United MP Awards Changes

Jun 27th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

United MP Awards Changes

i call ua inquiring about the number of miles needed for a saver award for bus class from nrt to sin on star alliance sq or ana. i was told it would be 60000, however ua website under saver awards chart shows only 30000 from japan to south/north asia. the website reminds us that we can redeem mp miles for alliance partners at the same rate as redeeming for ua flts. noticing this difference, i emailed them several times, each time getting a reply from a different person saying either that there were no saver awards avail for the dates i wanted, or to call ua international res. for assistance. i did not specify a date, as i only wanted to know how many miles needed for the trip, and i called several times, getting the same answer. although i said their website said only 30000 miles for bc, they said they don't have access to their website, and can only go by what is on their screen. responses from the intl resv. agent, and their email is unsat. anybody else experience this? any suggestions on how we can get ua to honor what they say on their website? i have given up on contacting them via email, as none of them care to check into the matter. their lack of response is just another reason why ua is going the other way.
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:10 AM

If you download the Star Alliance reward chart in PDF from UA's website, you'll see that from Japan to South Asia is 60K miles in Business Class. There's also a letter "B" next to it, and footnote says that means there are lower-miles award for an all-UA itinerary.

I think that's pretty clear to me what it means:
30K miles for business class on UA's NRT-SIN flight, but 60K miles for SQ/NH/TG or whatever...

If you're disputing this statement on UA's website: "No matter which carrier or combination of carriers you choose, the Mileage Plus award levels are the same. They vary only by class of service and region", then I think you're misinterpreting it. That statement applies to the awards in the Star Alliance chart. So, a *A airline cannot charge you more than 60K miles for NRT-SIN. It doens't mean everybody has to follow UA's reduced-mileage award, as otherwise the chart would have said 30K miles from Japan to South Asia.
Jun 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM

I see how it might be confusing. The webpage is talking about two kinds of awards: United Saver Awards and Star Alliance Awards.

The United Saver Awards (key word being "United") chart page says that it is for United and United Express travel. It has a link to United destinations and says if you don't see your choice then go look at the Star Alliance awards.
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

the awards travel section on ua website needs to be less confusing, and corrected. i did go to the link for the new star alliance award chart, and indeed, rkkwan was correct. however, the main webpage of the saver award chart is different. the saver chart shows that you can travel from nrt to sin for 30,000 in bc. however, when i called to confirm this, i was told by the res agent in iad that it was 60,000 since sin is considered so asia. but, the saver chart says jp to so or no asia is only 30,000. i again called a few hours later and talked to a res agent in ord, and was told that a bc tkt on ua fm nrt to sin was 30,000. so, it seems that they are confused themselves. but what the heck, i got a 60,000 saver award tkt in economy from hnl to sin in the time frame i wanted. even managed to get ana from nrt to sin, and sq from sin to nrt.
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Happy to hear that you got it worked out to your liking. There was a recent thread about calling the airlines that if you don't get the right answer the first time, call back until you do. That is definitely applicable to FF awards, so it is worthwhile knowing the rules. Your ticket is on a Star Alliance Award (which in this case costs the same as a United Saver award).

Anyway, bon voyage, and I hope you have time for a stopover to have breakfast at Tsukiji.
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl; hai! early morining sushi in tsukiji will be a daily occurence. i will be in tokyo for the last week in oct. i will be careful to tip toe past your room so as not to wake you, but better yet, why don't i knock on your door when i get up, and you can join me for some asa sake and toro? btw, how was your trip to hokkaido last month? did you get a chance to go to otaru? ps. any fodorites plan to be in tokyo last week of oct. and want to get together? we can go to a yatai, have a few beers, or tea, and eat some oden. domo.
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:21 PM

I did make it to Otaru. I would like you to know that I headed straight for the Sushiya area. It was well into the afternoon, of course, but I intended to have sushi. The sushi plates in the restaurants looked good, but as I was passing one restaurant I got a whiff of smoke and heard some people talking. The smoke was from some tasty grilled beef. No sushi for me in Otaru. I had such a good Japanese meal in FC on my JAL flight that I had much more Japanese food on this trip. The idea of sushi for breakfast is no longer out of the question. So, a little tap on my door would be ok. If it is my first night or two in Japan I might already be awake and ready to go with you.
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

you got it!