Terror attacks elswhere in Asia?

Oct 4th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Terror attacks elswhere in Asia?

Apparently even the normally up-beat Thai tourism minister is considered about attacks in Thailand, in light of the Bali bombings. Security is being stepped up in Phuket, etc. Here is an article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9552880/

Unfortunately, I think many people are now just more aware of the perceived risk in Bali. If they change their travel plans to Malyasia, the Philippines or southern Thailand risk from terrorists is still there, if not as apparent.
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

concerned, not considered...sorry
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Like what I said in the other thread on the Bali bombings, one has to understand that killing western tourists is not the goal of the terrorists that has bombed Bali and Jakata in the last few years. These are Islam fundamentalists that has a goal of toppling the Jakata government and turn Indonesia (or part of it) into a strict Islamic country.

Bali attracts lots of tourists and their money. Scaring away tourists will further weaken the Jakata government. That's what they're doing. Many of these terrorists are actually based in Malaysia. But you won't find them bombing in Kuala Lumpur. I'm sure they can find a few dozens Westerners to kill at a hotel/restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, if they want to. But that won't do them any good as the Malaysian government will not tolerate that.

In Thailand, the muslim separatists are relatively weak and they really can't operate far from their bases in extreme Southern Thailand.

So, situation is different from country to country.
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM

I don't agree, rkkwan.

I believe tourists are targets. We are targets because our (Australia's)government is an ally of the U.S. and Al Qaeda has made it a no 1 priority to target U.S. allies either on their own soil, in countries where the U.S. is active or at places where US and allied citizens holiday or do business.

If the Government of Indonesia "took no prisoners", like Taksin Shinawatra of Thailand, then the terrorists would not be tolerated, by anyone. They are tolerated by the Indonesian Govt. right now.

Why do terrorists attack cities like London & New York. Not to topple the Government! But to create fear. I'm not afraid, I'm disgusted!
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:07 PM

Yes, we tourists are targets in Indonesia. I totally agree. I don't know what you're disagreeing with me about.

I'm saying that situations are different from country to country. One cannot say since they'll target us anywhere, then it's no difference between Bali and, say, Beijing.

That's my point. In response to the OP, yes, there's risk in southern Thailand, some parts of the Philippines, but very low risk in Malaysia.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:42 PM

When I read the first paragraph of your post it appeared to me that you were saying tourists are not targets. Anyway let's agree or disagree. I'm so over all the bad news nowadays, I'm going get a champagne!
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM

sorry rkkwan,

I dont mean to be ignorant however, why is there a low risk in malaysia ... they seem 2 believe bali bomb makers were Malaysian personally i have ejoyed trips 2 malaysia however am skeptical of returning due to potential threats
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Col86 - The goal of all the Indonesian bombings in the last several years is to create a strict Islamic state in Indonesia, or break away part of Indonesia and set up an Islamtic state there.

Malaysia is a stable country with a relatively strong government/military. Those radical Islamists will do themselves no good killing westerners in Malaysia.