Search

Melbourne or Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne or Sydney

Hi Guys,
I am planning a trip to Australia. I am trying to decide between going to Sydney and area or Melbourne / Victoria region. I am backpacking. Any advice? Thoughts? And i guess while I am here, my mother had been thinking about Australia too. Seperate trip. What's good for newly retired boomers with cash to spare? Melobourne or Sydney?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:38 AM

1/ Sydney
2/ Sydney
3/ Sydney
4/ Sydney
" "
" "
etc
98 Sydney
99 Melbourne
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I think Sydney is the best place for a backpacker. I would recommend going to both cities/areas as they are both very different but if I had to choose.... Sydney. For me (and yes, i am biased) Sydney is quintessentially Australian, with it's beaches, nightlife, restaurants and historical areas. I love Melbourne but it has more of a (very nice) European vibe. I would recommend Sydney for your parents too. it's a very vibrant city with wonderful beachside suburbs, harbour cruises, fantastic food. A side trip to the blue mountains for a night or two is great.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:33 PM

Liz:

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:14 AM

Backpackers usually move around. Do you mean you are visiting for a very short time and budget indicates staying in hostels? How short a time?

I am a Sydney addict - if you are coming for a week then no contest. But have to say that there are more options from Melbourne if you coming for two weeks, let's say. You could spend some days in the city and then go to Tassie. Or take a b/p bus along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide and return by air (book cheapies a long way in advance) or take another b/p bus back via the Grampians.

Sydney when you don't have your own transport can be difficult to get out of unless you are really keen. You can go to the Blue Mtns (wonderful) easily, and if you are into serious walking, you can access the Royal NP by train. You could easily spend 2 weeks in the city. I guess we need to know more about you and what your interests are.

Ditto, your Mum.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 11:40 AM

waddayamean Margo???????????????
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't respond to the backpacking bit, but just having returned from Melbourne, I much preferred Sydney. Granted, I wasn't there very long, but Melbourne just didn't appeal to me the way Sydney did.