Tokyo Honeymoon

Nov 20th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Tokyo Honeymoon

Most people give me this look that says those two words are an oxymoron, but my fiance and I are very excited to spend a week in Hawaii and a week in Tokyo next April for our honeymoon. Other than seeing the cherry blossoms, any suggestions? Special restaurants, areas of town, attractions would be great, particularly if not widely known. We are staying at the Peninsula Hotel (still hold reservations at the Four Seasons Chinzan-So, but most people seem to think its too far out of the city) Thanks!!
Nov 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM

rachel, did you ever find the posting I referred you to on your earlier post?
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM

rachel,

Why don't you stay in both the FS and the Pen(3d & 4d) and tell us about it when you return

Here is the link to Larry's trip report

http://tinyurl.com/34duns

Aloha!
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM

OK, Hawaiian, I knew you were good, but how did you do that with the link? Sorry, Rachel, if I butt in on this site, but Hawaiian is one of the most knoledgeable posters around and maybe some of us can learn from him. Larry
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Lol, thanks Larry but you give me way too much praise. It is very easy to do.

Find the web page that you want to link to and copy the web address by right clicking your mouse over the address bar and select copy. You then go to your post and right click on the area where you want to post that link. Options will show up when you right click and you pick the paste option. The link will then be pasted on to your post. Sounds more complicated than it really is and I bet some other Fodorite can explain it better than I.

Aloha!
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM

Japan is awesome. Stay in Tokyo it's the perfect place start off.

Try this site it gives some ideas about places to see and I think they visited Japan for their honeymoon too.
http://japantravel.jopin.com/
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Larry - Yes I did find yours! Thanks The idea of staying at both is actually not a bad idea...my only concern is we already have so much travelling on this trip that it might be nice to 'park' in just one place at each destination.

Hawaiian - are you from HI? Can you give advice on Kauai?? Staying at Grand Hyatt there.

And thanks ctry for the link, that is great! Most people I know who have been to Tokyo have been there for business so not quite the same trip.
Nov 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM

rachel,

Yes I am from HI. We love the Hyatt in Kauai and for your honeymoon you will too.
Monk seals come up on the beach and bathe in the rising sun most mornings. Beautiful resort with a fabulous pool(s). I have bumped into Arnold & Maria with children in the pools along with a very hairy Robin Williams.

We also like the Princeville Resort but I do prefer the Hyatt.

Of course don't miss Waimea Canyon. I like to get there early in the morning.

The Spouting Horn

Hanalei Bay and the Na Pali coast are also a must see. Drive as far as you can down the road past Hanalei if you want to see some of the old Kauai.

Eat "saimin" at Hamura's Saimin stand in Lihue.

There is an Italian restaurant in the Hyatt, Donderos, is very good. The Tidepools restaurant also has good seafood dishes. There is a Roy's Restaurant which is very good a mile or so down the road and Brenneke's Restaurant is a local favorite is around the corner.

Kauai is the island to just kick back and relax and you have picked the perfect hotel to do that in. You could really just stay at the Hyatt and not leave, it is that all encompassing. Enjoy!

Aloha!
Nov 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM

just a word of caution, do not touch the monk seals, you might land in jail, and that might ruin your honeymoon.
Nov 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Hawaiian - thanks sooo much for great advice! We have been told about Dondero's and Tidepools but nothing else on your list so now we have a start of our itinerary The Kauai portion of our trip is right after the wedding, so it will definitely be to relax and I can't wait. I have been to Oahu before, in the Waikiki area, but I hear its very different.

And so noted not to touch seals - jail would CERTAINLY ruin honeymoon
Nov 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Agreed with the advice given above about Kauaii. Also: if you do a search on Kauai on the Fodors website, look for advice from AuntyAnne (or something like that.) Aunty is a resident of Kauai, and has very helpful advice.

We've spent time both on the north shore (Hanelai Bay Resort, near the Princeville) and the south shore (the Hyatt.) WE enjoyed both, but like any pace, there are advantages and disadvantages to any stay. There are numerous posts about these hotels here and on tripadvisor.com.

If you're on the north shore, stop at the Hanelai Bay's "Happy Talk" lounge. The Princeville is lovely, but the HT lounge is a nice laid-back experience.
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

wow - definitely no touching the seals! we definitely plan to drive also to the north part of the island - a friend suggested maybe a drink or dinner at the princeville just to see what its like. i actually could have booked it for not much more than the hyatt, but am told its the rainier side of the island? not sure but didn't want to risk bad weather in april. thanks!