One way to BKK?

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

One way to BKK?

I plan on traveling one wat to Bangkok in June, and traveling around Asia/Australia from there with no set departure date or location. One travel agent said that in order to fly to BKK, I must have a return (to the USA) ticket. Is this true?
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:40 PM

i believe this is true but in 6 trips i have never been asked to show one....if you are young and look like a back packer they may ask for one however....are you aware of the visa requirements for asian visits??
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

No, I'm not aware. what are the visa requirements for asian visits?
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:34 PM

each country is different...i think thailand allows a 30 visit with no visa...myanmar, bali and cambodia allow visa upon arrival at some entry points...thailand does not...you need to contact each country's web site for details...
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:06 PM

No, that's not quite right. Immigration authorities often want proof of onward travel, to show that you are not planning to remain in the country illegally.

The following is from the consular sheet for Thailand at travel.state.gov

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: U.S. citizen tourists staying for less than 30 days do not require a visa, but must possess a passport and may be asked to show an onward/return ticket. A Passenger Service Charge must be paid in Thai baht when departing the country from any of Thailand's international airports.

When a traveler enters the country, Thai Immigration stamps the date on which the traveler's authorized stay in Thailand will expire in his or her passport. Any traveler remaining in Thailand beyond this date without having received an official extension will be assessed an immediate cash fine when departing Thailand. Any foreigner found by police to be out of legal status prior to departure (during a Thai Immigration “sweep” through a guesthouse, for example) will be jailed, fined, and then deported at his or her own expense, and may be barred from re-entering Thailand.

In this regard, American citizens should be aware that private “visa extension services,” even those advertising in major periodicals or located close to Immigration offices or police stations, are illegal. In 2003, more than ten Americans were arrested at border crossings when the visas and entry stamps they had obtained through these illegal services were discovered to be counterfeit.

Thailand's Entry/Exit information is subject to change without notice. For further information on Thailand's entry/exit requirements, contact the Royal Thai Embassy, 1024 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C., 20007, telephone (202) 944-3600, or Internet website http://www.thaiembdc.org , or the Thai consulates in Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York City.

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry/departure.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:30 PM

You get a 30-day visa-free entry to Thailand each time you enter. SO each time you go to another country and re-enter Thailand, you have another 30 days. If you are planning to saty in Thailand longer than 30 days each visit, you would want to get a visa in advance which is typically for 60 days.

You can get Cambodian visas and Laos visas on arrival at international airports and at most land crossings. Both VN and Burma require a visa in advance (expect for a day crossong of the Burmese border when it is open. In that case, they keep your passport at the border). You can also get any of these visas from their respective embassies in Bangkok.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:54 PM

kathie---maybe when you were away someone reported on here getting a visa upon arrival in yangon...maybe things have changed since we both were there...