Bob's Thailand restaurant list

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed Bob a while ago for his restaurant list but I never heard from him (probably b/c he's traveling now).

But if anyone has it, can you please email it to me. We leave next week for Thailand.

Thanks

Here's my email [email protected]
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM

You might do a search on this forum. Bob has listed his favorites many times. They include:

Tongue Thai
Harmonique
Crepes & Co.
Baan Kanitha
The Thai restaurant at the Peninsula
Dim Sum at the Conrad Hotel
Biscotti's (the Italian restaurant)
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Not sure about "Bob" but a good list of favorite restaurants on Phuket can be found at:

http://phuketdelight.com/Favorite%20Restaurants.htm

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM

here it is:

MY FAVORITE BANGKOK RESTAURANTS AS OF OCT 2005

I will divide them by cuisine for easier reference….some I have only eaten at once but many I go back to over and over again….generally food is far cheaper in thailand and presented in a much more pleasing and innovative way with great pride and courtesy…

THAI

Tongue Thai---spicy thai restaurant located directly behind OP Place which is in back of the Oriental hotel (1/2 block off of new road)….small place with maybe 10-12 tables…moderate price…they will spice the food to suit your desires…res not necessary…lunch and dinner…very high on our list of favorites…dinner for two with beer and bottled water about $30---1200 B

Harmonique---unique thai restaurant…located in the former alleyway between a couple of buildings and in some rooms directly off of that alley…when it rains, if you are sitting in the alleyway you get wet…eclectic décor…owned and operated by 3 old people—family…delicious…reasonable--$22.---855 B full dinner with hors d’, mains, rice, mango and sticky rice and beers and waters….22 New Rd, soi 34…the soi is just to the left of the huge general post office on new road….there is a colorful archway over the entrance to the soi and the restaurant is down the soi about 200 feet on the right….they will hail a taxi for you when you leave if you ask them…also very high on our list…

Celedon at the Sukhothai Hotel on south sathorn road….expensive….beautifully served and decorated thai dishes…worth a visit if in the area…we thought it overpriced and food was so so….

Gallery Café---86-110 New Road…near the Sheraton orchid hotel…from the door of the Sheraton turn right , go to the end of capt bush rd, turn left…it is along that stretch of the road on the right before you reach new rd….excellent…moderate…massages available on second floor…eat in or out…lovely decorations….good service…food is very tasty…mostly foreigners as customers…$29—1154 B full dinner with one glass of wine, one beer and bottled water…a gpanda favorite…

Spice Market---located within the four seasons hotel on rachadami rd…average thai food prepared with foreigners in mind….not very spicy… nice plain restaurant atmosphere…moderate to expensive….

Face Thai Restaurant---soi 38, sukhumvit rd….open lunch and dinner….excellent thai food and preparation…expensive…lovely setting…beautiful at nite with candles…$45 for lunch—1385 B…see also Indian section…hard to find on soi 38…watch for a black sign on the left of the road with a gold face on it…

Lemmongrass---soi 24, sukhumvit rd….old thai house….res essential or you will be turned away…so so food and atmosphere….we would not go back there but many love it and it is always crowded with tourists and ex-pats…moderate…it is sort of run down…

Baan Khanitha, soi 23 sukhumvit rd…there is another one but we had a very bad experience there---poor service so only go to the soi 23 one…old thai house…lovely atmosphere…lunch or dinner…res suggested…Tel: 02-258-4181…delicious thai food well prepared and elegantly served…carved decorations…good service…moderate to expensive…$35---1377B dinner with appetizers (always given on free house selection, unique to this restaurant), mains, rice, beers and water, mango and sticky rice…

Cabbages and Condoms, soi 12 sukhumvit rd….cheap thai food…eat in or out…project of the international population control center…shop with everything made out of condoms…food was bland…tourists love it…lovely garden dining outside if you wish…we would not go back there—uninspiring…

Salathip at the Shangri-la Hotel…indoor or outdoor dining next to the river…thai…lovely red thai pavilion building…have not eaten there myself but have looked at the very varied menu….recent reports not good…expensive…

Sala Rim Naam---opposite the oriental hotel on the other side of the river…owned by oriental…site of their nightly dance show…also dinner only…expensive…food decent …uncomfortable seating for dance show…show good if you like thai dance…

