Notices

Myanmar Itinerary review and advise!:)

Old Nov 29th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myanmar Itinerary review and advise!:)

Well, Hello!
So I'm travelling Myanmar and I think I have it almost planned, but I'll love some good advise!
I'm arriving in Mandalay(3N) in the early afternoon, I will spend that half day getting in touch with the city and then have an early night to spend the next two days sightseeing and going on the outskirts of Mandalay properly. I'll be going Bagan (3N) next, I dont really want to rush in Bagan and I want to spend at least two proper days wandering around. Afterwards I'll take a bus to Kalaw to trekk for 3 days to Inle Lake, I know its a long trekk but I'll be able to get in touch with the burmese and its culture. At Inle Lake I'm thinking to just spend two nights cause I'd love to get to Sandoway and get to know the coaster side of Myanmar and spend at least 4 nights over there, cause the lenght of the trip is worth it. (Not sure if I'll go Yangon first or aftewards, I still need to check what's the best to get to Sandoway, some help will be great!)Then I'll be going to Yangon where I'll spend 2 nights before headind to the Myawaddy frontier crossing point to enter Thailand. I have around 4 days leverage to stop by the Golden Rock and Hpa-an before crossing to Thailand.
I've noticed its a lot to see in a short time, but well, I know I might have to shorten up at some point or even go somewhere different if the adventured changes!
I'd love to hear from your opinion if you've been there, I'd love to get off the beaten track a little bit, but there are so many cool things I dont want to miss
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 06:10 PM

Frankly, Mandalay is th elest interesting of the "Big 4" destinations in Myanmar. I'd suggest you cut a day from there. You can actually visit all of the Ancient cities in one long day. There is little in the city itself - the Mahamuni Temple is worth a stop but don't bother with the old palace area, as nothing of the old palace survives.

Three nights in Bagan is just two days, so you'll see a few temples, but yes, you will be rushing.

Your trek to Inle Lake is well on the tourist track - decide if it worth your time. You contact will mostly be with other westerners doing the same trek. Two night at Inle Lake is just one day. You really need a minimum of 3 nights - two days to get any chance to see Inle - you'll want at least one full day on the lake and one day to go to the southern part of the lake, Sankar.

To get to Sandoway, you'll need to fly from Yangon. The whole last part of your trip with Hpa-An and the Golden Rock has not been thought through enough, IMO. Frankly, I think you are trying to cover too much. Myanmar is a remarkable place, slow down and give yourself time to experience it. Frankly, going overland out of the country just wastes time. You are better off flying from Yangon, IMO.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 02:14 AM

I would like to suggest you to do things in Bagan. Most amazing thing about Bagan is sunrise, one of the Bagan’s most famous “specialties”. You will equally determine to find an amazing vantage point from which to witness the idyllic Bagan sunrise.
Bagan sunset is at its finest as the blazing sun sinks slowly to earth and a rainbow of colors fill the sky. Bagan sunset spots recommendations to two favorites; the incredible North Guni Temple (also known as Myauk Guni) and the terrace at the Pyathadar Hpaya Temple.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Hello Kathie! I really appreciate your reply, I think you are right and I'll be cutting Mandalay a day so I can spend an extra day or two in Bagan, I thought I wasnt rushing that much, but I really am.. lol. About the trekking do you know any alternatives which are not as touristy? I wanted to cut some time at Inle so I can cover more places, but now Sandoway it's getting more difficult to go as it's not really on my path to Myawaddy frontier. But after your advice I'll be spending an extra night at Inle, but I'd love to go at least at one place it's not really crowded of tourists, do you know any places worth stopping for a night or two, maybe from my way from Inle to Yangon? Thank you!
Hello John! yess, Bagan it's a must and as I said to Kathie I'll spend a couple more days to enjoy it as its fullest! and I wont miss the sunrise and the sunset.

I really appreciate you both are taking the time to advice me!
Cheers!
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 06:28 AM

Everyplace not mentioned in the "big 4" is off the tourist track. Do you have a guidebook? The Lonely Planet one is the most up to date.

The best trekking that is not so crowded as the Kalaw to Inle trek is around Kengtung. It isn't especially easy to get there, but people I know who have done it have felt it worthwhile. Or, you could do a trek around Kalaw (just not to Inle). We loved Mrauk U - but it is time-consuming and expensive to get to. A recent poster reported on his side trip to Monywa and the caves. We are there Nov 2015, as our Pandaw cruise up to Chindwin started from there. Or you could visit the beautifully carved teak monastery at Salay, an hour or so from Bagan. Lots of possibilities.

You might want to look at our photos www.marlandc.com There are three sets of photos of Myanmar: 2009, 2011, 2015.