Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Alan, Neil, Liz, Margo and other Sydney bound Fodorites

Oct 30th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Greetings Alan, Margo, Liz, Neil and other Fodorites

I resurected this post from a longer thread that has moved out of sight. Hoping to generate some interest in having a little get-together......

Well since the Mercantile is unvailable Harry's has been nominated as the choice for our fodors get together

After talking a bit with Alan it seems a good idea to meet at the Opera House Box Office around 5pm on Sunday the Nov 13th.

Hopefully this will fit into most everyone's schedules. Alan has already accepted the invitation!

Cheers

Steve and Andrea
Oct 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I'm just back from the land of the long and bloody persistent white, but more usually dark grey, cloud - and should be around!
Oct 31st, 2005, 01:25 AM

Please accept my apologies... I can't make it that day...But One day I will !!!!

Muck
Oct 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

looking forward to meeting you Margo!

No worries Mucky, catch you on the next holiday!

Cheers
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:29 PM

Hi, Steve and Andrea (and honoured compatriots). I've been silent so far while wrestling with the diary, trying to figure whether I can get to Sydney on the 13th - we were expecting to be in the vicinity around that time - but it looks like a no-go, which is a pity. (I don't know if this came up, but I live in Canberra, 300 km down the road). Thanks for the kind thought anyway - please have a drink for me.
- Cheers, Neil
Nov 6th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Greetings All!

We leave tomorrow morning for our 24+ hour (includes lay overs) journey down under.

We will be at the Opera House Box Office ready for meat pies and an adult beverage or 2.

We will have drinks on behalf of Mucky and Neil.

It will be a pleasure to meet some of those who have helped so many with their travel plans. We can attest to how happy we have always been with those suggestions!!!!

Well time to pack, and re-pack and re-pack until we get down under the weight limits.

Cheers

Steve and Andrea
Nov 7th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Good Luck

Cheers--- have a great trip..say hi to everyone !!

Muck
Nov 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Muck!

Missed you again! By th-a-a-a-t much!

Where can you get pies near the Opera House? Adult beverage - yes - at Concourse Bar, but pies? Maybe I missed them!
Nov 9th, 2005, 10:25 PM

Margo,
There's a little cafe along the colonade, I think it's the one closest to the Opera House, which sells pies.
You can also get them at several of the "Take away" places along the Quay.

Cafe Mozart (in the Opera House) does a nice chicken "Pie" - small dish with pastry on top.
Nov 10th, 2005, 01:13 AM

Yes Margo....I still want that drink of water you promised me !!

;-)

Muck
Nov 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Water!!??? There's a Welshman who drinks water???

As that other famous Welshman, Frank Sinatra, said in response to a similar offer: "I'm thirsty, not dirty".
Nov 11th, 2005, 01:17 AM

Oh Yes Water is my only drink ;-)
(I do Wonder why I have a hangover this morning?? did someone spike my water??)

Sinatra Welsh !! Fantastic news.
;-)
Muck
Nov 11th, 2005, 09:22 PM

I read again (well probably for the first time, [email protected]!) We're going to Harry's - and adult beverage (whatever that is?) at..... I think Harry sells Coca-Cola!
Nov 13th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Well, Margo, I hope you had better luck with this meeting than I had! Steve and Andrea, I tried, I really did.... the trains up our way were (as often happens on weekends)replaced by buses, which put all the western schedules out of whack (the fast train that I had planned to catch didn't run, so I had to take two slower ones), so I was running nearly half an hour late when I finally reached the Opera House... but I was too late, as the only people at the box office when I got there were a crowd of Asians and one other family of four whom I went straight up to, and said "Steve? Andrea?" and was greeted with blank stares!

Anyway, I waited around for the next half hour, in the hope that you'd just gone for a drink or a walk around the complex, but when, at 6:20, they closed the foyer (no performance there toonight, apparently) and herded the few remaining loiterers out onto the open steps, there was soon nobody else around there but me, and the writing was on the wall..... so at 6:30 I regretfully started to make my way home (cursing Cityrail yet again, as the trip took twice as long as usual).

Better luck next time? I hope you'll plan a fourth (or is it fifth?) trip next year!

Nov 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Alan

We must just have missed you - we loitered until after 5.30 - and ummed and ahhed as to what to do - and then decided to go for a pie and drink. Ended up at Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel, after a pie at Harry's. Very nice down there.

Next time.....
Nov 15th, 2005, 02:49 AM

That's life, I guess.... actually, it's getting quite discouraging, because that's the THIRD time I have organised to meet someone from Fodors and the meeting has never actually taken place... and on two of those occasions, it was due to Cityrail holdups!

Thankfully, there were also three successes -- the Alfords from San Diego, Mucky from that cold place near England, and the redoubtable LizF; so I guess a 50-50 success rate isn't too bad. But, boy, that felt like a LONG, lonely trip back to the Mountains on Sunday night; although, being the refined gentleman that I am, I didn't let it get me down.... I just went home and kicked the dog.