Thanying---behind the holiday inn silom…10 soi pramvan, silom road…old thai house, formal dining…good food, moderate to expensive…

Thalaythip at the Peninsula Hotel…al fresco dining…dinner only and only on non-rainy nites…excellent…dine near to the river…3 tasting menus with excellent choices or an a la carte menu…set meals for 2 in the 1900-2500 B price range….moderate…$65 or 2600 B for middle priced tasting menu for 2….res necessary…one of our favorites…menus have great variety…

Jim Thompson House and Main store….excellently prepared thai and western dishes, lunch and dinner…reasonable….new restaurant at the House museum is large and well appointed although modern…fits nicely with old houses on property…walk from national stadium stop of skytrain…Main store…2nd floor….suriwong rd…excellent place for lunch while shopping…worth a trip just to eat….lots of local business people were eating there when I ate lunch there in june…always cheap and excellent….$10 or 400B…2 mains and 2 desserts with water…excellent desserts….we eat there at least once per trip…so cheap and good quality…

There is a new thai restaurant next door to the six degrees restaurant at 42 convent road…it is very attractive and the food is excellent we are told…can’t wait to try it…moderate to expensive…bright and airy with tons of plants…very modern..

Kaew Saveoy---on the ground level of the Marriott resort and spa mini mall…in back of the bank and directly across the parking lot from the swenson’s ice cream…very cheap…mostly thai families eating there….excellent simple thai food…clean…$15 or 612 B…beers and glass of wine, many mains and mango and sticky rice…tons of food..

INDIAN

Rang Mahal on the 26th floor of the Rembrandt Hotel, soi 18, sukhumvit rd….great views of bkk…wonderful Sunday brunch…mostly Indian families…res necessary and ask for a window seat…Tel: 02-261-7100, ext 7532…also open nightly for dinner (not sure about lunch)….delicious food well prepared and served…brunch is huge and turns over quickly---very fresh…brunch 575 B each --$14.50….very very high on our list..

Face---Hazara Restaurant…only open for dinner…in face complex soi 38, sukhumvit rd…reconstructed thai house….candle lit at nite….excellent food…restaurant is on the 2nd floor of one of the houses…res. necessary…moderate to expensive…huge menu…$43---1700 B for two…full dinner with beers and water…high on our list..
Also thai restaurant at same location, plus spa and bakery and bar…thai open for lunch and dinner…see above…

Himali Cha Cha---off new road, not far from harmonique but on other side of street…excellent Indian food…small restaurant….also has a location off of sukhumvit rd… moderate…

ITALIAN

Biscotti---in the Four Seasons Hotel…excellent Italian meal…german or swiss chef…open kitchen…innovative and attractive servings…excellent pizza and soups as well as intricate entrees and first courses…artful…one of our most special favorites…moderate to expensive…$73---2930 B…full meal…beer and glass of wine, 2 first courses, 2 main courses and 2 desserts, plus one cappichino…meal would be $200 in usa…there is a sense of excitement at this restaurant…only thing to change in 4 years are the prices and they are up about 30%....well worth it however…special occasion or a break from thai food…Tel: 02-250-1000

L’Opera, 53 sukhumvit, soi 39…on a corner where road goes to the left…not easy to spot…worth the effort however…excellent italian foods, well prepared…huge servings…all the favorites…good service…interesting interior…$40 or 1600 B for full dinner…also open in Yangon, Myanmar….will go again and again…

Gianni’s…off Lang Suan…very disappointing and expensive…lots of attitude…would not return…

Angelini in the Shangri-la hotel…two level restaurant with view out to river over swimming pool…excellent lounge with live western music that can be heard throughout the restaurant….expensive….$7.50 for a small pony size bottle of Evian water (that made me mad)….excellent dinner…very romantic…delicious food…great presentation…maybe $75+ without a bottle of wine…

Lalo Italian---corner of soi 23 and sukhumvit….small modern restaurant…decent food…moderate…we only had pizza for lunch…good place for lunch or even dinner…good location…

Six Degrees, new restaurant at 42 convent road, off of silom…excellent, hip place…minalmistic…excellent food…straight forward service…highly suggested as an alternative dining place…$48 or 1836 B…glass of wine, beer, two appet., 2 main and two desserts…we look forward to returning….excellent looking thai place next door…Tel: 02-632-2995…

