Please critique my itineraries!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted earlier for help on planning our trip to Myanmar, and now this trip is booked for January.

This is a plan that Damsel (this is an operator we have been working with) put together for us, using my input on what we would like to see.
I am looking for your help to my itineraries!, and see where adjustments are needed. Thank you in advance! Specifically looking on suggestions on how to spend our last day in Bagan (we cannot ride motorbikes), Inle boat trip stops, and any additional information on Loikaw. Thank you in advance!

16.01.18 Flight from Yangon to Bagan (11:00-12:20). Upon arrival, transfer to Hotel. Half day sightseeing in the afternoon. Visit to Wet-Kyi-In Gubyaukgyi Tempole, Manuha Temple, Ananda Temple and Oka Kyaung Monastery. Finally, enjoy sunset at Shwe San Daw Pgoda. Overnight in Bagan.
17.01.18 Enjoy sunrise over Bagan by Oriental Ballooning in the early morning. Afterward, return to Hotel. After breakfast at Hotel, visit to Colorful Nyaung Oo Market, Shwezigon Pagoda, Htilominlo Temple, Thabinnyu Temple and Dhammayangyi Temple. In the afternoon, visit to TantKyiTaung. Enjoy sunset over Irrawaddy by Boat on the return trip to Bagan. Overnight in Bagan.

18.01.18 Excursion to Salay with short walk in the city and obverse Salay Heritage Colonial building. Lunch break at Salay House Restaurant and Garden. Enjoy horse cart ride at sunset. Overnight in Bagan.

19.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, transfer to Airport. Flight from Bagan to Heho. Upon arrival, drive from Heho to Kakku via Taunggyi. Visit to Kakku Temple Complex. Next, drive to Aye Thar Yar Vineward for wine taste and lunch break. Afterward, drive to Nyaung Shwe. Transfer to Hotel by Indevi Boat. Overnight in Inle.

20.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, visit by Indevi Boat to Indein Pagoda. In the afternoon, visit to In Paw Khon Village and Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda and Nga Phe Chaung Monastery. Overnight in Inle.

21.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, transfer to Mine Thauk Village by Indevi Boat. Enjoy day return trekking in Mine Thauk-Da La Bin-Kin De-Mine Thauk. Overnight in Inle.
(Picnic Lunch at DaLaBin Village)

22.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, visit Mine Tauk, 5 days rotation market and visit Sagar by Indevi Boat. Visit to Thaya Gone Village and Sae Khaung Pottery Village. Photo stop at Tar Kaung Pagoda. Afterwards, continue by Indevi Boat to Phe Khon. By car from Phe Khon to Loikaw. Upon arrival in Loikaw, transfer to Hotel. Overnight in Loikaw.

23.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, full day excursion to Daw Ta Ma Gyi and Panpet Villages. Overnight in Loikaw.
(Picnic Lunch at DawTaMaGyi Village

24.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, full day excursion to The Kho Villages by 4 wheels vehicle. Overnight in Loikaw.
(Picnic Lunch at HteKho Village)

25.01.18 After breakfast at Hotel, transfer to Airport. Flight from Loikaw to Yangon. Time in Yangoon
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

I do not get much replies, so perhaps I should of not be asking everyone to read my entire plan.

I will try to ask several specific questions:

1. On our last day in Bagan (18.01.18) - would it make sense to explore more temples (by horse) vs going to Salay?

2. Any other recommendations for Inle Stops either on 20.01.18 or 20.02.18?

3. Any comments on Loikaw hiking plan.

Thank you!
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 09:55 AM

As I understand your plan, right now you have just one full day in Bagan to see the temples. You count a half day on your arrival day in Bagan. I never count half days, as there all all kinds of things that can happen to eliminate that half day, even if the rest of the itinerary works out. The next day is your one full day in Bagan. For me, that would not be enough time - remember there are thousands of temples in Bagan! I'd cancel Salay and spend all of the last day in Bagan viewing temples, by horsecart if you can.

I'm glad you are visiting Kakku, but be aware that this is not a temples complex, but a collection of stupas.

What is Indevi Boat? Is this a boat arranged by your travel agent?

Your Inle Lake plan makes little sense to me. The reason to go to Inle is to be on the lake and see ways of life that are centuries old. On your first day, at Inle, you plan to go to InDien. Get there as early as possible to avoid the crowds. After that, I do recommend a visit to Paw Khon Village (weaving village) if you have any interest in textiles. In particular, observe how they derive thread from Lotus stems. I've spent years traveling all over SE Asia, and this is the only place I've seen them use lotus fiber for weaving. I don't recommend visiting other "craft villages" as they are mostly opportunities to be sold stuff. Your other stops that day are fine.

Because you are going to do trekking in Loikaw, I'd cut the day-return trek at Inle, People tell me it is crowded, and that you see little of the traditional ways of life on that trek. Instead, go to Sankar, leaving early in the morning. Do go to the five-day market at Mine Tauk. You don't have to make a lot od stops to have Inle be worthwhile.

I haven't been to Loikaw, so have no comments on that part of your plan.

If you have other questions, do ask. I found your plan very hard to read, I expect this is a plan given to you by a travel agent.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, thank you so much for your attention and response!

Let me clarify.

1. Everything is booked by Damsel (hotels, private boats,private transfers and flights). I know it is cheaper to book some of it on my own, and normally I do this, but this time decided to take it easy and let them book everything. You are correct, this is the plan she gave me, and I pasted it (shortened a bit). And then I realized it would be hard for people to read and understand, so I tried to as questions in a bit different way

2. InDevy boats - just like traditional wooden boats with chairs and cushions. Here is the link that shows them. We have a private boat for all days.

http://discoverydmc.com/blog/myanmar.../indevi-boats/

3. I thought the same about Bagan - we need an additional day to explore more distant temples. However, from what I understand, they cannot be explored by car, and we should use either motorbikes or a horsecart. We cannot use motorbikes, and I thought riding a horsecart for an entire day, may kill my back . Now I am reading, it may not be too bad, we will probably go with that.

4. Inle Lake.
On Day 1 - per plan to visit Indein, Paw Khon Village, Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda and Nga Phe Chaung Monastery. So seems like everything that you suggested

On Day 3 - On the way to Loikaw, we visit Sagar (same as Sankar?), five-day market at Mine Tauk (because it is there on that day), etc and proceed to Loikaw. So, we do visit here everything you suggested as well

On Day 2 - I thought it would be good to have a short trek, because we spend two full days on a boat on Day 1 and Day 3. Supposedly, we can see a lot on the lake on our way to Loikaw.
If we do not do a trek - not sure what would be a better option on the lake.

Thank you so much again!
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Yes, Sankar/Sagar and many other spellings are all the same place.

It sounds like you have a plan you like - enjoy!
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kathie! Just need to tweak my time in Bagan then
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 09:58 AM

Your plan sounds good. As I recall I disembarked several times on Inle Lake. I traveled independently and had a private boat but my transportation was handled by a travel agency.

Bagan the only way to travel is by horse and cart unless you ride a bicycle. Two days is not too much, again you get off and see the various temples and Stupas.
This is my trip report from Burma, the first half deals with Thailand and then is Myanmar.
Enjoy it is a wonderful country.
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...nd-myanmar.cfm
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, NY! Will do some reading!