Which lounge at Narita?

Search

Which lounge at Narita?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which lounge at Narita?

I posted on the airline forum and am also posting here for maximum exposure: We're in Japan and will be returning to SFO from Narita in business class on an ANA flight using UA FF miles. I'm wondering about the best airport lounge option--ANA, UA or Priority Pass (through Chase Reserve)? We are unfamiliar with the airport and can choose among these three options. Which is the best in terms of comfort and services? We depart from Terminal 1, I think.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 04:47 AM

Hi Betsy. Here is you can check out the info about Priority Pass - https://www.prioritypass.com/en/airport-lounges, here is about ANA -
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/as...t/guide/lounge and this link about UA - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 06:11 AM

We've done that too, flown ANA biz with UA ff miles and from that there is one lounge and its the ANA lounge.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 08:00 AM

There are three lounges you can choose from. The Priority Pass lounge is spare and not very comfortable. Actually, IME, none of the priority pass lounges are comfortable, attractive or have much to recommend them.

There is a huge United Club lounge that has nice amenities, but it is often just packed with people.

The ANA lounge is small but nice, less crowded generally. Though one time when we were there a group entered the lounge - and we exited to go to the United Lounge.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Hmmm. Kathie we have flown twice on ANA biz with ff UAL miles and once to NRT on AC biz which we purchased and all three times were directed to the ANA lounge. You mean we could have had an option for a UAL lounge but were not informed of this??
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 10:01 AM

I've been in all three, and will always choose ANA, unless I'm really short of time and my flight is leaving closer to United. The main united lounge is closer to gate 30, while the ANA lounges are at the other end of that hall, around gate 45, I think. Both of them have another, higher status lounge above or below them.

The United regular lounge is very large. The food offerings are pretty much always the same; a nut or aware mix, crackers, little dessert bites, chips, basic sushi, canned soup, mini sandwiches and maybe one or two other snack type items. Standard liquor & wine. They have internet, TV, and showers, and views of the runways.

ANA is not quite as big, but still holds a lot of people in various typed of seating areas. Like united, it has agents who can help you with flight changes, free wifi, etc. I like their food a lot better. More hot meal options, better sushi, a Ramen bar with four or five choices, salads, desserts, fruits, and lot more drink options. at certain times They've had a sushi chef or a cocktail bartender in there. They also have showers, TV, wifi, view of the runways.

Like most Priority lounges, the ones at Narita are hard to find, and as Kathy said, very spare. If this is your only choice, choose the KAL linked one. the other two are more like bus station lounges and charge for drinks, have just snack and have limited hours. The KAL one is more comfortable, but small, and IIRC you have to pay for more than your first drink.

Off topic, but does anyone else think the Priority Pass benefit with Chase is pretty worthless? Most airports either don't have them or their hours are so short as to be useless for my needs.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Hmmm... maybe it has to do with status. We are Mileage Plus Gold, so could opt for any of these lounges.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Drat. I hit submit before I proofed. Sorry for the typos.
One other thing about Priority Pass lounges that is good is that many of them rely on individually packaged snacks and drinks, so if you're in a hurry, you can just grab and go. Their checkin process is pretty slow though, as they have to look you up in their computer system, since membership isn't noted on your boarding pass
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Kathie that must be it. In any case I did not know there was a UAL lounge there.

We are new to Chase priority pass and I looked online to see what's in Sydney and it seems there they use restaurants and give u a f and b credit but doesn't seem like a true lounge. They are open to the public but you do get an allowance,
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 04:57 PM
mjs

The priority pass Lounge at Heathrow is decent and I think better than the UA Lounge. Have not found any other priority pass Lounge to use
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We're currently on the Shinkansen Nogomi hurtling from Kyoto to Tokyo. We'll head to the ANA lounge based on your input.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 01:18 AM

I sort of like the auto beer dispenser they have. Just put your glass in! .
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

...And in which lounge is that, jacketwatch? Is there an auto red wine dispenser as well?
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 06:25 AM

ANA lounge. They have wine but not sure about auto dispenser for it.

Cheers. .
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 06:50 AM

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co.../guide/lounge/

The 2nd pic has the beer dispenser. Its on the far right.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 06:58 AM

The United club also has beer dispensers at Narita.

mjs, thanks for the info on a Priority Pass lounge that is nice. I've only visited a few of them and they were all pretty grim. I especially felt that at Changi (Singapore) as I had just used the Singapore Air Biz Class Lounge a few days previous. (When I look at the Priority Pass list I don't see that one listed any more - good thing!)
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

In the ANA lounge at NRA as I type. Sad to be leaving Japan, but this is not a bad way to leave. Good sushi, rice wrapped kelp, udon with pork, several sakis to try. I did see the beer dispenser but opted for the saki as well. Thanks again for your suggestions. Sayonara.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 04:15 AM

Nice. Glad you had a good time. .
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 06:28 AM

I had a three hour layover in Dallas and spent it in the Priority Pass lounge. It is absolutely third rate. The snacks are minimal and there are three bowls of popcorn. Many of the guests helped themselves to the popcorn by sticking their hands in the bowl! I'm not sure if American Express Platinum lounges are any better, but the Chase Reserve is really not a great perk.