Travel requirements for Thailand

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Travel requirements for Thailand

I received the following message from Delta Airlines: "A travel visa is required for your upcoming international trip. CIBT, the global visa and passport professionals, can help you get the visa and passport required for your trip. CIBT is the largest visa and passport company and has been assisting travelers for over 20 years. With CIBT, get the documents you need when you want them -- often in as little as a day."

I have a valid U.S. Passport which expires on December of 2010. I booked the flight with Delta, but will fly from PBI to Atlanta and then use Korean Airlines from Atlanta to Bangkok.

Everyone tells me that I do not need a VISA. So why was I sent this message? I'm getting t he idea that Delta gave my E-Mail to a company so they could make some $$$.

Anyone been to Thailand?
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM

The best place to get accurate info is the Thai embassy or their website.

When I went to Thailand last year, no visa required.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM

The following is what airlines use to "check documents" before they issue a BP. Since the airlines are responsible and liable if the passenger(s) arrive without the required papers they they it very seriously. They can be fined many thousands of dollars for each passenger that arrived in the country without proper documents.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...t_information/

AFAIK, you don't need a visa for Thailand unless you plan on staying for more than 30 days.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. I think the word "required" is a little strong here. For my 16 day trip, I should be OK with just a Passport.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM

I fly to Bangkok all the time (just got back two days ago). You are automatically issued a visa good for 30 days when you present your American passport at immigration in Bangkok.

I'd be unhappy with Delta for giving out your email. Someone wants to make a buck on unsuspecting travellers!!!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM

I got a similar message from Delta (appropriate, for my China trip in a few weeks). They do it as a service (although they probably make a commission) but do not give the agency your email address.