Tibetian Items in Bangkok?

Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Tibetian Items in Bangkok?

I know there is a place in River City that specializes in Tibetian items. I'm wondering whether any of you have other recommendations on where to look.

My house was broken into this summer and the thief made off with a couple of lovely items from Tibet that I had purchased in Patan, Nepal, more than 10 years ago, including a lovely and very ornate Tibetan Prayer Wheel (how's that for bad karma - stealing a prayer wheel!). I want to look and see whether I can find simliar items in Bangkok. And of course, my insurance company would prefer that I find items in Bangkok where they will be much cheaper than here in the US.
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:29 AM

I think there is also a place in Oriental Place that you can check out.e
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gloria, I wondered if Oriental Place might have a shop like that.
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Kathie, I have found some Tibetian stuff on line. I also found some prayer flags in an Asian store near my home and noticed that they sometimes have prayer wheels as well. Not as much fun as buying them closer to the source but worth keeping in mind. I love the prayer wheel I got in Nepal and you are right about the thiefs karma!!
Happy shopping!
J
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jules. All the stuff I've seen online was clearly not the quality I was looking for (and, of course, it's hard to tell quality online). I'm really hoping I can find some comperable items in Bangkok, though I'd prefer to buy in Nepal or Tibet, of course...
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Perhaps you can convince your insurance company that it would be cheaper for them to pay for a trip for you to replace the items, than to buy them in the US?
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

cruisin, you'll laugh, but I actually broached the subject with them. They were not receptive (lol!).
Oct 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Kathie it didn't hurt to ask your ins compamy who knows you may have got a big surprise! Yes it certainly is more fun buying them in Nepal or Tibet and Thailand will feel that mucg closer. I agree it is hard to see what you are getting on line and I have never seen a wheel like mine localy but I imagine they are available in some parts of the country. I didn't get mine until my 5th visit to Nepal. After saying after the previous 4 visits "I should have..." that time I just did it and got a few smaller ones for family as well.

J
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Just a thought, but the most 'Tibetan' items I've ever seen was at the Doi Pui village near Chiang Mai. Yes, it's touristy, and last time I went the road still wasn't paved all the way, but nothing deters a real power shopper!
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Kathie, how sad re your burglary. Can imagine how you feel - is as much the sentiment and memories attached to purchases as the value. I have heard very good things about thie new shop Amantee which specializes in Tibetan stuff (tho I could not make it on my last trip top Bangkok) and it is also recoed in my shopping Bible, the Luxe guide so may be worth a dekko. The url has a write up plus address details :

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/week..._15146526.html
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Michael, thanks for the suggestion, but I won't be in CM this trip.

Hobbes, you are so right. The objects hold the memories of that trip. I saw this shop recommendation in the Luxe guide and have put it on my list - have you been there?
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Kathie when is your trip? I will be interested to know what you find in BKK. We will be there in Feb and if you find somewhere interesting I will probably like to check it out.

Thanks

J
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

My trip is Nov. 12 - Dec. 2. I'll be in Bangkok at the beginning and endd and in Borneo in the middle.

I'll be glad to report back on what I find.