Buono Italian Restaurant---286 Silom Rd…located in a house set back from the street and just next to the evergreen laurel hotel…excellent full service Italian rest…moderate…

ASIAN

Le Delat Indochine---Vietnamese…cousin restaurant on same street: Le Delat…same menu…excellent ….beautiful presentation and tasty food…grow all of their own greens so this is a place to eat lettuce, etc…old thai house…costumed wait staff…excellent service…exceptionally fresh…soi 23, sukhumvit road….moderate…res suggested..

Liu restaurant on 3rd floor of the Conrad Hotel, Wireless rd…excellent fixed priced dim sum luncheon…select items from a 36 item menu…unique dim sum…all you can eat…the best we have ever had…I can’t get enough of this place….highly highly encourage you to visit…600 B or $15 per person….total bill 1458 B one time and 1500 B the next visit…high high on my list…

GENERAL

The Loft on 7th floor of the Central Chitlom Department Store…direct access from skytrain…excellent upscale cafeteria…unique system for paying…very fresh food…almost any cuisine you want…inexpensive to moderate…staff provides some table service…each thing we tried was excellent and very very fresh…italian pizza for two with water and desserts $11—431 B…Japanese tempura for two $22—866 B…quick and delicious….shop and eat at the same time….great place for a break during shopping…lots of shops are near by as well…freshly made items/ongoing and cooked to order…will go often in future….

Crepes and Co…soi 12, sukhumvit rd…directly next door to cabbages and condoms…open from early morning to late at nite…middle eastern food as well as crepes of all sorts…a favorite for a full meal for just a dessert…dining inside or out…swiss owned…relaxed atmosphere…moderate..very fresh and delicious….$28 (1100 B) for full dinner with glass of wine and beer and two courses…. $19 (750 B) for late nite supper…all very delicious…unique in bkk….high on our return list…we have eaten there many many times…

Lord Jim---located in the Oriental hotel…one of the best luncheon buffets in bkk…about $27 per person…emphasis on fish/seafood but loads of other items…very extensive…lovely view out to the river from large picture windows…excellent for dinner as well…

Senses---simple restaurant located in the lobby on the 2nd floor of the gaysorn plaza on plenochit…lunch and dinner…excellent sandwiches and entrees…moderate…gaysorn is an upscale designer plaza with nice thai shops on its 3rd floor…

Senor Pico…excellent Mexican restaurant located in the Rembrandt Hotel on soi 18, sukhumvit rd…moderate…

Suan Lum nite market at the corner of rama IV and wireless roads….open air beer garden and restaurant in addition to a tourist orientated nite market…one stop shopping especially when you don’t have much time….

Gourmet Gallery---soi promsri 1 which is a right turn off of soi 39, sukhumvit rd…restaurant is located behind a row of shops on the soi…look for small parking lot behind a dry cleaners…excellent continental meals…onion soup a speciality—get the one with the “hat”….good steaks…excellent desserts…we almost always go there the nite before our long plane ride home…American style food…moderate…$33 or 1339 B for glass of wine, 1 beer, 2 filet mignon, 2 desserts…

Uno---ground floor restaurant/coffee shop/bakery at the Marriott resort and spa…simple fare like pizza, salads, bakery items and limited menu including the famous Marriott burger made with American beef…a quick stop for a bite or bakery items…moderate..2 caesar salads, desserts and with water…$24 or 1070 B

Bed Supper Club---soi 11, sukhumvit road…unlike anything else in bkk or this world…you sit on 50 foot long beds with bed trays as your table, bathed in white sheets, with loads of pillows to prop you up..…everything is white in the place….gourmet meals--continental….set meal on weekends and choice of 3 appts. and 3 mains and 3 desserts during the week…during the week the price is 1090 B per person…expensive…our total bill was $69 or 2640 B…excellent drink list…good service…res necessary…lounge/club attached…free entertainment each evening…dj with good tunes…projections on walls of animation…good for all ages…adults only—over 20 I think…Tel: 02-651-3537

