Go Salons in Tokyo

Apr 20th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Go Salons in Tokyo

We are trying to get the Asia Getaway fare to Tokyo to take a spur-of-the-moment trip. Our son, aged 13, is an avid player of Go. Where in Tokyo would he be welcomed as a 13KYU player and young teenager?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:23 AM
emd

kswl: see my message under your other post.
You might also try posting this question on the forum at www.japan-guide.com
There are young people who live in Tokyo there who might be able to help.
Also, I just thought of another option. I had a very good response from emailing the Tokyo Tourist Information office. I hooked up w/a young lady there who went out of her way to get me info on timing of a fesitival, sent me maps, etc. Let me dig out the email address for that TIC and you can shoot them an email and ask this- info like this it is the kind of thing they do well. I'll post the address as soon as I can find it.
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:31 AM
emd

ok, here's the email address for the Tokyo Tourist Info Center:

[email protected]

Between the Japan-America Society and this TIC you should get help on this. GO is a big deal; my son was surprised I had not heard of it, he also knows all about it...
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! I will email them for information now. We are now thinking we should just go straight to Tokyo and not even attempt to find accomodation in Nagoya. I spoke to a JBT usa agent in New York (to get the booking details for the Ghibli museum --thanks to another poster on my other request for information---) and she quoted us hotel prices of $200 to $300 per night in and around Nagoya. Ouch!
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:14 AM
emd

can you get in to the Ghibli?
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

They are faxing a request form for tickets to my husband's office. But of course they would like to arrange the rest of the trip, as well, and their price for hotels is very high. This is what I am thinking about:
Arrive Nagoya: April 28
Stay 2 nights (must find hotel, probably through JBT), see castle, attend Expo

Train to Tokyo: April 30
Stay at hotel through May 6th

Train from Tokyo May 6th back to Central Airport (flight leaves at 3:30 pm)

We could use Tokyo as a base and do day trips, rather than trying to arrange hotels every few nights. Also, the probability of finding Go players seems better in Tokyo. And of course we could see the Ghibli Museum.

Spirited Away is one of Skip's favorite movies, and I am fond of it, too. I think he would love to see that museum!

Search this Thread