Thailand Visas

Jan 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thailand Visas

hey Everybody, I had some questions about the Visa process for Thailand. I gather that it is possible to get the tourist visa at the airport upon arrival. Is this the only way? Are there long lines for this? Is it possible to get visas ahead of time to avoid any possible long lines and go straight to customs? Thanks for all your responses!!! Ken
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM
pat

What are you talking about? Thailand only requires a passport, and not a visa. Am I misunderstanding your question?
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:29 AM

This depends on your nationality, many nationalities 'do' require visas, but the rules vary, tell us your nationality and hopefully we can give you the answer.
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

From your other posts I 'think' you are from NYC, if you have a USA passport you do not need any visa, you will get stamped for 30 days entry ( note 30 days not a month ) on arrival. You only need a tourist visa if you plan to stay more than 30 days in which case you need to get that from a Thai Consulate or Embassy in the US before arrival, but again that is only if you plan to stay for more than 30 days.
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM

there is no visa upon arrival in thailand that i know of and follow james' comments about usa citizens...
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM

As you enter a country, whether you have (or need) a visa or not, you have to go through immigration. As noted, unless you are staying in Thailand for more than 30 consecutive days, you do not need a visa. You will be granted entry on the basis of your US passport.
Jan 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... yes I am of USA nationality... I was a little confused while reading the information on the BIA website (http://www.airportthai.co.th/airportnew/bia/html/)

But now, after reading your posts, and the website again, it makes more sense!!

Thanks again! Ken
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Ken,
If you are from the USA you get a 30 day visa when you arrive. You can extend it by 10 days at the immigration office near Sathorn for 1,900 Baht. Or you can pay an overstay charge of 200 Baht per day at the airport when you leave. You can also visit another country (visa run) during your trip. Many foreigners take a bus to Cambodia every 30 days. If you overstay too long, you can end up in jail. I don't know how long that is, I haven't had the guts to go more that about 10 days. If you pay your fine and express remorse, all is well. Just give yourself a little extra time at the airport when you leave.
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Brad, if you are from the US, you DO NOT get a visa on arrival in Thailand. US citizens (as well as citizens of many other countries) get visa-free entry to Thailand for 30 days. Read the other posts in this thread.

Search this Thread