Manohra---sunset cruise on the chao payra river…operated by the Marriott resort and spa hotel…one hour cruise up the river to memorial bridge and back at the time of sunset…lovely trip and chance to enjoy a cocktail…dinner cruises also available, however we consider the food storage and preparation on the edge…many other hotels also offer dinner cruises on the river…

Saladaeng Café—one of the Jim Thompson restaurants, also called JT Farmers Market…1 Saladaeng, soi 1, Silom….similar menu to other JT outlets…excellent place for lunch or dinner…sort of in back of the dusit thani hotel…near to the nite market..cheap to moderate…

Sky Bar…atop the State Building at the corner of silom and new roads….64 floors up… an open air bar with an unparelled view of Bangkok and beyond…there are several other venues up there as well including the ultra expensive Sorrocco restaurant….don’t go if it is going to rain…indoor and outdoor dining…2 beers at the bar are a whopping 610 B or $15….well worth a visit on a clear nite…we were there as a thunder storm approached and it was unbelievable…

I hope that this gives you some ideas on where to eat in bkk….it is one of the best eating cities on this globe….there are many many more restaurants, but these are our favorites…bon appetite!!

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Himali Cha Cha location on Sukhumvit has closed.

If you really like Mexican food, don't go to Senor Pico's. No reason to eat Mexican food in Thailand (they don't know how to make it). If you must, Coyote on Convent is slightly better, but they do have a fantastic selection of Blue Agave Tequila there.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM

thanks for saving me craig...
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Actually Himali cha cha has reopened on Sukhumvit Soi 31.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the update. I should have said the location on Suk Soi 35 was closed. Food has really gone downhill there in the last few years. Was a favorite when I lived there, but I recently took an Indian friend of mine there and he told me he didn't know what kind of food it was. Very disapointing.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM

LOL!

actually I agree. I always felt queasy after eating at Himali cha cha, so stopped going!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Here is Bob's 2005 list:

MY FAVORITE BANGKOK RESTAURANTS AS OF OCT 2005

I will divide them by cuisine for easier reference….some I have only eaten at once but many I go back to over and over again….generally food is far cheaper in thailand and presented in a much more pleasing and innovative way with great pride and courtesy…

THAI

Tongue Thai---spicy thai restaurant located directly behind OP Place which is in back of the Oriental hotel (1/2 block off of new road)….small place with maybe 10-12 tables…moderate price…they will spice the food to suit your desires…res not necessary…lunch and dinner…very high on our list of favorites…dinner for two with beer and bottled water about $30---1200 B

Harmonique---unique thai restaurant…located in the former alleyway between a couple of buildings and in some rooms directly off of that alley…when it rains, if you are sitting in the alleyway you get wet…eclectic décor…owned and operated by 3 old people—family…delicious…reasonable--$22.---855 B full dinner with hors d’, mains, rice, mango and sticky rice and beers and waters….huge menu….22 New Rd, soi 34…the soi is just to the left of the huge general post office on new road….there is a colorful archway over the entrance to the soi and the restaurant is down the soi about 200 feet on the right….they will hail a taxi for you when you leave if you ask them…also very high on our list…

Celedon at the Sukhothai Hotel on south sathorn road….expensive….beautifully served and decorated thai dishes…worth a visit if in the area…we thought it overpriced and food was so so….we are told they have an excellent Sunday brunch…..

Gallery Café---86-110 New Road…near the Sheraton Orchid Hotel…from the door of the Sheraton turn right , go to the end of capt bush rd, turn left…it is along that stretch of the road on the right before you reach new rd….excellent…moderate…massages available on second floor…eat in or out…lovely asian decorations….good service…food is very tasty…mostly foreigners as customers…$29—1154 B full dinner with one glass of wine, one beer and bottled water…a gpanda favorite…

Spice Market---located within the Four Seasons Hotel on Rachadami rd…average thai food prepared with foreigners in mind….not very spicy… nice plain restaurant atmosphere…moderate to expensive….

