Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What is your favourite Bangkok restaurant?

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Currently compiling a shortlist of 'must eats' for our upcoming trip to Thailand in April.

I currently have on my list:
Harmonique
Cabbages and Condoms
Rang Mahal
Royal India
Duilio
Loy Nava

Would be interested to hear of your favourites or any other possibles for my list!?
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Try Lemongrass. Its address is Soi 24, Sukhumvit Road.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM

The Lord Jim's seafood restaurant in the Oriental Hotel serves a great lunch buffet for 870 baht (20us) excluding tax and service charge.
Also if you really want a treat on a sunday afternoon, then take in a brunch at the luxurious Sukhothai Hotel and then wander the beautiful grounds afterwards. The brunch itself is one of the best you will find anywhere in all your travels. Cost around 1000 baht (23us)
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:13 PM

yes to harmonique--our new thai favorite..cabbages and condoms was ok, but next door is crepes and co which we liked even better--we went there 3 times in nov...full meals or just desserts....another new favorite is gourmet gallery..it is on a soi which starts with the letter "P", off of soi 39, sukumvit road---have the onion soup with the hat (pastry top)--the best i have ever had--great desserts, moderate--good steak too.....a must is Biscotti in the regent hotel is very good--modern italien....jesters in the peninsula hotel is very now, expensive, great view...tea at the peninsula in the afternoon---we liked it in the lobby.....the thai family restaurant on the first floor of the mall attached to the marriott resort and spa (our favorite hotel--best pool in bkk); it has a green awning--$12-15 for 2 with beer for dinner---full of thai people--great......lord jim for lunch, as noted above....senor pico in the rembrandt hotel, soi 18, sukumvit rd--very good, but better is their indian restaurant on the top floor( i think that is rang mahal), fabulous view ...they have a sunday brunch (all indian) which is not to be believed...ask for a table by the window--reservations reccommended....lemmongrass we thought was overrated--reservation essential by the way, but it is cheap..full of expats.....Senses on the second floor of the gaysorn plaza shopping mall, plenochit rd (continuation of sukumvit rd)---very nice indeed for lunch or dinner.....spice market in the regent hotel is a favorite of my wife's--i found it good but too expensive for thai food....nice hotel however....

we use the book THE TREASURERS AND PLEASURERS OF THAILAND by impact books as a shopping guide, but their hotel and restaurant section is fabulous as well
have a blast...eat one course for me at each restaurant, cause i can't come back for at least another year..
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:46 AM

-burger king..
-BBQ meat vender on Rang nam rd
-Pizza hut, siam center 90bt
personal seafood pan pizza.
-Robinson Dept store food coart food..
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Cabbages & Condoms
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I was reading some reviews yesterday about Anna's Cafe and Ryn's Bed and Cafe, has anyone any experience of either of these?
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:51 PM
peg

Cabbages and Condoms
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Nev

Cabbages & Condoms is fantastic and cheap, but for a really good night out visit the Sala Rim Nam on the Chao Praya river oposite the Oriental (owned by the oriental)book a table through the hotel you are staying at.
Enjoy !!

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Its a shame you didnt specify if the restaurant is traditional Thai or for the typical farang!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Airlawgirl

Agree with Scotters-I was there in Jan., and Lord Jim's seafood lunch buffet was great, enjoyed it a lot-my friends had lunch at Le Normandie-allegedly the best French restaurant in Bangkok-also at the Oriental-they were very pleased about food and service. Don't bother with Spice Market at the Regent-food was pretty pedestrian-to bad-ate at Cabbages and Condoms in Chaing Mai-liked it a lot, the preparation of food was clearly geared to Westerners-but don't know about Bangkok branch. Thought the buffet dinner at Sheraton Royal Orchid was quite good, but a bit expensive-view is the best in Bangkok, in my opinion.
Did very much like the afternoon tea at the Hyatt Regency at Siam Square-their chocolate fondue fountain is not to be missed! Also, got to see a huge Thai wedding reception during tea as well, which was a bonus-if you go to the Hyatt be sure not to miss the Erewan Shrine outside the Hyatt-the huge spirit house built especially for this hotel-I was there the day before New Year's and it was fantastic-Thai dancing-the air thick with incense-Thais from all over the city bringing huge offerings of wooden elephants on a tray, lotus blossoms, etc. -there were few shrines I saw in all of Thailand that were that well attended!
Best Thai restaurant in Thailand-my opinion-is the Gallery in Chaing Mai-right on the river-and great food-haven't yet found that favorite restaurant in Bangkok though-have heard Lemon Grass is quite good-as well as Crepes and Co.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:49 PM

MANGO looks like a farang fest..
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Airlawgirl

ha! ha! ha! That's EXACTLY what it is, Orgy7, a farang listing of the best farang restaurants in Bangkok! What else did you expect!

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:35 PM

I second someone's opinion of tea at the Peninsula. I second everything positive said about the Peninsula. Everything about it is exquisite and gorgeous. We loved every second of our stay there and found it so much nicer than the tired old lady across the street (oriental). Mei Jing, the Chinese restaurant at the Peninsula was out of this world delicious with many delicate flavors. Our favorite Thai food in Thailand was at the Celadon at the Sukothai. It is the most beautiful room and the food was phenomenal. Get the green curry.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Mango - Well, I am obviously a 'farang' so that's why the suggestions will be 'typical'! Is there something wrong in that?

Airlawgirl - that chocolate fondue sound gorgeous!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 07:24 PM

My two favorite restaurants outside of hotels are Harmonique and Lemongrass.

One option that hasn't been mentioned is that the Grand Hyatt Erawan has a "buffet" lunch in their Thai restaurant that you order from the menu. Personally, I'm not fond of buffets beacuse almost no food benefits from spending time on a buffet table. The "buffet" at the Hyatt you order from a menu - you can order as many things as you want. It was a great way to try out dishes I didn't know, and everything was cooked fresh for us. Sorry, I don't have my journal here, so I don't remember the name of the place or the price, but I do remmember that the price was reasonable.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:03 PM

The Seafood Restaurant (or maybe its called The Seafood Market). It looks like a big supermarket, and you select fresh seafood and vegetables, and the cook it up how you like. Its a very large and popular restaurant with great food.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:27 PM

We were recently in Bangkok and recommend the following:

Sala Rim Naamrder ala carte on the terrace instead of getting the fixed menu with the show

MBK: The food court on the 6th floor of this mall has a huge selection of food at very low prices and is a lot of fun.

Thanya Thai? spelling : a royal thai restaurant off of Silom road, very good.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I really enjoyed Sweet Basil also. It is located on the street behind Crowne Plaza (Holiday Inn) on Silom.

Gale
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 08:27 AM
Peep

Just ate at Cabbages and Condoms the other day and really liked it! It's nice to sit outside at night surrounded by trees and strings of lights.