Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Multiple entry visa for US citizens to Thailand

Multiple entry visa for US citizens to Thailand

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 05:09 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple entry visa for US citizens to Thailand

Do US Citizens need multiple entry visa for Thailand.

Our current tentative itinerary is:

Bangkok- Cambodia- Phuket- Bangkok.

Please let us know.

Thanks..Overall travel is less than 2 weeks
joesatish is offline  
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 34,104
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should put this in the Asia forum
Christina is offline  
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 78,322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just call or email the Thai Consulate in DC or other city - the definitive source. Period.
PalenQ is offline  
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Forum Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 874
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a US citizen, you are entitled to 28 days visa-free entry each time you enter Thailand by air. You may be asked to show your return ticket when you get stamped into Thailand by Passport Control. If you were going in and out of Thailand a number of times in a few months, there are some other rules to be aware of, but for your trip, you will be fine. Do be aware that to enter Cambodia, you will need two blank facing pages in your passport. Also, make sure your passport is valid for 6 months beyond your anticipated departure from Thailand and Cambodia.
Moderator2 is offline  
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 550
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With US passport and total time in Thailand each time under 30 days you should not need any tourist visa you pay for.

Leaving the US with a round trip plane ticket or with a flight departing Thailand before 30 days is up you can enter with a free Visa Exemption stamp you get at the airport in Bangkok. When you leave Thailand for Cambodia your passport is stamped out at immigration. When you return for the trip to Phuket you qualify for another free 30 days Visa Exemption stamp when you enter Thailand again. Flying Phuket to Bangkok is internal. You still have the flight home from Bangkok.

Departing for Thailand some airports have been cracking down on entering Thailand on one way flights. Thailand does require proof of onward travel if you enter with the free Visa Exemption stamp.

Note the cash requirement on the above link. When you bring US dollars for Thailand bring the newer big head 100 dollar bills. No marks or tears on them, no dirt or stains. Bangkok has a second airport besides Suvarnabhumi. Don Muang also has flights to nearby countries and within Thailand. So know which airport your flight to Cambodia leaves from. (Do NOT rely on a single debit card for traveling money. Have back up sources of spending money.)

From Suvarnabhumi there is a pretty good train service. The Airport Rail Link connects with the Skytrain and a subway. But not available after midnight.
UrbanRail.Net > Asia > Thailand > Bangkok Metro

You can change a little USD the airport to pay for taxi or other transportation. Maybe a hundred bucks. Many tourists claim you will get more in the city area but, my opinion, unless you change a huge amount the difference is not that great. Rates are not fixed and can change a little bit each day. When you leave Thailand you will be able to unload your leftover Thai baht at the airport.

Check with the nearest Thai embassy or consulate for up to date information.


For Cambodia I had US dollars with me. But that was several years ago. Do NOT leave Cambodia with their currency because hard to unload in another country. You will need a little bit of Cambodian money anyway so you don't pay a dollar for a ten cent item.

Check your current visa requirements for Cambodia. (Google search, contact Cambodian embassy, etc.) I think there are some photo requirements and a small fee.)

Good luck.
SirHalberd is offline  
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those on USA passports entering Thailand get 30 days (Free) without a visa - just get stamped in at the airport/border.

You can do this pretty much as often as you want if flying.
Overland crossings are limited to 2 per calendar year.

Youll need a VoA for Cambodia or get one in advance
cowslip is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Feb 11th, 2017 02:35 AM
Aug 15th, 2016 07:25 AM
Air Travel
Aug 21st, 2009 04:34 PM
Jul 12th, 2006 07:52 PM
Apr 13th, 2005 06:54 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:09 PM.