Search

Arriving in Bangkok 12 hours apart

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arriving in Bangkok 12 hours apart

Hi all,

My fiance is coming from Baghdad and I'm coming from Chicago and we're meeting in Bangkok. He arrives 12 hours before me. Would you suggest that my fiance head to the hotel for the day (he gets in at 10am) and return to the airport to pick me up at 10 pm? Or is it easy enough for me to get a taxi and meet him at the Shangri-la?

Thanks for any advise!
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Well, it's easy enough for you to get a taxi. You have a couple of options; you can walk out front and pick up a taxi on your own, just insist the driver use the meter (cost around 300-400 baht with tolls); you can get get in the "official" taxi line and pay a flat rate (600 baht?), or you could even hire a car from the hotel to come pick you up (email your hotel for cost).

As for him coming back to get you, well, obviously that's your choice. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. You might be tired and a bit overwhelmed if it's your first time there, so it might be nice to have the car waiting from the hotel, or him waiting there for you.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM

The offical taxi line is just outside the terminal and it is not a flat rate. You line up tell the person in the both where you are going. They will give you two slips of paper, one for the taxi driver telling him where to go and a copy for you. You will pay the meter fare plus any tolls abd 50 baht airport fee. All very simple and easy to do. Do not fall for the high price taxis inside. Around 350 baht to your hotel.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I suggest that he go to the hotel and you take a taxi or other transport and you meet at the S-la. It will take hime several hours to clear customs, immigration and get to the hotel. He would have only a little time to relax before he would need to set out to get you. Of course, accelerated reunions can often outweigh logistics. Have fun.ofte
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I agree, let him go to the hotel and relax. It will be easy for you to take a taxi from the airport. If you don't want to have to do anything, you can pre-arrange for a "limo" (Mercedes or Volvo) to pick you up (any of the limo companies) or Julie Taxi. You can also arrange a "Limo" on arrival.

You will want to make a quick visit to the ATM in the airport to get Baht first so you can pay the driver.
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM

send the boy to the hotel....maybe even allow him two hours at patpong or nana if he has been in iraq..

i suggest that you arrange with aac limo to drive you....for about 1200 B round trip you can go to and from the shangri-la...no waiting for a taxi...right into a car after paying the fare... quick ride with not hastles like you might get in a taxi...
money well spent...they would have a sign with your name on it as you exit customs...
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 03:17 AM

I would either hire AAC limo as Bob suggests or if you want to splurge have the hotel limo pick you up which will still be cheaper than having your boyfriend come back to the airport. Send your fiance to the hotel. Meet at the hotel.
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 05:17 AM

As everyone agrees, have him meet you at the hotel, he'll be rested and have unpacked and have the room ready for you, plus have got the Nancy Chandler map and all the orientation ready for the next day tours.

If you can afford it, highly recommend you splurge and have the hotel arrange a car service for you at that time of night. You'll arrive unflustered/unaggrievated at the hotel. Your fiance won't feel bad about not being at the airport to meet you either. Better you meet in the hotel lobby and he can have a nice bathtub run for you instead....

Often flights arrive a little later than planned so this way neither of you waste time unnecessarily at the airport. Our flight got in an hour later than scheduled, why have either of you wait around for no good reason.