Phuket/Phi Phi help

Search

Phuket/Phi Phi help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket/Phi Phi help

hello, struggling to finalize 4 nights in Phuket. Originally I had it down to 2 hotels, but then I saw the Phi Phi Village website, and it looks so beautiful! Is it sensible to do 2 nites in Phuket and 2 in Phi Phi Village.. (or perhaps 3 in phu and 1 in phi phi)? What hotel would be a good complement to the phi phi experience: Mom Tri Boat house (Villa Royale has some specials but still over $300p/night), Kata Thani or Le Royal Meridien? We want affordable luxury ($200 p.night) but not too touristy or isolated. Do I sound confused? thx!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM

2 nites each place is a bit hurried...but it can be done...we originally had 4 nites scheduled in phuket but ended up extending the phi phi island village stay as long as possible. it is paradise...secluded, quiet, good food, deserted beaches...great pool...

i cannot imagine spending that much money on a room at mom tri...it looked very nice there (we had dinner there) but its not that nice...find a resort on phuket in your budget...there are many many places to choose from and your fellow fodorites will help with their suggestions.

confused??/ no ...its just a bit overwhelming with so many places we all want to see and so little time///
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks diva! we decided on Kana Thani...which might not be top of the line but more in our budget and we will opt for the junior suite. I hope it is a suitable place for a couple. We will be there 2 nights and then off to Phi Phi Village for 2 nites before returning to Bangkok. I am SO excited for Phi Phi Village, I think it'll be a nice balance to Kata. One ques (and it's probably dumb), the bungalows are airconditioned, right? Are mosquitoes a prob? (ok, that was 2 ques)..thank u
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:38 PM

jacqui...when are you going?? i really want to hear about your comments on phi phi, phuket and the resorts.

i wish i was going too.....
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

diva- we are going jan 20-24 (phuket/phi phi)..can't wait! Reading your posts, it makes me wonder if we should do one night phuket and 3 in phi phi village! Did you make reservations straight through the resort's website? I've been curious what the diff is b/ween single bungalow, double/twin bungalow..
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM

Single is for one person, double/twin is for two people.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM

we actually made our reservations when we were in phuket...i wanted to leave and the weather was good so off we went to phi phi. the bungalows are all great...the farther back from the ocean , the cheaper...but all the bungalows are very nice. queen beds that were comfortable, bathrooms with showers (the water is a bit brackish but my hair loved the saltyness), sitting areas...satelite tv...a/c
big porches...

kimjapan is correct...single = one person,
twin = two...

it depends on what experience you are looking for as to which place is best for you.
we live on an island, have beautiful scenery out my living room window...and i work with tourists all day...so i wanted to get away from everyone...and the island village report was perfect. i loved the breakfast buffet...all the restaurants on property were affordable and great food. we were there on halloween and the staff had a party for the guests..pretty funny...and the pool was wonderful....the beaches were empty of people except during low tide when people would walk out onto the sand to look for shells...

walk to the other side of the island, there is a secluded bay behind the resort...follow the signs...

i could easily have spent my entire holiday there...i surely believe you will enjoy your time there
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:34 PM

While researching Phi Phi village I came across comments that the place was great but mosquitos could be a problem. They recommended to bring a good repellent.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 08:16 PM

jacqui72 - katathani junior suites are very nice and the kata and kata noi beach are more secluded than some of the more touristy beaches north of there. i found it lovely. we stayed on karon and i which we would have stayed on kata.
i highly recommend (and i mean it's a must do!) the john gray starlight tour from phuket. it was a highlight of our time there. the beauty and experience, just spectacular!
if it is mosquito season and you are not in the city you will need mosquito repellant regardless of being on phi phi or phuket!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks hipvirgo chick! We're going to phi phi village island for 2 nights after kata thani--do you still recommend the starlight tour? sooo excited for it all!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM

when we were in phi phi, we didn't find many mosquitos there (so probably not mosquito season) but we did find we got bitten lots on our ankles and feet on the beach in the evening.

I had a really bad reaction to the bites which I don't normally get with mosquito bites. We think they were sand flies - so make sure that you puts lots if insect repellant on your legs, feet, ankles etc if on the beach in the evening.

My travel doctor told me that sand flies are sometimes called no-see-ums - as you rarely see them - but that they tend to be around (and biting) at night once the wind has dropped down on the beach. They can carry a disease called Leishmaniasis and also you can get a bad reaction from the toxins in the bites alone. So...another good reason to use insect repellant, cover up etc. He also added that although the odds of getting leishmaniasis are probably too small to allow it to influence travel plans, the consequences of infection are unpleasant so it is best to take aggressive steps to avoid becoming the main course for a family of hungry no-see-ums...

BB
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM

jacqui72 - Yes! I still say go for the Starlight Tour. The staff is awesome and they make wonderful lunch and dinner on board, in the meantime you get to kayak through the caves and hongs in the most beautiful Pang Nna bay with huge limestone formations jutting out of ocean. Once you travel through the caves you come out into a surreal abundance of nature inside the hongs (hollow like volcanoes). We had probably 30 sea eagles following us off the boats as they threw chicken skin up into the air and they caught in flight just a few feet away from out boat. We even spotted a pair of Hornbills. At night when you go back into the caves it's eerie and the phosphorus on the sides sparkles, kind of glowing. I was a little afraid being claustrophobic, there are a couple of areas in the caves where you have to lie down to squeeze through! If you go, ask them to paddle you to the Ranger Station. It's a little hut where fishermen stay and put coins in the jar on honesty. There are two house dogs that roam free there and are fed by John Gray and others. Can you tell we had a good time? Go!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Oh, another wonderful time on Phuket was the Simon Caberet. It's wonderful "ladyboy" show and definitely one worth seeing while you're in Thailand. We didn't go to "Phuket Fantasia", which some people enjoy as well.