Search

Sydney - local wildlife

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney - local wildlife

Very rare to see this in Sydney, let alone on the Sydney Harbour Bridge (although an uncle of mine in the 50s rescued a tortoise, of all things, from the middle of the bridge roadway, which we then had as a pet in the 'burbs before it went walkabout), but common in the national capital Canberra -

Wallaby hops along Sydney Harbour Bridge, surprising early morning motorists - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 02:23 AM

Should read "Meanwhile, in Australia...."
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 02:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
O wallabies yet ... but the occasional Brush Turkey ... and rhe regulars Family of 4 Kookaburras come for breakfast and/ or dinner from a teaspoon oat days.
One of two Bluetongues help themselves to anything the cat hasn’t eaten every 3-4 days.
Magpies have started to take food from a spoon out the back. They are a bit skittish yet,but will settle down.
Lorrikeets love the Abutilon flowers.
A little butcherbird appears more frequently & has taught me to throw tiny meatballs for him to catch. ( Thanks Schnauzer)
Despite morons cutting down trees, possums ( ringtail & brushtail) have started to come back now that the deciduous trees are back in full leaf.
Beautiful little bronze skinks come in occasionally &cleanup anything the cat or blue tongues leave. Otherwise, move lazily out of the way when our paths cross.
Most of the spiders know how tall I am & weave their webs accordingly. I’ve had to speak to a few newbies lately. Cobweb on face is not good for either of us
Until an hour or so ago, the Cicada Choir was in full voice. I think they go to bed when it gets dark. Very considerate.

its a pity there’s no wildlife in suburban Sydney
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Hey guys,
Can you tell which beach in Sydney is the best choice for people with kids?
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

On the north side, the Harbord/Freshwater surf beach, north of Manly and protected by two headlands, used to be the 'safe' choice of many young body surfers and families and I assume it would still be. Google 'Sydney trip planner' or similar for public transport combos from your accommodation. For tourists, taking the Manly Ferry at least one way to or from Manly would be the thing; from Manly Wharf take the 139 bus (as young teens from the 'burbs we used to walk along the beach front and up and over the headland at Queenscliff).

And if the surf is not too rough Manly beach itself may be fine for kids under supervision. As always, only enter the water in the lifesaver patrolled area between the flags.

Btw at South Curl Curl beach just to the north of Freshwater via the same bus, there is a very nice ocean pool adjacent to the beach. Have to say though that we used to find the beach not the safest because of its shifting sandbars.

For younger kids especially, consider Balmoral Beach (harbour not surf); I'd think it'd be far too much to do in combo with a visit to Taronga Zoo, but others may have different views. And only swim or paddle inside the shark proof (hopefully) enclosure!

https://www.sydney.com/destinations/...balmoral-beach

Coogee or Bondi beaches on the south side.

Last edited by farrermog; Jan 27th, 2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Btw apologies to the regulars and mods - I should have asked the new poster suzannemayer to start a new thread with her beach enquiry and referenced others; hopefully the new search facility will pick up this thread - it appears it has, initially at least. Out of my depth as usual.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Suzanne, whilst your kids may we’ll be wild animals, your post has nothing to do with the topic.

Suggest you start a thread to ask your questions about Sydney.

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jan 27th, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old May 1st, 2018, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Do NOT feed the kangaroos! -

'One lady got 17 stitches': Kangaroos hopped up on carrots are attacking tourists - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)