Snorkeling Better in Cook Islands or FP?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM
Athena

Snorkeling Better in Cook Islands or FP?

Hi again everyone, and also thanks again for all of your help so far!!

I now have another question...

Ken - since you threw Cook Islands into the mix, I have been looking at them and they look gorgeous as well, and since they're cheaper, this may be a better option for our honeymoon.

We are big time snorkelers, and definitely want to go to the place that has the best snorkeling.

Would you guys say the Cook Island or French Polynesia has better snorkeling?

Thanks again!!!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:55 PM
BillJ

Athena, I will have an opinion on this by the end of March. We have snorkeled in Bora Bora and Moorea, and last year we shot the pass at Rangiroa, all in FP. Visiting the Cooks, Raratonga and Aitutaki, and will be able to make some camparisons. Stay tuned!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:04 PM
LordBalfor

Snorkeling on the south shore of Raro was quite good. Snorkeling on the west side of Aitutaki was the best we've seen - but the areas we snorkeled in on Bora Bora (mostly around the Pearl Beach) are not the areas most known for snorkeling there - so I'm not sure I can make a definitive comparison. I don't think you'd be disappointed though.

Ken

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:30 PM
LordBalfor

By the way, if you haven't seen them yet you might take a look at the photo albums of "Morenobet" on Webshots. He's got some terrific photos of some wonderful places - including French Polynesia, the Cooks Islands, and the incredible Seychelles (on my dream list of places to visit). Here's the URL:

http://community.webshots.com/user/morenobet

I'm pretty happy with my own Webshots albums (especially Aitutaki), but his are much better (and more professional looking) than mine. He's my favorite Webshots poster (and there are some pretty good ones out there).

Ken

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:07 PM
Athena

hi!!

bill, thanks so much - i can't wait to hear your report!! have a great time!!

ken - thanks again for the help, and those photos are amazing!! i can't believe the water!!

athena

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Athena, I'm back. You may see my snorkeling report separately posted. Better? No, different. There were more fish more conveniently found in the lagoon at Bora Bora. You don't even have to snorkel. Just stand there with your hand out. Swim with the sharks, etc.
Rangiroa, in French Polynesia, the most exhilarating - "Shoot the Pass" for the more adventurists. If you are "big time" snorkelers, you MUST some day "Shoot the Pass" at Rangiroa.
West of Muri, and Maina at Aitutaki, very calm waters, not real convenient (like out your bungalow door). But more bigger fish, though less in total numbers. Turtles, octopus, eels, etc.
So, I have not answered your question, and it will have to remain to each to make their own conclusion.
See, Athena, you must go to both, then judge for yourself. Call it essential research.

Kia Orana, and happy snorkeling!