Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

MODERATELY PRICED LODGING IN QUEENSTOWN AND NEW ZEALAND

Jan 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Any recommendations? (Clean w/ nice bathrooms) Also, does anyone know the driving time across the plains from Queenstown to Christchurch?
Jan 28th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

ALSO LOOKING FOR LODGING IN TE ANAU!! Thanks!
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:03 PM

We stayed in the Village Inn in Te Anau, and like it there. It was part of a tour, so I don't know what the price actually was, but it was clean, and had a cute mid-1800's theme on the outside of the bldgs.
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:08 PM

In Te Anau we had excellent accommodation at Radford's Motel. It's brand new, extremely clean and each of the units has a lakeview. I think we paid NZ$155 per night for a self catering unit for our family of 4. The owners were very helpful in helping us book our Milford cruise (highly recommend the Mitre Peak cruise) and glow worm cave visit.

In Queenstown, we stayed at the St. Omer Lakeside Apts. which I do NOT recommend. The location was great but the apt was very run down and none of the appliances worked correctly. The Lodges is right next door and looked much better maintained. I think they are very similar in price.
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:55 PM
LN

Hi there

In queenstown we stayed at "Hurleys" and they have really nice 1 and 3 bedroom apartments. The place was spotless and the rates were under $150 NZ. Every morning we woke up looking at the Remarkables mountains. You can find them if you do a search on Google for Queenstown NZ hotels.
Jan 28th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Hi, just posted and don't know where it went. Have you looked into private rooms in hostels and backpackers. Most holiday parks offer great cabins at a very resonable rate. Queenstown is awesome and so much to do I would not want to spend all my money on a room. Wengod