Face, Thai Restaurant---soi 38, Sukhumvit rd….open lunch and dinner….excellent thai food and preparation…expensive…lovely setting…beautiful at nite with candles…$45 for lunch—1385 B…see also Indian section…hard to find on soi 38…watch for a black sign on the left of the soi with a gold face on it…

Lemmongrass---Soi 24, Sukhumvit rd….old thai house….res essential or you will be turned away…so so food and atmosphere….we would not go back there, but many love it and it is always crowded with tourists and ex-pats…moderate…it is sort of run down…

Baan Khanitha, soi 23, Sukhumvit rd…there is another one, but we have not yet been there—it is on sathorn rd…old thai house…lovely atmosphere…lunch or dinner…res suggested…Tel: 02-258-4181…delicious thai food well prepared and elegantly served…carved decorations…good service…moderate to expensive…$35---1377B dinner with appetizers (always given free, house selection, unique to this restaurant), mains, rice, beers and water, mango and sticky rice…

Cabbages and Condoms, soi 12 Sukhumvit rd….cheap thai food…eat in or out…project of the international population control center…shop, with everything made out of condoms…food was bland…tourists love it…lovely garden dining outside if you wish…we would not go back there—uninspiring…

Salathip at the Shangri-la Hotel…indoor or outdoor dining, next to the river…thai…lovely red thai pavilion building…have not eaten there myself but have looked at the very varied menu….recent reports not good…expensive…

Sala Rim Naam---opposite the Oriental Hotel on the other side of the river…owned by the Oriental…site of their nightly dance show…also dinner only…expensive…food decent …uncomfortable seating for dance show…show good if you like thai dance…they also provide outside lunch/dinner only service, sans show…. Take boat from hotel…

Thanying---behind the holiday inn silom…10 soi Pramvan, Silom road…old thai house, formal dining…good food, moderate to expensive…

Thalaythip at the Peninsula Hotel…al fresco dining…dinner only and only on non-rainy nites…excellent…dine near to the river…3 tasting menus with excellent choices or an a la carte menu…set meals for 2 in the 1900-2500 B price range….moderate…$65 or 2600 B for middle priced tasting menu for 2….res necessary…one of our favorites…menus have great variety…

Jim Thompson House and Main store….excellently prepared thai and western dishes, lunch and dinner…reasonable….new restaurant at the JT House Museum is large and well appointed although modern…fits nicely with old houses on property…walk from national stadium stop of skytrain…Main store: 2nd floor….Suriwong rd at junction with Rama IV rd…excellent place for lunch while shopping…worth a trip just to eat….lots of local business people were eating there when I ate lunch there in june, ‘05…always cheap and excellent….$10 or 400B…2 mains and 2 desserts with water…excellent desserts….we eat there at least once per trip…so cheap and good quality…there are other jim Thomson eateries around town….all excellent…

There is a new thai restaurant next door to the Six Degrees restaurant at 42 convent road…it is very attractive and the food is excellent we are told…can’t wait to try it…moderate to expensive…bright and airy with tons of plants…very modern.. the name is Naj Exquisite Thai Cuisine…Tel: 66-2-632-2811

Kaew Saveoy---on the ground level of the Marriott resort and spa mini mall…in back of the bank and directly across the parking lot from the swenson’s ice cream…very cheap…mostly thai families eating there….excellent simple thai food…clean…$15 or 612 B…beers and glass of wine, many mains and mango and sticky rice…tons of food..

INDIAN

Rang Mahal on the 26th floor of the Rembrandt Hotel, soi 18, sukhumvit rd….great views of bkk…wonderful Sunday brunch…mostly Indian families…res necessary and ask for a window seat…Tel: 02-261-7100, ext 7532…also open nightly for dinner (not sure about lunch)….delicious food well prepared and served…brunch is huge and turns over quickly---very fresh…brunch 575 B each (june, ’05) --$14.50….very very high on our list..

Face---Hazara Restaurant…only open for dinner…in face complex soi 38, sukhumvit rd…reconstructed thai house….candle lit at nite….excellent food…restaurant is on the 2nd floor of one of the houses…res. necessary…moderate to expensive…huge menu…$43---1700 B for two…full dinner with beers and water…high on our list..
Also thai restaurant at same location, plus spa and bakery and bar…only thai section is open for lunch …see above…

Himali Cha Cha---off new road, not far from harmonique but on other side of street…excellent Indian food…small restaurant….… moderate…

