28 days in Thailand then 28 in Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Thailand and Bali next year and at present have 28 days in each, do you think this is enough, we can extend this to 60 days but are not sure if we should.
We are flying into singapore and travelling to Thailand, any suggestions on how to get there would also be great?!
thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:35 AM

I would venture to say that 99% of the people on this forum (Bangkok Bob being the exception) do not have the luxury of spending 28 days on vacaton period let alone 28 in Thailand and then 28 in Bali- this is another no brainer my friends- of course its enough!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks BillT but there is no need to be so rude. we are going backpacking and want to see as much as possible. so in future maybe you should keep your rude jealous feeling to yourself
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Rob49- come on, don't be so thin skinned- look at your question again- Is 28 days enough? Maybe you should be a bit more specific- say that you are backpacking through these countries and want specific advice on where to go, stay and give a price range. Then you will get specific advice. While there are some backpackers on this forum- you may want to check out lonelyplanet.com.
Loosen up- I was having some fun with you! And yes we would all like to be able to spend that much time touring- but my remarks were not born out of jealousy- its just one of those questions that begs a funny response!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:02 AM

While I could easily spend 28 days (and more) in Thailand with side trips to Cambodia and Laos, I think 28 days in Bali alone is WAY too much. Side trips from Bali to central Java and perhaps Lombok could take up some of your time. Personally, I'd re-balance it and make it 6 weeks in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and two weeks in Bali. Bali is lovely, but it's a small islalnd.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:05 AM

I will admit I'd love to have 28 days in Thailand. I never can manage more than 3 weeks max due to running a family business and having to be home for certain things at least once a month. That said, I could easily spend 28 days in Thailand. There are many places I've not see yet.

I have not been to Bali so will not comment on that.

Have fun planning your trip. I hope you enjoy SE Asia as much as I do!

Carol
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I agree with Kathie - two weeks in Bali is enough, 2-1/2 maybe if you include Lombok. That leaves plenty of time for Thailand plus Cambodia, Laos side trips. We have never had more than 2 weeks for any trip. BillT's recommendation to check out www.lonelyplanet.com is probably the best advice so far on this thread.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:07 AM

It's great that you have so much time. I used to spend 11 weeks in Europe every summer during the first decade of traveling/vacationing to/in Europe and then about 3 weeks a summer during the second decade and it was wonderful to have a real,relaxing vacation. As for 28 days in Bali, that's way too many. I'd say two weeks maximum. And since you are in the region, just do a lot of countries and area. I would extend your vacation to the maximum amount of time...the 60 days. You could rent an apartmnet while in Bangkok. I have a book that lists apartments for $400-$500 a month or you can go on moveandstay.com and rent from them (they have more expensive apartments)...by the week/month or sometimes by the day depending on the building. If you'd like the name of the book, let me know.It's at home. Plus, moveandstay.com has apartments all over the region. As for someone mentioning that you are backpackers, well I didn't get that from your original post. As I stated above, I used to spend 11 weeks abroad per summer and I have NEVER been a backpacker...We need more specifics in your post in order to help you out and it would be nice to know your age range and your budget range. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Guenmai- you are one of the lucky 1%!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Guenmai- from his second post you will see that he is a backpacker- thats why I suggested Lonelyplanet.com- it may have more specific info pertaining to his budget and interests. This is not the best forum for the backpacker. (no slight intended its just that this forum caters to a different- not better- form of traveler.)
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:47 AM

jeez if billT'S comment was rude.. Then how visious are the non scense remarks I make daily on this forum ...

anyways I've baqckpacked around asia for 90 days from japan too balii.. as a fellow formaer backpacker I'd say don't over plan go with the flow you always find yourself being invited too go someplace.. remeber the region if full of budget airlines so most off your long hall trips will cost less then $100.

. I Stayed in Bali for a week in a place that was relatively expensive for the packpacker crowd $15 per night but it had two big swimming pools and was near kuta beach.. Bali is a good place too crash when your on a tight budget but it can get pretty lame quick.. unless your into surfing and the beach....

on that same trip I stayed 30 days in a serviced apartment in bangkok wich cost4 $210 a month.. bkk is a big crazy city so there was always something going on..
------------
well I guess I enjoyed my trip too much beouse I'm going on my third year of living in bangkok
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Orgy7 - don't worry this person is new to the forum and was not quite attuned to our form of reparte!!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Bill-Thanks...Now I see the second post. I have to speed read through these posts while multi-tasking.I had missed the second one. Posters should put this kind of stuff in their original posts.Happy Travels!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Rob49...Lighten up. Bill and Orgy are harmless...it's their sense of humor. Now if you want to experience REAL rudeness and hostility,and a lot of "FLIP" attitude... then post on lonelyplanet.com. Fodors.com is a VERY friendly and INCREDIBLY helpful place. People take a LOT of their...VALUABLE... time to regularly answer people's questions... and down right plan people's trip down to the last detail...day in and day out.So this is not the place to burn one's britches. Welcome aboard...newbie!Happy Travels!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 08:37 PM

off the top of my head i would cut bali back to 14, and increase thailand or put some malaysia in the middle..
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM

rob, I personally could fill up 28 (or 30) days in Bali easily, but really, it depends what your interests are -- e.g., treking, adventure, culture, religion, or just hanging out on the beach. Bali is as developed or underdeveloped as you want it to be. You can find what you're looking for if you get off the beaten track.

I would definitely second the idea of a side trip to Eastern and Central Java, especially to Borobudur and the Yogyakarta area.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Not all the forums on fodors are all that friendly as this one is. Go to the Europe forum and read a bit!!! I do post there, once in a while, but YIKES they get testy sometimes. IMHO
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Carol...I post in the Europe forum,too. Fodors, over all, is WAY friendlier than lonelyplanet.com. I was on lonelyplanet.com as a regular for quite a while before jumping ship and coming over here. I still check it from time-to-time, but basically got fed up with it. Others I know have commented the same. Happy Travels!