Help....7 Days in Sydney...What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out I we going to be in Sydney for 7 days in mid April. While we usually travel with out teenage boys, they will not be coming on this trip. We are adventure loving and want to see and do as much as we can in our 7 days. Any must sees?? Restaurants? Other suggestions?
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Hi BK2ca, there is lots to do in Sydney, I always love my visits there. As there is so much to do, it might be easier if you do a search on this site for the following to get you started and ask back if you have further questions.<BR><BR>Things to do:<BR><BR>Bridge climb<BR>Blue Mountains<BR>Taronga Zoo<BR>Manly Ferry<BR>Manly walk<BR>The Rocks<BR>Opera House<BR>The Heads<BR>Lady Macquaries Seat<BR><BR>Places to eat:<BR><BR>Doyles<BR>Boathouse<BR>China Town<BR>Harry's Cafe de Wheels<BR>Tetsuyas<BR><BR>Again this is just scratching the surface, there are some really good people who know Sydney well on these boards who can help you out with specifics. I am a frequent visitor to Sydney and apart from the Bridge Climb which while great was a once only for me I do the other things almost every time I visit.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 10:39 AM

bk2ca<BR><BR>Where do you come from? Does mid-April mean around Easter? (and my birthday!)<BR><BR>This is a wonderful time to be in Sydney - just starting to get cool at night, and the days are good.<BR><BR>Bridge Climb is great. The Royal Easter Show is on at Homebush Park (the Olympic site).<BR><BR>It's a good time of the year for any bushwalking, but probably getting a bit cold for ocean swimming. There are plenty of walks around Sydney, many accessible by public transport.<BR><BR>May I suggest Edna's Table restaurant, for a special occcasion. They serve a lot of native food, cooked in interesting ways, and their degustation menu is a delight.<BR><BR>Sailing should be good too, and you can daysail from Darling Harbour, and Eastsail at Rushcutters Bay. Or there are bigger, more commercial boats doing Harbour trips. <BR><BR>Go on the ferries - and just walk around.<BR><BR>Try for a performance at the Opera House.<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 07:58 PM
lsf

We've just return from our first visit to Australia and Sydney - had the most wonderful trip. While in Sydney - we love to shop and eat (we in the restaurant business) - must try Sailor's Thai, and get reservations to the new Bondi Icebergs fabulous restaurant - book for sunset. Also Silversprings in Chinatown for dim sum breakfast - Bill's a must - buy all his cookbooks and any other Sydney cookbooks you like - Sydney style is so clean and refreashing. Take away foods in Manly pretty good. Eat your fill of sausage rolls and pies because who won't get them again when you go home. Go to the Botanical Gardens - the big bats are hanging in the trees these days - very facinating. Hope this is helpful - it is a wonderful city - enjoy your stay and avoid talking politics if you want to stay above the friction and just discover Sydney without all the disturbing current events.<BR>Hope this is helpful. L.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:58 PM

Take the sea plane from rose bay to pittwater...climb barrenjoey..have lunch at Jonahs.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Hi, bk2ca!<BR>Mid-April is absolutely the best time of year to visit Sydney, as the weather is clear, sunny, but not too hot, and the insects have all gone to ground. All the suggestions given have been great, so I can only add a couple:<BR>(1) With a $13.40 daytripper pass (obtainable from any railway station) spend a full day on the ferries... hop on the first one that comes along, get off at any of the destinations it visits, take the next one back to Circular Quay, and then jump on another. You can do four or five, easy, in a day, and you will see all the great parts of our lovely harbour.<BR>(2) Do the Spit Bridge to Manly walk.... I recommend this for ANY time of year, but you can do it at its very best... and not get too sunburned! It's the best walk in Sydney.<BR>(3) Go to the Royal Easter Show at Homebush Bay (the Olympic site). It opens, I think, on April 11 and goes through to April 22 (approx).<BR>(4) You will love Taronga Park Zoo at this time of year, even you're not &quot;into&quot; zoos and animals. The views of Sydney from many of the animal enclosures will make you think that Sydneysiders are crazy, letting the animals have all the best locations!<BR>(5) Spend two days and a night in Canberra -- only three hours drive from Sydney, and quite a lot to do!<BR>(6) Did anybody above mention the Blue Mountains? It's great in April! Take the train to Katoomba (2 hours), book a night in an old guest house, and spend two days doing some great bush walks around Katoomba Falls or Echo Point.<BR>Have a wonderful trip!