ITALIAN

Biscotti---in the Four Seasons Hotel…excellent Italian meal…german or swiss chef…open kitchen…innovative and attractive servings…excellent pizza and soups as well as intricate entrees and first courses…artful…one of our most special favorites…moderate to expensive…$73---2930 B…full meal…beer and glass of wine, 2 first courses, 2 main courses and 2 desserts, plus one cappichino…meal would be $200 in usa…there is a sense of excitement at this restaurant…only thing to change in 4 years are the prices and they are up about 30%....well worth it however…special occasion or a break from thai food…Tel: 02-250-1000

L’Opera, 53 Sukhumvit, soi 39…on a corner where road goes to the left…not easy to spot…worth the effort however…excellent italian foods, well prepared…huge servings…all the favorites…good service…interesting interior…$40 or 1600 B for full dinner…also open in Yangon, Myanmar….will go again and again…

Gianni’s…off Lang Suan…very disappointing and expensive…lots of attitude…would not return…

Angelini in the Shangri-la hotel…two level restaurant with view out to river over swimming pool…excellent lounge with live western music that can be heard throughout the restaurant….expensive….$7.50 for a small pony size bottle of Evian water (that made me mad)….excellent dinner…very romantic…delicious food…great presentation…maybe $75+ without a bottle of wine…

Lalo Italian---corner of soi 23 and Sukhumvit….small modern restaurant…decent food…moderate…we only had pizza for lunch…good place for lunch or even dinner…good location…

Six Degrees, new restaurant at 42 convent road, off of silom…excellent, hip place…minalmistic…excellent food…straight forward service…highly suggested as an alternative dining place…$48 or 1836 B…glass of wine, beer, two appet., 2 main and two desserts…we look forward to returning….excellent looking thai place next door…Tel: 02-632-2995…

Buono Italian Restaurant---286 Silom Rd…located in a house set back from the street and just next to the Evergreen Laurel Hotel…excellent full service Italian rest…moderate…

ASIAN

Le Delat Indochine---Vietnamese…cousin restaurant on same street: Le Delat…same menu…excellent ….beautiful presentation and tasty food…grow all of their own greens so this is a place to eat lettuce, etc…old thai house…costumed wait staff…excellent service…exceptionally fresh…soi 23, Sukhumvit road….moderate…res suggested..

Liu restaurant on 3rd floor of the Conrad Hotel, Wireless rd…excellent fixed priced dim sum luncheon…select items from a 36 item menu…unique dim sum…all you can eat…the best we have ever had…I can’t get enough of this place….highly highly encourage you to visit…600 B or $15 per person….total bill 1458 B one time and 1500 B the next visit…high high on my list…

GENERAL

The Loft on 7th floor of the Central Chitlom Department Store, Plenochit road…direct access from skytrain…excellent upscale cafeteria…unique system for purchasing and paying…very fresh food…almost any cuisine you want…inexpensive to moderate…staff provides some table service…each thing we tried was excellent and very very fresh…italian pizza for two with water and desserts $11—431 B…Japanese tempura for two $22—866 B…quick and delicious….shop and eat at the same time….great place for a break during shopping…lots of shops are near by as well…freshly made items/ongoing and cooked to order…will go often in future….

Crepes and Co…soi 12, Sukhumvit rd…directly next door to cabbages and condoms…open from early morning to late at nite…middle eastern food as well as crepes of all sorts…a favorite for a full meal or for just a dessert…dining inside or out…Swiss owned…relaxed atmosphere…moderate..very fresh and delicious….$28 (1100 B) for full dinner with glass of wine and beer and two courses…. $19 (750 B) for late nite supper…all very delicious…unique in bkk….high on our return list…we have eaten there many many times…

Lord Jim---located in the Oriental Hotel…one of the best luncheon buffets in bkk…about $27 per person…emphasis on fish/seafood but loads of other items…very extensive…lovely view out to the river from large picture windows…excellent for dinner as well…

Senses---simple restaurant located in the lobby on the 2nd floor of the Gaysorn Plaza on Plenochit…lunch and dinner…excellent sandwiches and entrees…moderate…gaysorn is an upscale designer plaza with nice thai shops on its 3rd floor…

Senor Pico…excellent Mexican restaurant located in the Rembrandt Hotel on soi 18, Sukhumvit rd…moderate to expenisive but very good…

Suan Lum nite market at the corner of Rama IV and Wireless roads….open air beer garden and restaurant in addition to a tourist orientated nite market…one stop shopping especially when you don’t have much time in bkk….

