Taxi from Bangkok airport

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:30 AM
epi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi from Bangkok airport

I have read postings on the various methods of taking official taxis and limousines from the airport. Most info is about 2 years old. Would someone who has been there recently please update me on the best method to get a cab or limo to our hotel? We don't need expensive, but would like to avoid the "turn your meter on" hassle. Does anyone know how much it will cost to the Sheraton Royal Orchid?
Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:44 AM

I think there have been recent postings, anyway you can go to the taxi counter in arrivals and its all sorted. If you can afford the Sheraton and have a long flight I would head to the Limo counter, nice Sedans clean and comfort, I honestly haven't taken one myself in quite a while but I guess it would be about 600-800 ($15-20), they operate 24/7 and easy. You can get the Sheraton to collect you but I think it would be a great deal more.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Oustide the International Arrival Hall is a Taxi Kiosk. You will tell the attendant which hotel you want to be taken to, she'll write it down on a slip of paper which you will give to your driver. When you arrive at the hotel you pay his meter fare plus an extra 50 baht which he pays back to the kiosk. It's a simple and inexpensive way to get to your hotel from the airport. Your driver might opt to use the Expressway once he's out of the airport and moving towards your hotel. If so, you'll be required to pay the extra cost, but it's not much and will speed up your arrival and will also help to avoid any traffic jams you might otherwise encounter.

Just in case your driver has difficulty in understanding which hotel you want to be taken to, use the internet to print out something from your hotel's website such as a map or the name and address in Thai script that you can hand to him.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:24 AM

I always use the Thai Limo service counter inside the airport after you leave customs. You'll get a nice, big Mercedes, and the people at the desk will write the destination for your driver. (the local abbreviation for the Sheraton Royal orchid is ROH) I can't remember just how much it is - I'm always exhausted from the flight, and just pay at the desk (no negotiation required). You'll need Thai baht. There is an ATM right there in the airport (after you exit customs).
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:27 AM

you can plan on a taxi ride of about 400-500B from the airport to sheraton...if you are coming from the usa, i would suggest that you have an hotel car meet you for several reasons: it will cost around $35-40...first...it will be very hot as it always is and a large car will be appreciated for its excellent a/c and probably a cool bottle of water....sounds silly but if you haven't done it before you will know why after you do it....2nd.. bkk taxis are mostly toyota corollas...they have a small trunk and this often causes trouble with american size suitcases....they are not the greatest at hitching overhanging cases into trunks....3rd--you deserve more comfort...

you can also get an airport limo ride...they have a booth just before the exit door from the main hall to the taxi platform...they are very nice and the cars are mercedes or volvos mostly and significant enough to hold your cases... they may charge 1000-1200B--i'm not sure..

you want to mkes sure that they take the toll road, even late at nite...this will cost you 70-90B more and then may ask for it at the toll booth....

as far as taxi meters are concerned...if they don't put it on as you pull away from the curb, speak up and point to the meter....we prefer the yellow and green taxis...if they fain ignorance....say stop and point to the curb and get out...pay nothing!!!! the meter starts at about 35B and does not click to the next level for quite a while....if it does, you may have a rigged meter (we have found this in many red and blue taxis in the past and thus avoid them)...

it is all very easy when you arrive, just don't let it get to you....many people will approach you in the arrivals hall asking if you want a taxi---don't deal with them....go to the taxi desk or to the limo desk for assistance, if you are not being met....i strongly suggest that you have a car meet you---you will be spent, believe me...
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:49 AM
epi
Original Poster

Thank you all. I think we will go with being met by a hotel car. The only time I would consider using hotel cars is this kind of total exhaustion time. It is annoying to have to even think after travelling 30 hours, particularly for $35-40.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Jed

Sorry to ask a 'stupid' question, but is the charge for the taxi or limo per person, or trip?

If anyone has recent experience, what is the charge for a taxi or limo? (My wife and I are going soon, and will stay at the Royal Orchid).

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:31 PM

Jed
My experience is very recent. I just arrived in BKK two days ago. We opted for a van this time, since there were three of us, and lots of luggage. It cost us 1000baht to come to the city (Sukhumvit area). It is per trip, not per person. We split the bill. A taxi is crowded, but will cost you about 350 baht plus tolls. We just didn't want to split up into three vehicles that could carry all our stuff, that's why we paid for the van.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:40 PM

the least i have ever paid for a taxi into town was just under 300....a limo to sheraton will be 700 plus tolls...it is per car...
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:13 AM

There are eight of us staying at the Hyatt Grand Erawan. What are we up against for a taxi(s) to and from the airport? Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:47 AM

You'll just need multiple taxis. Believe me, there are zillions of taxis - just hire as many as you need, 3 or 4 depending on how much luggage you have.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

it will be about 300 B to the hyatt...for 8 or you with all that luggage i might see if the hotel has a large van however....taxis are only toyota corollas....also 2 or 3 limos might work @700 each depending on amount of luggage
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:53 PM

Thank you!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Jed

Here's our recent experience.

When we got to BKK airport, the heat and crowd was discombobulating. I knew I should not have done it, but I asked an official-looking woman who was dressed nicely and with a badge, if she could direct us to a limosine, and she said that it was 850 BHT. We quickly turned away, and walked along the row of stands inside, and stopped at one marked "limosine". The price was 700, for a Camry. We took it. It turned out to be a regular cab, but we were happy to leave.

Coming back from Royal Orchid, we took a (smaller) cab for 300.

While we were there (on the way back), I saw that the "Limosine" stand next to the right exit door was charging 720 for a Mercedes into town.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM

the normal fare to sheraton is about 700-800B via limo....the taxi by meter, with not much traffic might be 300-400....
i always suggest a limo on your initial arrival, especially if you have travelled very far...

i don't consider that the 850 B was a rip off, but it sounds like you do??
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:45 PM

going to a taxi stand outside the baggage area is the cheapest way to get a cab...they write the amount and hotel down and give it to the next taxi in line. we had rides as low as 300 baht metered ride to the asia hotel from bkk airport (which we tipped another 100 bht because the man was so honest and nice) to 600 baht plus toll fees for the same ride (my daughter made the mistake of using an inside, welldressed official looking woman).

we also experience many taxis that did not want our fare if it was metered. even if we knew it was far...they wanted to negotiate the fare. way too many times this happened so when we did get someone who would use the meter...we tipped up to 1/2 the fare, especially if it was a short ride.

way easier to use bts and subway when we could.

does anyone know if the new airport is connected to public transportation???