Search

New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand

We will be in Sydney for 10 days and then we are going to New Zealand from 11/13 - 11/16. I need help!! I realize that we really did not allow enough time . Is it best to go to the North or South Island? We thought Christchurch, as I heard the South Island is the best. But my husband wants to go on the cruise at Milford Sound, How can we do it.? Or should we give that idea up and just take day trips out of Christchurch.? Let me know what is best. This is the first time to Australia, but it takes 19 hours back to Chicago so I want to get in as much as I can. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM

I really love NZ and spent two months there last year but 3 days really isn't emough time to do it any justice at all. Milford soun is at the other end of the SI from Christchurch - a long way to go for 3/4 hours on a boat. If you really want to visit then IMHO you should take a few day trip from Christchurch. Place that I really liked which are within adistance include, Akaroa, Kaikora and Lake Tekapo. A few photos/ descriptions can be found on our blog - Entries 39 onwards;

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...tml#ENTRY_LIST
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM

I see that this is your first post on the board. With a little more information, the folks here can help you much more.

Where do you have flight reservations for 11/13-11/16? Christchurch? If so, I think you have answered your own question. If not, perhaps we can make suggestions based on your preferences. What do you enjoy most/most want to see? The harbors/coastal areas? The mountains? Wine country? Maori culture?

I went to Milford Sound on my first trip and was underwhelmed by the cruise. It was interesting for the first hour, but I would ahve been disappointed if I had not combined it with a hike, glowworm cave at Te Anau, etc. This is just one opinion, but I would not choose that as my one destination in NZ.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM

I've been to NZ 3 times, covering both the North and South Islands. As you already know, you don't have time to do real justice to either island but you can enjoy the little time you have there. Arrange to fly to Queenstown on the South Island (which will probably mean a transfer through Christchurch). The scenery in Queenstown is gorgeous and there is lots to see and do there. In addition, from Queenstown you can arrange for a day tour for the Milford Sound cruise. As Kay2 mentioned, it would be nice to be able to stay at Te Anau and hike and visit the glowworm cave, but I don't know that you'll have time for all that with only 3 days available.
While Christchurch is a nice town with some good museums, I think your limited time in NZ would be better spent in Queenstown.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM

As much as I loved New Zealand and want to return, I wouldn't take the time to go there if I only had three days. I'd figure out something else to do in Australia.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM

"I went to Milford Sound on my first trip and was underwhelmed by the cruise" To each his/her own. I thought the cruise was awesome! The first time I went, I took a tour from Queenstown, which involved a scenic flight to Milford and and back, as well as the famous cruise. I would think this option is still available if you take longhorn's suggestion and use Queenstown as your base.

crellston's suggestions of daytrips to Akaroa, Tekapo and Kaikoura are good ones if you are willing to forego Fiordland. Another possibility would be to land in Christchurch, and do an overnight trip (driving) to the base of Mt Cook and back, staying at the small village there. It's a very beautiful place with lovely walks to enjoy. Not too far away, plus you can enjoy Lakes Tekapo and Pukaki en route. Driving the approach to Mt Cook along the shore of Lake Pukaki is magnificent, one of my most memorable experiences in NZ.

Dont know what you'll be doing in Sydney for 10 days, whether or not you'll be getting out of the city at all. If not, it's worth considering using your extra three days in Australia - maybe doing a circuit inland to the Southern Highlands and Canberra, then back to the south coast via Braidwood. Some beautiful places and beaches along the South Coast (e.g., Jervis Bay). November (spring) is a lovely time of year in that part of the world.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I second the vote for Queenstown -- with a day trip to Milford Sound. I, too, was underwhelmed by Milford Sound. It was very nice -- but not a highlight of my trip. Actually, the bus ride from Queenstown to Milford Sound was more impressive than the Sound itself.

Queenstown is gorgeous and if you love scenery be sure to include a tour of Skipper's Canyon. (We went with "Fran" of Nomad tours and it was a fantastic day of breathtaking scenery.)
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:30 AM

I wonder if people's impressions of Milford Sound depend on the time of year and the weather. Both times I went were mid-winter (July-Aug) - the days were cool, clear and crisp and the surrounding mountains, including the iconic Mitre Peak, were all covered in snow. Spectacular.

Agree that the road from to Milford (particulary the section past Te Anau) is very good. It has to be one of the most scenic drives on the planet.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Time of year, other experiences, and what you are choosing not to do in NZ with limited time when choosing Milford Sound are all part of it.

I went in January, so nice weather, just windy and cool on the water. I had a nice day out with a Te Anau small tour group--van to hiking trail for view, picnic on the river bank, stops for photos, then the Milford Sound trip. I enjoyed the first hour of the cruise, seeing the fjord, waterfalls, etc., but then it seemed rather monotonous. I enjoyed it, but I thought the view from the hike was as amazing as the cruise views. And combined with a lake trip and the glowworm caves definitely made my trip to Te Anau worthwhile and a highlight of my NZ trip along with the penguin trip from Dunedin and Te Puia in Rotorua.

I would not have been as satisfied if I had only 3 days in NZ and spent a full day on a Milford Sound road/cruise trip. Flying there from Queenstown would add flightseeing over the mountains to the day and make it more stunning.

My husband was surprised this year when we were planning our trip to Norway and I included a stay in Flam and trip on the fjord because he remembered that I was not as impressed with Milford Sound as I had expected. I enjoyed the trip on the fjord in Norway for a couple of hours of seeing the scenery. I also enjoyed hiking up above the fjord and looking down the valleys as well. It was more impressive than Milford Sound and I am glad we went. If someone told me they had only 3 days in Norway, I would suggest a trip to a fjord, but not NZ. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Kay: Sorry, but that logic suggests that one shouldnt bother seeing mountains in NZ because there are much more impressive mountains elsewhere in the world, like the Himalaya. And if that's true why bother going to NZ at all?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM

I don't want to get too far from the question of this thread to be helpful to Kordway. I'm not sure what logic you mean, Ralph. You were wondering why some of us have different impressions of the Milford Sound trip and I tried to agree with your thoughts and explain why we might come away with different levels of enthusiam for a day on the boat as with any experience. No one said not to see the NZ mountains because there are more impressive ones elsewhere. Otherwise you could use the same logic for the wineries, beaches, or any other NZ destination.

Kordway is spending 10 days in Australia, then 11/13 - 11/16 in NZ with questions--"North or South Island? Husband wants cruise at Milford Sound? Or Day trips out of Christchurch? I want to get in as much as I can."

I just gave my impression of the boat ride on Milford Sound to help with her decision. She may decide the cruise is the most important sight for her and her husband, or she may decide to see Maori culture and geothermal feature at Rotorua, the penguins at Oarmaru or near Dunedin, or the beaches and Farewell Spit--all worthwhile destinations. Just depends on her interests.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM

bumping up for Kate
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Three days in NZ? I love, love, love, NZ, but three days is a waste of money and effort IMO. It's not as close to Australia as you might think (check the flights, time difference, etc) - you'll be wasting precious time getting there, sitting in airports, picking up rental cars, checking in/out of hotels, etc...time that could be better spent in Australia, where you already ARE. Three days in NZ would be torture for me, as it'd only highlight how much I'd be missing.

Having said that, if you're hellbent on going, Christchurch and Queenstown are the best bases for day trips on the SI, but you'll be really limited. For example, Milford Sound is a four hour drive EACH WAY from Queenstown, so once you go all that way, you'll still have to get to Milford. Akaroa and Kaikoura are good day trips from Christchurch, but they each take about 90 minutes each way, so once you get to NZ, you'll still be on the move.

Good luck, you're going to need it.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM

ttt
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are going to Christchurch and take the day trips from there. I am expecting to see beautiful scenery and find a few walking tours. Also some wineries. That all sounds great.