Gourmet Gallery---soi Promsri 1 which is a right turn off of soi 39, Sukhumvit rd…restaurant is located behind a row of shops on the soi…look for small parking lot behind a dry cleaners…excellent continental meals…onion soup a speciality—get the one with the “hat”….good steaks…excellent desserts…we almost always go there the nite before our long plane ride home…American style food…moderate…$33 or 1339 B for glass of wine, 1 beer, 2 filet mignon, 2 desserts…

Uno---ground floor restaurant/coffee shop/bakery at the Marriott resort and spa…simple fare like pizza, salads, bakery items and limited menu including the famous Marriott burger made with American beef…a quick stop for a bite or bakery items…moderate..2 caesar salads, desserts and with water…$24 or 1070 B

Bed Supper Club---soi 11, Sukhumvit road…unlike anything else in bkk or this world…you sit on 50 foot long beds with bed trays as your table, bathed in white sheets, with loads of pillows to prop you up..…everything is white in the place….gourmet meals--continental….set meal on weekends and choice of 3 appts. and 3 mains and 3 desserts during the week…during the week the price is 1090 B per person (june, ’05)…expensive…our total bill was $69 or 2640 B…excellent drink list…good service…res necessary…lounge/club attached…free entertainment each evening…dj with good tunes…projections on walls of animation…good for all ages…adults only—over 20 I think…Tel: 02-651-3537

Manohra---sunset cruise on the chao payra river…operated by the Marriott resort and spa hotel…one hour cruise up the river to memorial bridge and back at the time of sunset…lovely trip and chance to enjoy a cocktail…dinner cruises also available, however we consider the food storage and preparation on the edge…many other hotels also offer dinner cruises on the river…

Saladaeng Café—one of the Jim Thompson restaurants, also called JT Farmers Market…1 Saladaeng, soi 1, Silom….similar menu to other JT outlets…excellent place for lunch or dinner…sort of in back of the dusit thani hotel…near to the nite market..cheap to moderate…

Sky Bar…atop the State Building at the corner of Silom and New roads….64 floors up… an open air bar with an unparelled views of Bangkok and beyond…there are several other venues up there as well including the ultra expensive Sirocco restaurant….don’t go if it is going to rain…indoor and outdoor dining…2 beers at the bar are a whopping 610 B or $15….well worth a visit on a clear nite…we were there as a thunder storm approached and it was unbelievable…

I hope that this gives you some ideas on where to eat in Bangkok….it is one of the best eating cities on this globe….there are many, many more restaurants, but these are our favorites, and some not so favorites…bon appetite!! I will be updating this listing after my Fall, 2006 visit to Bangkok
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I have eaten at 6 of the most frequent;y mentioned restaurants for dinner. I must admit my wife nor I enjoyed our meal at the Bed Suipper Club. It is unusually, there are 2 on the same theme in the US,but we rasther sit at a comfirtable booth/table and have fine food, just our opinion.
One not mentioned and a surprise to me is the China House in the Oriental. It was fabulous if you want the best Peking Duck you have ever had. With sharing one appetizer, except the dumplings, and 1 desert you have more than enough for 2 adults. It is heavenly, having eaten it probably 20 times in the US and 2 times in hong Kong. The dining room in April was elegant and they were going to close for renovations to make it even nicer.It probab;ly re-opened 3 months ago, It is fine dining but the check will be $100USD tops with a glass of wine each. Unfortunately wine and liquor is 1/3rd more expensive than in major US cities because of high import duties. You can take $10 off the tab with one of the good beers each.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I second the vote for Peking Duck at China House as will many other Fodorites. Unfortunately I do not think it is expected to reopen until the middle of this month. The reason Bob did not include it on his list is that he has not been there - I believe he and Karen intend to go there when they return to Bangkok from India.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting his list and to all the people that emailed me his list.

I can't wait to try the restaurants out.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM

A local told me it the China House was re-opening Nov.17th but they could be worng. I would make it a MUST EAT if it is open when you are there. Probably a reservation 2 days in advance may be needed because of pent-up anticipation. It is that good.