Air NZ - economy class

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:20 AM
Samantha

Air NZ - economy class

I've seen some discussion about the business class section of Air NZ in this forum, but haven't come across anything about the economy class.

How roomy are the seats? I'm not expecting much, as it is economy, but does anyone have a general idea? Also, what sort of leg room is there? Can a five foot five inch tall woman who weighs around 130 lbs get comfortable in the seats? It's a long flight (non-stop LA to Auckland), so I'm hoping that will be the case.

I've heard about some of the items that Air NZ provides for its business/first class passengers... Do they offer anything extra for their economy class as well? I'd like to think so, as it is such a long flight, but I've never flown for this long or on this airline, so I can't be sure. I'm wondering if I should bring a few snacks, extra water, a pair of socks so I can take off my shoes, etc...

So, if anyone can help, I'd be thankful. I'm just trying to get an idea of what sort of comfort level I can expect to be at so I can prepare.

Safe travels!

Samantha

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Rudy

I flew Air New Zealand economy and I would rate it along with Air India and China air. The plane should have been put out to pasture a long time ago, there was no TV sound because my controls were broken, the food was dreadful ( but that is not so much the fault of the airline but the caterers) and the staff were just OK.
If you can get on another carrier I would do it. I would not fly NZ air again.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:01 PM
Debi

We just flew Air NZ to Auckland in the past month. We flew economy class and it was fine (it is a very long flight...). The seats seemed to be a bit bigger than some of the US carriers. The attendants were very nice. The food was not that great - but maybe it's because I have a US palate. The breakfast was pretty good, but the dinner/lunch seemed to always be lamb stew (good if you like that) and some kind of fish thing. You didn't go hungry, though. They also serve wine freely (no charge) and are very available for things you want. Most people do just take their shoes off - so if you want to bring something to put on, I would do that. Water is easy to get onboard, so I wouldn't worry about that. I always, as a rule, carry breakfast bars in my carry on. I didn't use them on the ANZ flights..... I did, however, read alot. New Zealand is worth it, though - and we LOVED Auckland (great shopping!!) Have a great trip!

Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:18 PM
DBB

Air NZ flies 747s LA to Auckland, and according to their website, the seat pitch in economy on their 747s is 34 inches. This is 2 to 3 inches more than many carriers. It doesn't sound like much, but on a 12-hour flight every inch counts.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:47 PM
Samantha

Thanks for all the comments! They've been quite helpful.

Does anyone know what other airlines service New Zealand? I'm assuming Qantas does and I've heard of an airline called... Cathay? Cathway? Something along those lines. Is anyone familiar with either of those?

Thanks again!

Samantha

Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:00 PM
liz

You are thinking of Cathay Pacific Airlines - they are in Hong Kong but I don't know if they fly from the US to NZ.
I would think that Air Pacific does, Qantas, or a combination of US airlines going through Hawaii and changing there for NZ

Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Lucy_of_Oz

Just as an aside: if you do ever get the option of flying with Cathay Pacific then do! Their economy service is fantastic & made my flight to France a year & a bit ago a joy (or as much of a joy as that 24 hour journey can be!!)

Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:32 PM
deb

I travel back and forth between NY and Sydney at least 2x per year. I often do the Syd-LA route with Air New Zealand. They are the friendliest, have the best service, wonderful food and entertainment. The flight isn't bad. Realistically, you get the flight late in the evening out of the West Coast, eat a meal, then sleep! The whole trip is 12 hours.

As for other carriers, Air New Zealand is the only one that goes direct from the US to NZ. Any other carrier will require you to go through their hub, adding at least 8 hours (including stopovers) to the time. Qantas requires you to go through Sydney, Cathay through Hong Kong, etc.

Even when United was servicing the route, I would choose Air New Zealand.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:11 AM
Joan

What Deb said re: other carriers is not true! We are booked on Qantas from LA to Auckland and it is a direct flight. They do not go to Sydney first!

Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:53 AM
KT

United is still flying nonstop LAX-Auckland through the end of March.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
jd

HI there... I am doing a similar trip coming up. I actually am chosing Cathay Pacific because I have heard great things about them. We get into Hong Kong early morning and leave late night - and I am thrilled, because I will get to visit Hong Kong for the day. Who knows when I would ever have the chance to go back!

Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:38 PM
Wendy

Hi, we traveled Air Pacific between Vancouver and Auckland. The staff was very nice and the food was better than I expected. As far as the amount of room I would say it was fair to better than average. I would use them again. Wendy

Jan 24th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Debbie

Hi,
I flew AirNZ in July. As someone mentioned, the seats did seem a bit wider than on US carriers. It was fine...no inseat video screens though!

Debbie

PS If you can score an exit row, you don't want the window! No leg rest as the door juts out in front of half your seat.

Jan 24th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Missy

I have flown Air New Zealand, Qantas and Cathay across the Pacific and found Air New Zealand to be infinitely more comfortable. Not only is there more legroom, but the seats do seem wider. I liked the seat-back personal video screens on Cathay, but I sleep a lot on those long flights so I would rather have a more comfortable seating/sleeping situation than more entertainment options. Air New Zealand does not provide amenity kits in economy. They come around with water frequently, and snacks and other drinks are available in the galley throughout the flight. Service and food were okay. I found it nice to have my own big bottle of water as well as earplugs, eye shades and socks. Have a great trip!

Jan 27th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Have you looked into Air Pacific. No I don't think the seating room is any larger but the staff was very good and the meals, for airplane food, was as good as I've seen for some time. Wendy
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:10 PM

I just got back from a trip last week, and we had two totally different experiences going there from our return trip [to and from Sydney]with Air New Zealand. On the way there, we had a smaller plane, [some sort of airbus, three seats on both sides of the isle] and they were small, definitely cramped. On the return flight, the seats were better, and we lucked out with extra leg room in the first row. Also, there were meals on both flights,and yes, they do supply drinks for free on International flights, as do other airlines.