Arrived in Sydney!!!!

Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
LN
Original Poster

Arrived in Sydney!!!!

Hi folks

Just wanted to let you know that we've arrived in Sydney and are staying close to Circular Quay. Took the train out to Bondi Beach today and walked the cliffs path - what a spectacular sight it is!!

Also Alan, wanted to say thank you again - passed Kings Cross and boy, were you right!! No I would NOT want to stay there and would also recommend that to anyone else who writes in. I heard today that Cabramatta (sp??) is not too great either but I haven't seen it. Had some great food - love those meat pies and just visited David Jones food area for the first time yesterday - Wow!!

Heading back to the CBD shortly but found internet access here at Bondi and took advantage of it.
LN
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:14 PM

Isn't it great? I just returned from Sydney. Have a safe and fun trip.
Sep 4th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Hi LN,
Glad you made it safely, have fun and don't forget to keep us informed of how your doing.
A running commentary would be great but I am sure you can find better things to do than sit in internet cafes.
enjoy !!

Muck
Sep 5th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Hi, LN!

Glad to know that you've arrived safely... now if only the weather stays just as it is right at this moment....

Cabramatta (your spelling is spot-on) has a probably-deserved reputation for drug-dealing and Asian crime gangs, but it's really nothing like King's Cross, and, actually, I enjoy walking around the Asian shops and -- dare I say this in public at my age -- gazing admiringly at the beautiful Vietnamese girls (it helps me to realise that there is, indeed, a God, as surely no mortal hand could create anything that exquisite). Apart from one approach (not, unfortunately, by a Vietnamese girl!) at the railway station entrance by a drug-pusher, I have never had an unpleasant experience there. The only thing I could see mitigating against a day-trip for you there is that it's quite a hike from Sydney -- about forty-five minutes on the train, and when you get there you will have seen everything in ninety minutes. So, probably the visit isn't really worth it -- but don't listen to the people who dismiss it as a den of sin; the locals take a real pride in lifting its reputation, and it has become the "real" Chinatown of the Sydney area.
Sep 6th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Agree with Alan - I've never found Cabramatta to be hostile territory, for that matter never even been approached by a dealer. Sydney is several cities and many of its residents, including most media opinion makers, never venture further west than a Newtown cafe or further south than the airport. Of course that doesn't stop them pontificating about what goes on in the western suburbs, Cabramatta included.
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:45 AM
LN
Original Poster

We've been having a wonderful time here in Sydney!!

Today we went to the Symphony at the Opera House and it was great. Afterward we walked through the domain and then headed back to catch a train to our apartment. We have another week here and then on to Canberra.
Sep 11th, 2004, 06:29 AM

LN, it hasn't been the easiest week here on Fodors (or on Frommers, which I visit infrequently but felt obliged to spit the dummy on tonight), but I'd like to say here and now, for all the world to hear, that it's people like you who make the whole thing worthwhile. I just hope Sydney puts on its very best face for you all the time you are here. And that you come back soon!
Sep 11th, 2004, 02:54 PM

I second what Alan says. I thought that LN was going to visit me when she came but I think I have scared her off:0)
Sep 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Hi LN! Glad you are having a great time. Hope you got your planning done for Brisbane as well, and sorry I could not ask my friends in time before they continued on my trip here for more advice!

Sep 12th, 2004, 10:05 PM
LN
Original Poster

Watched the marathon yesterday - went to the australian Heritage B&B today for lunch - great pizzas and beer place looked fine - really nice people.

You're not going to believe this but we did the Bridge climb and walk!! I'm tired now but hubby said it was well worth it. I'll tell you in a day or two.

Yes, we're still heading to Canberra and Brisbane. Will get back to you all - losing my money now on pc time
Sep 13th, 2004, 08:44 AM

LN,
I did the bridge climb about two weeks ago, while in Sydney, and LOVED it. Yes, it was tiring, but oh my gosh, the views were spectacular!

Also visited Cairns and Uluru on my trip. We were on the Kuranda train on the day it couldn't make it up the mtn and had to back down!!! YIKES!!! What an adventure!! But the tour co let us reschedule for two days later and everything was just fine! Loved the skyrail ride back down.

I also visited Cook Islands (Raro and Aitutaki) and I think they are now my favorite S Pacific island chain. Also went to Tahiti and Bora Bora.

If anyone has questions, I'll try to give answers.

Carol