HCMC - taxi from airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hotel car from the airport seemed very pricey. Are there any tips on taking a taxi from the airport into the city? Thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Have them turn on the meter....
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM

On the few occasions I've opted for a hotel car in Asia, the fare has always been paid by the hotel/hostel. No money changes hands between the pax and the driver.

Now if you're saying that what the HOTEL charged seemed very pricey, then you can always negotiate with the hotel, or do your own thing.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Hotels always seem to charge at least double the rate of a regular taxi, if not more. The cost of a metered cab should be around $5. There's a queue right outside customs.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Renaissance Riverside and according to my Taipei travel agent, the hotel car would be over $50. If I can do a taxi for a fraction of that, I will certainly be happy. Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM

As Michael says, the taxi will be a small fraction of the cost of a hotel car. Just make sure they use the meter.

I'm not sure what afterall is talking about - hotels normally charge for transport - and normally charge MUCH more than a taxi would - unless you've booked a rate that includes transfers.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Lia

I was in HCMC in Dec 2007 and paid US$10 for a taxi from the airport to the Hotel Majestic on Dong Khoi. I prepaid at the taxi booth located just after you exit customs as MichaelBKK says, so no need for the meter. Before I left the US, I read it should cost about US$5 but I was in no mood to haggle and it seemed like a fair price.

When I took one of the taxis outside the hotel back to the airport, they quoted much more and I told them I wouldn't pay more than US$10 since that's what it cost to get there. They said "OK".
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

VERY helpful. Thanks.

We leave tomorrow and will report back on our return.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

We walked over to a taxi desk outside of customs as suggested and hired a taxi for $8.00. Seemed reasonable; paid the desk clerk, who took us to the cab. As we pulled out to leave the airport, the driver stopped and wanted parking lot money, $3.00, which we refused to pay. He called the desk and we spoke to them, refusing to pay again and asking to be taken back to the terminal. At that point, the driver gave up and drove us to our hotel.

We had a great time in HCMC. The festivities for Tet were fun to see and offset any frustration due to the number of galleries, shops and restaurants that were closed. We stayed at the Renaissance Riverside with an upgrade to a river view room. Thoroughly pleasant, though I might be inclined to try the Caravelle if we went back again.

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM

Yes, you only paid $8, but that's $3 more than you should have paid. The parking lot money you speak of is the toll for leaving the airport. It's 10,000 VND, not $3. Good job of telling them you wouldn't pay. Sorry to hear even the taxi desk is now overcharging customers.

Glad you had a nice time. The run up to TET is pretty crazy, especially in the big cities like HCMC.