Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

American Airline, the worst international service

May 19th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

AA has the worst international service going. Just got back from Italy,SFO to JFk, JFK to Rome and back, you have to pay for your drinks on the international flights and the "food" is the absolute worst I have ever been offered. All the Flight Attendants have an attitude problem, like you are really putting them out to be there working. They need to revamp their whole international service from top to bottom. Movies are all years old, and so are the planes. Can you beleive they showed Something about Mary, I think its about 10 years old. All the people I talked to that had different airlines, had good food and service, Buck
May 20th, 2004, 04:30 AM

You are quite an expert, based on one trip!

Keith
May 20th, 2004, 04:40 AM

Just my opinion,but........somehow, I question a negative review of an airline--accurate?--when the first judgement out of the reviewer's mouth has to do with the liquor service.....there is more to "service" and "quality" than the booze....Have a nice day..
May 20th, 2004, 06:10 AM
sandi

All the domestic carriers are now charging for drinks in Coach on International flights; I'm sure the International carriers won't be far behind.

As to food, this is certainly not the reason I select any airline, nor whether the flight attendents smile at me - rather the schedule, routing and price, but most importantly that we take off and land.

I've had good meals and bad on the same airline, free drinks and paid drinks, and I've never yet watched a movie on a plane, which are best viewed in a theater.

Can't believe that people still don't realize that a plane (as a train or boat or ship) is only a means of getting from point A to point B - a plane is a silver bullet flying at 35,000 ft. above the earth and not your livingroom.

May 20th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Sandi - very well put.
May 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

I can tell all of you so called experts haven't flown on AA international for some time, go now and then lets hear what you have to say, you will all change your tune very quickly unless you are stockholders, oh, so thats it, should have known, right, Buck
May 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Buck, I last flew international with AA on April 10.

Keith
May 20th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Buck.....I consider myself an expert only in my field of employment, not on this or any travel board.Sincerely,...
May 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I made a domestic Southwest reservation earlier this year, and as an added bonus for signing up for their FFmiles they promised me a free drink coupon. So I assume they charge for alcohol drinks. And the website says clearly: no food service. I want OLD movies on a flight, it means lower ticket price.

Buck, are you ready to pay additional price for everything you disliked? Sorry, but I don't.

Can't comment on attitude.
May 20th, 2004, 12:48 PM

I have flow 4 American Airlines international flights this year and I have nothing but praise. All the flights were on time and I enjoyed the more room throughout coach. Those extra inches of legroom really make a difference on long flights. I don't fly for the food and drink so couldn't care less whether they charge for liquor or if the meals are not up to gourmet standards. I'm off to Mexico on American next week and I intend to enjoy that flight too!
May 20th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

All of you are missing the point entirely, I am comparing AA with the others out there, The one that responded about Soutwest Air, I didn't know they were an international carrier now, what you can learn on this board.
I did not say I will pay a higher fare to get more service, I am saying other carriers offer more for the same price. Showing a 10 year old movie, 'Somethine About Mary', just does not set with me. If others like it fine, just saying what my flights were like. If you like surly FAs with an attitude go for it, I could care less, but for me next time I book international I will, first, look for the cheapest, then if alls equal, I would chose another carrier other than AA.As for taking off and getting there and landing, I think they all do that don't they? Just my opinion, Buck
May 21st, 2004, 05:07 AM

Have flown several, including AA. Preferred service on some of the others (not on US owned carriers though). No reason Buck shouldn't feel as he does, given his priorities. I'll still book with AA on economy whenever possible because of comfort levels - my priority. I've got no real feeling about airline food or free drinks, one way or the other. I've always had good luck with service from their people, in the air and on phone. Occasional attitude at the ticket counter.

Buck, I have to assume that you've been flying only European carriers internationally in the past, since the paying for drinks thing caught you off guard? May I ask which of them has been your favorite so far?
May 21st, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

I have flown on Air Lingus, Virgin Atlantic,Air New Zealand, Air France,Klm, British Air, also international on Delta, Continental, United,Northwest Air, AA, My pick of all of them would be British Air with Klm and Air New Zealand, a close second. I flew BA from SFO to London several times and also from London to Kenya, and I just like their service better than any of the others, Buck
May 21st, 2004, 10:19 AM
mjz

Good points, Sandi. Also, NWA serves alcoholic drinks in coach on international flights. I flew NWA in April and several people around me ordered wine and beer which was free...some had multiple drinks. I was surprised as I thought all domestic carriers charged for alcohol on international flights. Not a big deal for me personally as I prefer to stay hydrated with water on long flights.

By the way, I've always had good service on AA in coach and first class both domestic and international. Same thing with many other airlines...guess I'm easy to please.
May 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM
sandi

Guess that's the reason there are so many carriers out there from which to choose. But when I read buckspc mention BA I almost choked, considering how many others have complained.

Listen, it's a big world out there, with many carriers and as many passengers, all offering something for thse looking for whatever. Some carriers are good, others not; some are good flights, on lousy carriers; and then their are great carriers that have an off day with lousy food and a 10-yr old movie.

But seriously, what do we do about people who go hungry all around the world? Maybe they'd like an AA meal.

May 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM

Buck,

Funny how we're all so different. I disagree on AA, but agree completely on Air New Zealand. Great company. Qantas a very strong competitor in that area btw. I thought they were neck and neck and way ahead of any US carrier, yet I know Australians that hate them. Or hate the other. Go figure.

Aer Lingus, on the other hand, I've yet to have a comfortable flight on them. Nice people so far though. BA ok. Don't get me started on Delta or United though...
May 22nd, 2004, 06:40 AM

I do not understand the big deal about paying for drinks (unless you are paying full fare Y or J. If I am on my own dime, I look for fare and carrier. Given the choice of free booze and silver food service OR cheap fares most people will take the latter.

I fly AA to Europe from time to time. Have had great flights, bad flights, but mostly mediocre-like the rest. Usually it is dependent on the crew.
May 22nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

allenc,
If you went to the lavatory one hr. after take off on a 10 hr flight and there were no towels or soap and the floor was dirty how would rate that airline? Free drinks and decent food are only a small part of the whole picture, now I suppose you will say someone went in there ahead of me and used all the paper and soap and dirtied the floor, yea right, Buck
May 22nd, 2004, 11:09 AM

bucksp....so you have been on ALitalia as well! I should have said that cleanliness was tops, but with the exeception of ALitalia, I have never experienced a problem with a major carrier. And it the case of Alitalia, it was two out of three and the third was no great shakes hence I no longer patronize them.
May 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I am not an airline hater, in 1980 I got a roundtrip ticket from San Francisco to Miami for $300 and thought it was a great price, this year I got the same ticket for $284, now its even a greater bargain. I think its great to pay a few hunderd dollars and fly anywhere in the world in a few hrs anytime you decide to do it. So I love the travel, Buck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO