good restaurants in bkk

Oct 10th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

good restaurants in bkk

We can read the guidebooks, but we're looking for spots that might not be on the "hit list" but are in fact more interesting and less crowded with Americans who read Frommmers and Fodors. We need a range (less expensive for some dinners....a blow-out for Thanksgiving Day dinner ...(no turkey, please.) We're staying on the River, but obviously can get around anywhere if it's worth the trip.
Thanks for the input.
Joyce
Oct 10th, 2003, 11:15 AM

i'm a broken record so here we go again with our favorites:

jesters in the peninsula for expensive botique meals
lord jim in the oriental for the luncheon buffet
harmonique for moderate priced thai food (ask to go in one of the a/c rooms--there are 2), soi 34 off new road between the oriental and shangra-la hotels
biscotti in the regent hotel--modern italien food, moderately expensive, good lunch or dinner
spice market in the regent also--good thai in casual atmosphere
senses in gayshorn plaza, 2nd floor---have only had lunch there, excellent
on soi 12, sukumvit road: crepes and co---absolutely delicious for any meal: B, L, or D or just for dessert, relaxed atmosphere inside and out
and next door the famous cabbages and condoms---we thought it was only so, so, but others love it...reasonable and a good cause---great gift shops---condoms in styles you never knew existed
gourmet gallery-- off a soi which begins with a "P", which is off of soi 39, sukumvit road....continental food and american style...great steaks and the best onion soup (an absolute must!!!!) i've ever had---get the one with the hat...fabulous desserts..call for directions if you need them...located behind another store...owner is a lovely woman--we went 3 times on our last trip....
the thai restaurant with the green awnings on the ground level of the bangkok marriott resort and spa mini-mall---on the right as you enter from the street, diagonal from swenson's ice cream--very cheap very good...lots of thais eat there....$12-15 with beer for dinner for 2....
any of the restaurants in the jw marriott...
can't suggest a thanksgiving alternative---can you give me one for my dinner in prague that day???
Oct 10th, 2003, 11:17 AM

i forgot to add the restaurants (3) in the rembrandt hotel: indian (fabulous sunday buffet--need reservation), the mexican and the italien....soi 18, sukumvit road...we like them all...how about mexican for thanksgiving...just kidding
Oct 10th, 2003, 11:45 AM

Let me agree with Bob on Harmonique, and add Lemongrass, which is on a soi off Sukumvit. For an unusual Thai "buffet" try the order from the menu buffet at the Thai restaurant located in the Hyatt. You can order as many dishes as you want off a menu, and they are individually prepared for you and brought to your table.

A very special Thai restaurant is the one located in the Sheraton Royal Orchid - sorry, the name is something like Tara Tharong - it's beautiful and the food is amazing. (more expensive than the other places I've listed)
Oct 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM

The fantastic food and the gorgeous setting of the Thai restaurant in the Sheraton Royal Orchid was truly a wonderful experience. So good that we ate their twice.

The price was not so bad. Maybe as New York City residents we are just used to high prices.

Have a wonderful time. I loved Bangkok.
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:28 PM

We went to:

Anna's Cafe - Thai/modern western - rich Thai yuppies, quite upmarket
Ryn's Cafe and Bed - Thai/modern western, food was fantastic!
Mrs Balbir's - Indian, absolutely superb!
Indian Hut - Indian, full of Indians, very nice decor
Duilio's - Italian, very romantic with outside patio and string lighting

Oct 10th, 2003, 02:59 PM

We went to the following places that we enjoyed:
Somboon Seafood- great, fresh seafood, curry crab was good but get a large even for a small party
Supatra Riverhouse- good food (get the grilled river prawns) with a view on river but pricey and touristy, "nicer" restaurant.
Ar Chew- "hole in the wall" in chinatown for shark's fin & bird's nest
Yok Yor- casual & on the river, good seafood, (more local), lively atmosphere, has bar & dancing
Cabbages & Condoms- touristy, ok food, but fun to check it out.
Oct 11th, 2003, 07:48 AM

The Bed restaurant. Definitely different! Great food.
Oct 11th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Dear Luv2fly and everyone else who answered...we have the list written down and will try as many spots as 7 days allows. Any other Bangkok "hot tips" will be much appreciated. We have been to Bangkok once before, and visited the top sites listed in Frommers and Fodors.... so we are now looking forward to peeling back our second layer of getting to know the city.
Oct 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM

buy yourself a luxe guide. either from www.luxecityguides.com on the net or as soon as you reach go to the Peninsula Hotel and pick one up from their book shop. best 320 baht I spent. Lots of off beat suggestions.