree lined streets, but it is too close to the Cross for comfort and you would have to use Kings Cross Station to get anywhere so would not be able to avoid it.

The Rocks is lovely and you won't be disappointed.

The last post before mine said that they stayed at Kirribilli, this is on the North Side of the Harbour Bridge (the other side of the water from the Opera House, the Rocks and the City of Sydney), so you may prefer to stay on the South Side where most of the action is and you can walk almost everywhere.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM

Another vote for the Rocks. I used to live in Potts Point, and public trans. to the city is either Kings Cross train station, or a bus (which goes the other way towards Wooloomooloo). I have spent several afternoons at the Lord Nelson, which aside from the rooms, is a great pub w/ decent food. One minor warning or plus (depending on how you look at it)...there is a hill coming back up from the Lord Nelson. Hardly Everest, but it will get your heart rate up slightly. Have a wonderful time.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:07 AM

just a question for all of you people who seem to know alot about sydney. We will be leaving in two weeks and staying in the grace hotel. I hope you are not going to tell me that it too is in a bad part of the city. Let me know as soon as possible. Thanks. Bruce
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Bruce

The Grace Hotel is quite well located. It's in the centre of the city, quite near Town Hall Station, and easy walking to all shopping.

It's a 10-15 minute walk to Circular Quay and the ferries, (and the Rocks)and about 10 minutes to Darling Harbour.

I don't imagine it has much of a view (not sure about this) - but the location is good and certainly safe.

Have a fantastic time in Sydney
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:12 PM

The Grace Hotel is one of the smaller hotels in Sydney - art deco style, but the location to Central Sydney (ie. the shops) is very good. It is located just two streets back from the main shopping street of Sydney (Pitt St) and one street back from George St, which is the street that runs from one end of Sydney (ie. Haymarket) to the other (the Rocks). About a 10 minute walk to either Circular Quay/the Rocks or Darling Harbour/Cockle Bay - so good restaurants and night life. It is, by no means in a bad part of the city, though probably a bit quieter in this part of town after the shops close and the business day is over. This hotel is quite close as said to Town Hall Station and also Wynyard Station. I doubt though that it will offer you a view.