Circular Quay lodging options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are *most* of the Circular Quay lodging options in the range of upscale hotels? Along similar lines to another recent post, we'd like to stay in the area to have easy access, but we don't necessarily need all the amenities of the bigger hotels (indoor pool, fancy restaurant) - we just want something nice and comfy to use as a base and possibly sleeping in for a day or two, but plan to do a lot of exploring of other culinary delights outside the hotel and also more time at the beach than at the pool (although I see it is not going to be especially hot when we are there!)

Do any of the places in CQ ring a bell in terms of nice accomodations but without all the bells and whistles? Perhaps a nicer B&B?

Thanks.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Best fit to your requirements might be The Russell. http://www.therussell.com.au/

A little further afield, but still in The Rocks precinct, Sydney Harbour YHA, http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sy...ydney-harbour/

Sydney Harbour B & B http://www.bedandbreakfastsydney.com/
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 02:58 PM

We plan to stay at Sydney Harbour B & B in January. Our room with shared bath and breakfast is $160 a night so it looked like a good deal, considering the location. Good reviews as well according, to my research.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

We've narrowed it down to:

Intercontinental
Quay West
Shangri-La
Russell
Sydney Harbour B&B

Any advice on which are the most/least easily accessible to the public transportation (to/from airport, beaches and suburbs)? We did read something about having to walk up steep hills (not a big deal day-to-day, just wondering about luggage). It is kind of hard to tell if they are truly all in close proximity of each other and it doesn't really matter, or if there are real differences in the locations. What about surrounding areas/safety/walking around late at night? Access to the most restaurants? Access to Bridge Climb, Opera House, Botanical Gardens? Picturesque views (is a "city view" considered a good thing if you can't get a harbor view?

Probably a bit nitpicky at this point, and I know there are lots of "where to stay" thoughts and posts, but just curious about your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - the 5th option was Marriot Sydney Harbour - not Sydney Harbour B&B, which was booked.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM

I do know the Shangri-La a little - the street it's in runs along the top of a big hill but if you caught a taxi from the airport you wouldn't have any problems (usually taxi is worth it). The bars and restaurants in the hotel have an extraordinary view of the harbour, but I think it's also a serious luxury hotel and not what you said you were looking for in your original post. I think you'd like it though .

Lavandula
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM

i thought the yha was great. 120/night inc net for a full bed plus ensuite plus wifi
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM

itspat

I think you need to narrow down what you've narrowed down.

When real estate is expensive, and it is in downtown Sydney, there is only one way to keep the price of rooms affordable even to those on business expense accounts, and that is to make the rooms the size of postage stamps; build a large hotel with lots of rooms; or some combination of the two. A traditional bed and breakfast has maybe three to six rooms. In downtown Sydney, that BandB would have to charge a gazillion dollars a night to break even. In other words, "bed and breakfast" doesn't always mean 'simple, nice enough accommodation'.

Location, followed by overall construction (quality soundproofing) and room size, are the three biggest 'bells and whistles.' So by asking for maximum location convenience, and 'nice and comfy' (which I suspect means, good soundproofed windows; thick mattresses) you are not lowering your expectations but raising them. The pool, if present, is the least of your worries as far as cost is concerned.

Only you know what will satisfy you, but I note that the Marriott CQ costs almost twice what is charged at the YHA. Either Marriott doesn't know how to price a hotel room (which means that they have stayed in business as long as they have by sheer good luck) or something is very different about the kinds of visitor each place is expecting to attract.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Be thankful you are not looking for a place in Sydney at the moment. A friend stranded there by the Qantas grounding says all the hotels are charging $250 for a standard room as that is what Qantas will pay.