Plz help with Australia trip

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plz help with Australia trip

HI Everyone,
We are a family in our early 30's travelling to Australia with 2 young kids (5 and 3)in around 3 weeks. The first 15 days will be spent in the gold coast with relatives. After that we 10/11 and we would like to do both sydney and Melbourne but we cannot decide how many days to spend in each city and so we would like the help of all you experts.
In Sydney we want to go to the following: 1- Sydney wildlife world 2- Sydney tower and oztrek 3- tarong zoo 4- the reptile park 5- sydney aquarium 6- darling harbour
7- the rocks 8- Ocean world 9- luna park
10- have a meal at Doyles resturant 11- A meal at bills.
In Melbourne we want to go to 1-Phillip island and see the penguin parade, the nobbies, the koala's and the amazen things maze. 2- the royal botani garden 3- science worls museum 4 drive the great ocean road and see the 12 apostles.

How do you think I should divide my days?

I also want to do some shopping (designer bags, kid clothes, antiques) so which city wins in that department?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Hi kubla!

I hope I can help with some of the Sydney things you want to do.

Sydney Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium are both at Darling Harbour so all three things can be accomplished in 1 day.

Sydney Tower is in the city, not too far from Darling Harbour.

Taronga Zoo is a beautiful ferry ride across the harbour from the city and you will need an entire day for this.
Ferries depart from Circular Quay, which is also the site of the Opera House and the Bridge. The entrance to the Botanical Gardens in Sydney is just near the Opera House, past the Man of War steps.

The Rocks area of Sydney is just near Circular Quay and a day is required in this area if you are also going to the Observatory on Observatory hill.

You also get the Luna Park ferry from Circular Quay. You can see Luna Park across the water. Just look for the huge maniacal grin. Or you can walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge to Luna Park, and kill two icons with one stone.

Ocean World is at Manly on the other side of the harbour which also requires a lovely ferry ride. Manly has the harbour on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other with a lovely beach. Fish and chips bought on the Corso and eaten on the beach is a must.

The restaurants are very popular so I would book them as soon as you get to your hotel.

I would say you need 7 days in both Sydney and Melbourne. Although some of your days will be for travel between places.
Good shopping in both cities.

Cheers,
Margaret.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Designer bags are generally more expensive in Australia than America/Hong Kong/Europe(for some labels).
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM

You could do your Melbourne itinerary in 3 days although the GOR to the 12 Apostles is a long day especially with young children. If you are driving why not stay overnight at Apollo Bay and take the kids to the Otway Fly as well. www.otwayfly.com.au and if you did that you would need four days.
A good site is www.visitvictoria.com.au
Melbourne is the shopping capital of Australia without a doubt!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM

Might I suggest while you are in Queensland to make an effort to get to Australia Zoo (Steve Irwins place) - it is great. We do not usually like going to these, but this one is really different, and the kids can actually touch the animals.

The Sunshine Coast is easily accessible by a number of major highways which dissect the region. It is approximately 60 minutes' driving time from Brisbane via the Bruce Highway. Australia Zoo is situated on the Glasshouse Mountains Tourist Drive, Beerwah.

Hope you make it there

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM

Ocean World is owned by Sydney Aquarium. Are you sure you want to visit two aquariums with the kids?