Good Thai Food in Bangkok

Aug 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Good Thai Food in Bangkok

If only 1 night in Bangkok, where would you experts eat Thai food? Staying at The Peninsula b-4 heading to Samui but would like to venture out for a authentic Thai meal. Doesn't have to be fancy but want good service, good view, clean and most of all, great food. Price not an issue but convenience is. Have read many recommendations and I'm now totally confused and overwhelmed but the options. Can anyone narrow them down to a couple of really good choices? THANK YOU!!
Aug 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM

good service and "real" thai food or atleast what the locals is eat basicaly is non existant.. the routine is the same. the lady slaps the menue on your table stairs (sp) at you as you look at the menue. you order. then about 30 minuts too 45 minuts later you get your tastey meal. all while the watriss gives you the look of god I wish I were back upcontry sittng around looking at soaps..

the view is usually of a dog scraching itself and cars spewing black smoke

this is not only my perspective but also what my thai frainds and teachers. tell me jokingly.

don't minde me. if you go too a touristy place you'll get some good service. and "fantastic" views
Aug 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM

you only need to go about 50 feet...stay right at the penn and visit its new restaurant: Thalaythip...it is alfresco dining amidst sever thai style houses in the penn garden, next to the pool and the river...make a reservation and request one of the pavillions...
they have a la carte or 3 wonderful set meals...we had the 2200B set meal for 2...excellent variety and served beautifully...a very relaxing evening..

if you want to get out of the hotel then i might try harmonique on soi 34, new road---just a boat ride and short walk away from the penn...very reasonable, good food...we had two of our best meals in bkk there on my most recent trip...service is not fabulous, but the food is...

gpanda is away so i will speak for him...he would suggest the gallery cafe near to the sheraton orchid...

others would suggest lemongrass, but i have not liked it...you may...

i would stay right at the penn....the meal will meet and beat all of your criteria...

at samui try the terrace restaurant outside of chaewaeng beach on the main road heading south, and the five islands restaurant near to the le meredien hotel...
Aug 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM

you only need to go about 50 feet...stay right at the penn and visit its new restaurant: Thalaythip...it is alfresco dining amidst several thai style houses in the penn garden, next to the pool and the river...make a reservation and request one of the pavillions...
they have an a la carte or 3 wonderful set meal menus...we had the 2200B set meal for 2...excellent variety and served beautifully...a very relaxing evening..

if you want to get out of the hotel then i might try harmonique on soi 34 (36), new road/next to the post office---just a boat ride and short walk away from the penn...very reasonable, good food...we had two of our best meals in bkk there on my most recent trip...service is not fabulous, but the food is...

gpanda is away so i will speak for him...he would suggest the gallery cafe near to the sheraton orchid...

others would suggest lemongrass, but i have not liked it...you may...

i would stay right at the penn....the meal will meet and beat all of your criteria...

at samui try the terrace restaurant outside of chaewaeng beach on the main road heading south, and the five islands restaurant near to the le meredien hotel...
Aug 12th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Celadon restaurant at the Sukothai is a wonderful and small. And Thanying Thai restaurant...two locations...one in the World Trade Center building and the other in a free-standing Thai house not far from Silom area. I've eaten at Thanying in both Singapore and Bangkok and love the food there.The chef of one of the ones in Singapore,reportedly cooked for the Thai royal court. It's classical Thai style cooking. Happy Travels!
Aug 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM

There is also a lovely Thai restaurant in the Sheraton Royal Orchid with a great view and lovely service. It's just a boat ride away from the Pen.
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM

kathie--i hope you will try that new penn restaurant when you are next in bkk....bob
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:53 PM

kathie---have you also been following the following...its great about bali

www.themurdochs.blogspot.com
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM

If you want to leave the Penn but not go far you could also go to the thai restaurant (Sala Rim) across from the Oriental -- so on your side of the river. Don't go inside unless you want a show. Outside is lovely and the food is good. They also have a wonderful thai buffet during lunch. But if you want to stay put, the Penn restaurant is also wonderful -- better,I think, than Celadon which I found a bit bland and the atmosphere a bit sterile (albeit lovely).
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM

i think orgy7 hit it on the head. sounds like a place for me, and make it thai hot!
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Bob, the new place at the Pen sounds great. I've put it on my list for next trip. That's a ways off, though. November trip is to Singapore and Indonesia.
Aug 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM

I'll be very honest with you elvis-people here have mentioned a number of BKK restaurants, I've eaten in some of them, and they were okay to good-but I thought when I reached BKK that there was going to be any number of FAB Thai food restaurants(like there are everywhere else in the world-Keo's in Oahu being my favorite)

But guess what? There isn't!

I hate to say it, but orgy7's graphic description of a place with "authentic" Thai food with, and I quote:

"a view usually of a dog scratching itself and cars spewing black smoke."

-is far more accurate than you might at first believe!

Aug 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM

and orgy7-I confess to being curious-just exactly what is it that you DO in Bangkok??? obviously, you don't have to answer if you don't want to!
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Cheap street food as Orgy has mentioned, hotel restaurants and Thai restaurants outside of Thailand(Keo, Blue Elephants, Chandara etc) are not really classical Thai food.

I'm afraid that the real gourmet Thai food are mostly found in the homes of blue blooded Thais. Thailand has been a Kingdom for a long.. time and this was where most of the really good Thai food were developed. I've seen friends and relatives work their butts off in the Kitchen for hours cooking just one meal and the result was well worth it.

Aug 13th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Spy. right now Im studying thai. (with my spelling I probably should continue studying english)..

hanuman... I live and eat around soi Rangnam and victory monument.. (if your from BKK you maybe know it's known for having good local food.

I'm with ya hanuman.. the food I eat is mostly "regular joe"/pesent food.. but I do occasianaly eat the "blue blood" stuff.. rarely though... but you may agree that food cooked at home by frainds and frands family is almost always Great if cooked in a penthouse on sukunvit or a village in Roi et.
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:30 PM

Orgy - don't get me wrong I enjoy "Som Tum" sold by an old woman right outside my house as much as I do enjoy the finer stuff.
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Well, orgy7, I hope you can put your knowledge of Thai to good use, should you ever decide to leave!

And Hanuman-what restaurants would you recommend in BKK, since you are apparently a local?
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Spygirl,

What the typical tourist or non Thai like is very different from what I like.

For the tourist I would say Bussaracum restaurant on Soi Convent offer pretty authentic and good food(not so spicy for the tourist) in a nice atmosphere. Also "The Face" on Sukhumvit Soi 38(they have two section here - Thai and Indian food) have Thai style decorations, antiques and architecture with a modern touch. The restaurant, seem very popular with the tourist and expat. I didn't enjoy the food that much but I think the typical tourist will like it.
Aug 14th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Thanks, Hanuman, but I like it fairly hot and spicy, partic. with Thai curries! Hopefully, the restaurants you suggested will also prepare authentically hot Thai dishes as well.
Aug 14th, 2004, 09:54 PM

LOL. yes a good sign that a resteraunt may be a bit more upscale is that it does have a face and atleast one door.

I checked out some menues and recapies. and I am ashamed too admit that I've been eating the high end stuff all along. I just forget that paying 80 baht per dish is kind of a lot for the avrage thai... I am just not paying for the ambiance and some upgraded ingredience shippid in from some european contry too make it sound tastier then it is...

strangly enough black canyon coffee shop chain, has pritty good "Fussion thai food" and I found it too be a verry good value.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO